Irish horse He Knows No Fear beat odds of 300-1 today when landing a maidens mile race at Leopardstown, making him the longest odds winner in racing history ! 

In his only other start he was sent off at 250-1 before finishing 12th of 14 !

What other sporting upsets can beat this ? 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Football wise, I suppose you are looking at teams like Hereford, Sutton and Lincoln (not long back) who I think all defeated Premier League teams in the Cup when non league clubs. So fifth tier defeating first tier.

Becker winning Wimbledon as an unseeded 17 year old in 1985 crossed my mind, as did 22 year old unseeded qualifier Sean Murphy winning the 2005 World Snooker Championship.

For the older generation, Foinavon winning the 1967 Grand National was historic, but only at odds of 100/1. 

But it WAS the Grand National. 

Burslem Port Vale beating Sheffield United after a replay in 1898. Vale finished 5th in the Midland league whilst they won the 1st division (Stoke were bottom). They went on to be in 3 of the next 4 FA cup finals winning it twice.  

Boxing -Fury beating klitschko and Ruiz beating Joshua 
Football - Oldham beating Liverpool in the fa cup and Bradford hammering Chelsea two seasons after. 
I hate to bring this one up as it still haunts me to this day but Chasetown beating us in the FA cup.
Fury beating Klitschko? Hardly a major upset that!

Douglas beating Tyson was the biggest up set in boxing history. Douglas was a 40/1 outsider in a three horse race.

Corrie Sanders beating Klitschko was a huge upset. As were both of Lennox Lewis' defeats to Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall

On 14/08/2020 at 04:40, boslemportvale91 said:

Boxing -Fury beating klitschko and Ruiz beating Joshua 

Football - Oldham beating Liverpool in the fa cup and Bradford hammering Chelsea two seasons after. 

I hate to bring this one up as it still haunts me to this day but Chasetown beating us in the FA cup.

Whist it does give me nightmares, that was the worst vale side I've ever seen.

We weren't even much better than them on paper I don't think

Good topic, in football terms have to agree with Leicester and Greece, stunning upsets, where no one would have put money on either team.  Close to home for me as a cricket fan (as well as football fan) is England losing  to the Netherlands in the 2009 2020 world cup. 

A similar disaster that afflicted England, this time in the football world cup, was losing 1-0 to the USA in the 1950 World Cup Finals, and being eliminated as a result.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Fury beating Klitschko? Hardly a major upset that!

Douglas beating Tyson was the biggest up set in boxing history. Douglas was a 40/1 outsider in a three horse race.

Corrie Sanders beating Klitschko was a huge upset. As were both of Lennox Lewis' defeats to Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall

Disagree with you about the Fury one. The odds at the time were very much on Klitschko to win , with many pundits and ex boxers writing Fury off way before the fight started. Many boxing publishers like Ring magazine and Boxing monthly have claimed this be one of the biggest shockers in the last ten years. Whilst Fury was undefeated no one expected him to win that night. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Whist it does give me nightmares, that was the worst vale side I've ever seen.

We weren't even much better than them on paper I don't think

True but Chasetown being the lowest team to reach the third round at the time definitely made it in the history books.

Luke Rogers two penalties misses still gives me anxiety whenever the vale get rewarded a penalty to this day. 

On 15/08/2020 at 13:04, boslemportvale91 said:

True but Chasetown being the lowest team to reach the third round at the time definitely made it in the history books.

Luke Rogers two penalties misses still gives me anxiety whenever the vale get rewarded a penalty to this day. 

Very true mate!

A horrendous night that's for sure