onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match thread: Blackpool vs Port Vale friendly

robf

Advert

I know it’s our first game. Of the 2 teams we fielded I think we looked better in the first half, more organised, having said that you can well imagine that Smith, Brown and Burgess would be the ones to be regulars out of that second half side. However I thought of the “fringe players” that Browne, Crookes and Trickett-Smith did well. Arguably only the trialist keeper showed enough. 

30 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

This Blackpool co commentator is doing my head in - wish I could mute him. So arrogant and biased towards Blackpool - anyone would think it was Bayern Munich not Blackpool!

I'd imagine the Blackpool fans head was done in by Bowers. Works both ways.

As for the game, it wasn't due to no crowd as we possibly wouldn't of got 1000 anyway but I found it a non event.

Haven't taken anything from the game apart from Rodney looks a unit who could have a lot on his young shoulders.

Not scaremongering but incredibly concerning that Manny and Cullen are being nursed already. Sounds so negative I know but with their injuries that's why I'm feeling that way 

Hamilton misses another sitter.

Really lacking in creativity, too many long balls and not enough composure on the ball. 

Maybe unfair to judge Fitzpatrick again Hamilton, but he murdered us 2nd half. Thought Mills looked steady enough. Rodney showed glimpses but not ready to be a loan striker just yet. 

Thought Monty was probably the standout player.

After watching that, which was good to see Vale play again- so thanks to the team that got it going.  Show's we need a Striker with experience, but they cost so will it be in the new budget rules we are now adhering to?

As the commentators said, will many teams look as good as Blackpool did?  Yes is my thought.

You can never say how we will do from friendlies.  Players are getting back their match fitness and JA will be trying things out.  

Roll on the next game and the new shirt looks good on the players.

Scoring goals is going to be the biggest challenge we'll face now that Taylor is no longer here. But we won't play teams as decent as Blackpool every week. A good workout for a lot of players. Good to see them back and as others have said the new strip looks decent in the flesh. Plenty of time to improve our fitness. But we do need more goals from somewhere.

I'm not too worried if one or two are not in the squad today. Anyone with any kind of niggle, however small, is better rested. No need to take any risks.

Normally we start with non league teams and work our way up, so this was a harder first game than we usually get. And it't their thirds match I think so they are ahead of us fitness wise.

Askey should learn a lot from that.

Keeping in mind that was our first outing and Blackpools 3rd game, think it was a decent run out for us. Nice to see competition for places, we still have no cutting edge up top. Thought trickett-smith played well and apart from the mix up for the goal, Zak mills looks like he could be a regular. Very early days, im hoping for a fourth striker though.

I'm sure Askey knows we need a goal scorer but there again so does every club in the country, first game back against a very strong Blackpool side, I can't believe we will start the season without signing a striker, as Sage has said we normally start off against lower league teams to get condition, so to go against Blackers is a big jump up from a kick about on the training pitch. In Askey we trust.

First half was much better than the second where, Burgess apart, we lacked any creativity in midfield and where, generally, our passing and movement were poor. This was a stiff challenge from a Blackpool team who were clearly the better side, with more skilful and quicker individual players, on their third game together, yet we coped reasonably well. CJ Hamilton looks like the quickest player I've seen for a long time. 

On that performance and with the injury-prone Cullen and Manny already rested, we desperately need a proven striker and goalscoring midfielder. Promising as he looked, it's too much to ask a young inexperienced lad like Rodney to step up. He needs time and so the club needs to use the boat out to sign a proven goalscorer. Finding one, though, is not going to be easy. 

For me, best eleven from today were: Brown; Gibbo, Legge, Smith, Monty; Burgess, Joyce, Conlon; Amoo, Pope, Worrall. No surprises there then!

Decent workout, and to echo everyone else, Just great to see Vale playing football again.

Positives- I thought Crookes looked comfortable at CH and could well challenge for a first team spot rather than be 4th choice. Love Monty, the most composed player we have on the ball and offers an attacking threat. Browne also looked comfortable on the ball and created chances. Good finish by Burgess for the goal, hopefully he can add to his tally from last year. Rodney looks like he could be a handful, I like what he brings to the table. The trialist keeper didn’t put a foot wrong. DTS looked energetic. 

Negatives- Pope’s penalty miss and generally looking out of sorts. Will surely be an impact player rather than a starter, and makes the 4th striker signing crucial. We generally didn’t keep the ball well in midfield, Joyce’s mistake nearly led to a goal and the midfield overall was laboured. Mills’ mistake for the goal, although he recovered and put in a few dangerous balls. The trialist LB got caught out on numerous occasions, and doesn’t look the answer (although difficult job against CJ Hamilton)

Overall, held our own against a decent league 1 side. Plenty to work on and space for another midfielder and striker in the squad. UTV. 

Thought we did alright. Didn't create much, so a bit hard to judge young Rodney. But he didn't look out of his depth. Peaked at 4,300 viewers. Not bad for a friendly! Entertainment provided to us free of charge by the club. I wish they would have a voluntary donation button on the website. I'd donate a tenner for their trouble, and giving me something to do again at 16.00 on a Sat.

Strange game mate,as I thought Rodney was far more lively than Pope lol

First half was much better than the second where, Burgess apart, we lacked any creativity in midfield and where, generally, our passing and movement were poor. This was a stiff challenge from a Blackpool team who were clearly the better side, with more skilful and quicker individual players, on their third game together, yet we coped reasonably well. CJ Hamilton looks like the quickest player I've seen for a long time. 
On that performance and with the injury-prone Cullen and Manny already rested, we desperately need a proven striker and goalscoring midfielder. Promising as he looked, it's too much to ask a young inexperienced lad like Rodney to step up. He needs time and so the club needs to use the boat out to sign a proven goalscorer. Finding one, though, is not going to be easy. 
For me, best eleven from today were: Brown; Gibbo, Legge, Smith, Monty; Burgess, Joyce, Conlon; Amoo, Pope, Worrall. No surprises there then!

Archived