onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Blackpool vs Port Vale friendly

robf

Advert

20 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

All in all a decent run out......Gibbons/Smith/Legge/Montano still the first choice back four with Mills right back cover and Brisley centre back cover and Crookes played well at centre back but is fourth choice and more likely to see action as left back cover....Visser did well and could be a dependable back up for Brown...perhaps next game Cambell-Gordon will get some playing time.

Midfield and again it is as the season ended with Burgess/Joyce/Conlon as first choice and some handy extra cover from the versatile Whitehead pushing for a place....Trickett-Smith did well and young Hurst looks a busy player while trialist Beckford could have something to offer.

Upfront Worrall is nailed on to start probably along with Amoo but Browne had the better game when all said and done....Pope (who like Legge must be in their last season) might struggle with two games a week indeed with a full ninety minutes and perhaps could be considered a super sub.....liked the look of Rodney pace and power and workrate only a bit raw as yet.......as many have said we need a first choice striker signing up because even if the absent Bradbury turns out to be a lower league Harry Kane both Pope and given the injury record Cullen are kinda part-time players and to go into the season without a reliable first choice striker and just a couple of young unproven forwards is a risk....so maybe someone like say Dennis could the sort of proven goalscorer Askey needs to attract.

In summary a decent work out against a good team and the left back from Macc training with us got constantly done be their speed demon but the squad looks balanced with some decent competition for places.....who knows because of their age and U21 status maybe Askey will offer terms to Bradbury and Beckford and considering the injury records of Oyeleke and Cullen it makes sense because if they again miss the majority of the season through injuries and niggles both could be out of the door at the end of the season....but just say that Askey were to offer say Visser a contract and get say someone of the calibre of Dennis then it's been a good summer and the squad even without the unlikely return of Clark and Taylor on loan looks capable of strong season certainly top ten again and play off contenders.

My gut feeling is that Crookes won’t be 4th choice by the end of the season. Yes, it’s only 45 mins in the first friendly, however it brought back memories of when he looked a class act playing CH when he first joined on loan. 

19 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Thought most of the ‘first half’ team gave a decent account of themselves (first pre-season friendly etc.) Visser looked ok as back up. Thought Monty went walkabout on a couple of occasions. I thought Blackpool saw that as our weakness as they attacked down their right side on a number of occasions. I think Askey needs to decide what he wants from his left back. Either A - someone who is comfortable on the ball, can find a pass and decent going forward but lacks positioning or ‘B’ almost the opposite in Crookes. Didn’t think Beckford could get himself into the game. Would probably need another look?

Thought that of the second half side (not assessing the team as a whole as they’ve not really played together and it’s not really about that anyway) Mills played well - looked comfortable on the ball, could put in a decent cross and could be relied upon to be in a position to defend. I can forgive one mistake in a friendly. Burgess looked busy and looked like good solid player. Whitehead did ok. Rodney did ok. Thought that Blackpool saw much more of the ball second half so definitely need to see a lot of these lads again.

Overall, good workout and good for players to start to get their touch back etc. Apart from Visser, not sure about other trial it’s and I don’t think Askey is either.

Look forward to Tuesday.

The way Askey sets up, we need attacking fullbacks to give us creativity. Monty is clearly first choice, however I would like to see competition for him. If Campbell-Gordon isn’t ready, then we need to bring in someone who is. 

1 hour ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

The way Askey sets up, we need attacking fullbacks to give us creativity. Monty is clearly first choice, however I would like to see competition for him. If Campbell-Gordon isn’t ready, then we need to bring in someone who is. 

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

I would imagine that Mills is going to be cover for the left back position

Alex Hurst spent most of last season playing at left back and a fair part of the year before. I would expect him to get at least a half playing there over the next 2 friendlies. Seemed a little odd not to try him there against Blackpool if he has no interest in signing Fitzpatrick. From the pictures of training Campbell-Gordon looks taller and skinnier than last season. He may have had a growth spurt which often slows a player's development for 12 month. I think they mentioned playing Hurst on the left of a front 3 was more of an experiment to see how he would do. When he played further forward it was part of a midfield 4, which is slightly different to playing in a front 3.

3 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

My gut feeling is that Crookes won’t be 4th choice by the end of the season. Yes, it’s only 45 mins in the first friendly, however it brought back memories of when he looked a class act playing CH when he first joined on loan. 

I genuinely can't recall this ? Thought he has always played as a make do left back for us . 

24 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I genuinely can't recall this ? Thought he has always played as a make do left back for us . 

Yes, he played on the left as part of a back 3 and looked really solid and composed on the ball. He then got shifted to LB when we changed to 4 at the back. His natural position is CH, so I’m looking forward to seeing him there this season. 

38 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Yes, he played on the left as part of a back 3 and looked really solid and composed on the ball. He then got shifted to LB when we changed to 4 at the back. His natural position is CH, so I’m looking forward to seeing him there this season. 

Aspin played with a back three in his last couple of games (as someone rightly pointed out to me on another post) and Askey stuck with that for the first 3 or 4 games he was in charge for. Probably his first 5 games were all as a left side centrehalf.

Christ, how far our judgment of players has fallen if we're describing crookes as classy! Glover was classy, as was michael walsh. Crookes was steady, at best, in his most encouraging appearances!

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
10 hours ago, Boslem said:

Christ, how far our judgment of players has fallen if we're describing crookes as classy! Glover was classy, as was michael walsh. Crookes was steady, at best, in his most encouraging appearances!

We are playing in league 2 in case you hadn’t noticed Phil. 

Archived