onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sporting upsets

RailwayRowdy

5 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Fury beating Klitschko? Hardly a major upset that!

Douglas beating Tyson was the biggest up set in boxing history. Douglas was a 40/1 outsider in a three horse race.

Corrie Sanders beating Klitschko was a huge upset. As were both of Lennox Lewis' defeats to Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall

Disagree with you about the Fury one. The odds at the time were very much on Klitschko to win , with many pundits and ex boxers writing Fury off way before the fight started. Many boxing publishers like Ring magazine and Boxing monthly have claimed this be one of the biggest shockers in the last ten years. Whilst Fury was undefeated no one expected him to win that night. 

Advert

3 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Whist it does give me nightmares, that was the worst vale side I've ever seen.

We weren't even much better than them on paper I don't think

True but Chasetown being the lowest team to reach the third round at the time definitely made it in the history books.

Luke Rogers two penalties misses still gives me anxiety whenever the vale get rewarded a penalty to this day. 

On 15/08/2020 at 13:04, boslemportvale91 said:

True but Chasetown being the lowest team to reach the third round at the time definitely made it in the history books.

Luke Rogers two penalties misses still gives me anxiety whenever the vale get rewarded a penalty to this day. 

Very true mate!

A horrendous night that's for sure 

Disagree with you about the Fury one. The odds at the time were very much on Klitschko to win , with many pundits and ex boxers writing Fury off way before the fight started. Many boxing publishers like Ring magazine and Boxing monthly have claimed this be one of the biggest shockers in the last ten years. Whilst Fury was undefeated no one expected him to win that night. 

Klitschko was 1/4, Fury was 3/1. In boxing terms that's not a huge underdog.

To put the cat among the pigeons, I know exactly what you are saying about boxing upsets but in a two horse race with both men having "a puncher's chance" I'm not sure you can classify them as greatest upsets. You have 'only' to beat one person in front of you. 

Wasn't Liston 8-1 on when he fought Clay in 64? Something like that. That was a huge upset. Old 'uns will remember that one.

Perhaps the biggest upset and  certainly the most controversial victory in sport was the USA v USSR 1972 Olympic Basketball Final. 

The USA had won all 7 previous Olympic titles dating back to the Jesse Owens games of 1936.

Then this happened ! 

Now that’s controversy! 

21 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Perhaps the biggest upset and  certainly the most controversial victory in sport was the USA v USSR 1972 Olympic Basketball Final. 

The USA had won all 7 previous Olympic titles dating back to the Jesse Owens games of 1936.

Then this happened ! 

Now that’s controversy! 

The 3 second clock wasn’t the biggest ‘cheat’ during that period of time. America (and many other countries) abided by the amateur rule for olympics (as daft as it was), and so no nba players took part. The Russians just registered their players as soldiers or similar, and therefore played their best team. It hadn’t stopped America dominating previously, but it wasn’t Russia upsetting the best players in the world, as the best weren’t able to play. 

if we are going to include upsets where controversy is involved, I can’t think of a bigger, more obvious corrupt outcome than Roy Jones jr having a gold medal stolen during the 1988 Olympics in Korea. Boxing at Olympics has been mired in controversy to this day, but this one was the worst.

When the FA Cup was treated with the respect it deserved, 1st Division (now Premier) Burnley’s 1975 home defeat to then non league Wimbledon was a huge shock. 

Premier league Burnley then of course lost again to non league Lincoln in the same competition a few seasons ago. 

Once is unlucky. Twice is careless ! 

• 5 months later...
On 13/08/2020 at 15:31, RailwayRowdy said:

Becker winning Wimbledon as an unseeded 17 year old in 1985 crossed my mind, as did 22 year old unseeded qualifier Sean Murphy winning the 2005 World Snooker Championship.

For the older generation, Foinavon winning the 1967 Grand National was historic, but only at odds of 100/1. 

But it WAS the Grand National. 

My brother , who knows nothing about horses, had 10 shillings on Foinavon. 

The miracle on ice. The U.S. hockey team, made up of college players, defeated the four-time defending gold-medal winning Soviet team at the XIII Olympic Winter Games in Lake Placid New York. The Soviets were beaten by an American team, average age 22, 4-3.

The Soviet squad was reckoned at the time to be the finest in the world by a country mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSkc6c35A4Q

Archived