onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stadium Improvements

Boslem's Brazil

4 minutes ago, Santa said:

That must have been a bugger if you were sat behind it in the stand on the old seats. I've seen a poor quality clip of that Mansfield game. I think it was the second (non-striped sleeve) Admiral kit that had white shorts and black socks. Our keeper wore red. Did Mansfield go up that year?

I think there was another home defeat against Sheffield United that they filmed from the Railway side. Maybe early 80s adidas kit era.

I'm think they did, thats why the game was televised, think it was around Easter time, I have a confession about that game, after I was filling up at the petrol station in Newcastle and a car full of Mansfield supporters pulled up and asked me the directions to Mansfield, not best pleased with the result  I directed them towards Shrewsbury, telling them to ignore the signs as it was the quickest way, keep going towards Market Drayton and then you will pick up the signs for Mansfield......... Oh well...... !

Advert

I've always thought that TV coverage would look better from that side. But that's probably because loads of goals I remember from a kid looked better from the Railway Side than they did on TV (such as that Lee Mills free kick against Ipswich).
On the very rare occasion that ATV sent the Star Soccer cameras to Vale, they set up a camera position on the Railway side didn't they? I'm sure I've seen footage from there.
Brighton 2 all

Back on topic, it’s nice that the main “gripe” is around the colour of seats around the ground. What Wigan, Charlton, Bury fans etc would give for such worries....?

I’d have no issues with stadium sponsorship, in fact we’d be daft not to. It’s a bit like Barcelona resisting having shirt sponsors all those years, eventually money talks. And if it’s a company that actually gives a damn about the fabric of the club, so much the better.

I’d be happy with the Autonet Arena!! 🥳

48 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

I think it was designed by an 8 year old in a school/club competition if I’m not mistaken.

Not quite but very close. That was the badge before. 

There was a badge in 1982 designed by a child (below)

1982-badge-1024x529.thumb.jpg.a3f198c8cf52b096fe07f936b0b37898.jpg

And then a further design made in 1986:

crest-1986.png.c2f871466e41f7fb506bbfec7b59670a.png

Here's a couple of links to my articles:

1. History of Port Vale crests showing the 1982 and 1986 designs - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2012/05/history-port-vale-club-crests/

2. An article on that competition to design the 1982 crest - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2013/12/the-story-of-port-vales-1982-badge-design/

20 hours ago, Doha said:

The current one was a Gorm initiative, and it just reminds me of Gorm, and his six years of incompetent misery and failure. 

@Doha it wasn't actually. It was a Paul Wildes initiative. I know because at the time they sent me a load of press releases about it. They spent some time on it and based it on the iconic 50's crest.

We all know it's impossible to please every Vale fan but they also asked for feedback and for fans to vote for the new design before adopting it. I'm not really sure what else they could have done...

I did an OVF article on it back in the day here - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2013/01/vale-fans-vote-club-crest/

There's also this PDF presentation (there's no way Norman would have done a presentation like that by the way) on the "philosophy" behind their thinking - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/images/Port-Vale.pdf

Archived