Disagree with you about the Fury one. The odds at the time were very much on Klitschko to win , with many pundits and ex boxers writing Fury off way before the fight started. Many boxing publishers like Ring magazine and Boxing monthly have claimed this be one of the biggest shockers in the last ten years. Whilst Fury was undefeated no one expected him to win that night. 

Klitschko was 1/4, Fury was 3/1. In boxing terms that's not a huge underdog.

To put the cat among the pigeons, I know exactly what you are saying about boxing upsets but in a two horse race with both men having "a puncher's chance" I'm not sure you can classify them as greatest upsets. You have 'only' to beat one person in front of you. 

Wasn't Liston 8-1 on when he fought Clay in 64? Something like that. That was a huge upset. Old 'uns will remember that one.

Don't know if this one can be considered as a massive upset as I can't really remember much about it. But I remember everyone being shocked when Greece won the 2004 euro , especially beating the home nation Portugal in the final.

Edited by boslemportvale91

Perhaps the biggest upset and  certainly the most controversial victory in sport was the USA v USSR 1972 Olympic Basketball Final. 

The USA had won all 7 previous Olympic titles dating back to the Jesse Owens games of 1936.

Then this happened ! 

Now that’s controversy! 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

21 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Perhaps the biggest upset and  certainly the most controversial victory in sport was the USA v USSR 1972 Olympic Basketball Final. 

The USA had won all 7 previous Olympic titles dating back to the Jesse Owens games of 1936.

Then this happened ! 

Now that’s controversy! 

The 3 second clock wasn’t the biggest ‘cheat’ during that period of time. America (and many other countries) abided by the amateur rule for olympics (as daft as it was), and so no nba players took part. The Russians just registered their players as soldiers or similar, and therefore played their best team. It hadn’t stopped America dominating previously, but it wasn’t Russia upsetting the best players in the world, as the best weren’t able to play. 

if we are going to include upsets where controversy is involved, I can’t think of a bigger, more obvious corrupt outcome than Roy Jones jr having a gold medal stolen during the 1988 Olympics in Korea. Boxing at Olympics has been mired in controversy to this day, but this one was the worst.

• Like 1

Interesting stuff.

From memory wasn't there also a big ice hockey upset at the Olympics one year? I980? The 4 time gold medallists the Soviet Union lost to the USA I think. I vaguely recall Alan Weeks' commentary.

Joe Johnson in 1986 was 150-1 to win the World Snooker Championship.  When he beat Steve Davies in the final it was a huge upset.  Davies got revenge the following year beating Johnson in the 1987 final, which is also the closest any first time winner has come to defending the title at the Crucible.

When the FA Cup was treated with the respect it deserved, 1st Division (now Premier) Burnley’s 1975 home defeat to then non league Wimbledon was a huge shock. 

Premier league Burnley then of course lost again to non league Lincoln in the same competition a few seasons ago. 

Once is unlucky. Twice is careless ! 

Edited by RailwayRowdy