onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sporting upsets

RailwayRowdy

Irish horse He Knows No Fear beat odds of 300-1 today when landing a maidens mile race at Leopardstown, making him the longest odds winner in racing history ! 

In his only other start he was sent off at 250-1 before finishing 12th of 14 !

What other sporting upsets can beat this ? 

Advert

Becker winning Wimbledon as an unseeded 17 year old in 1985 crossed my mind, as did 22 year old unseeded qualifier Sean Murphy winning the 2005 World Snooker Championship.

For the older generation, Foinavon winning the 1967 Grand National was historic, but only at odds of 100/1. 

But it WAS the Grand National. 

Boxing -Fury beating klitschko and Ruiz beating Joshua 
Football - Oldham beating Liverpool in the fa cup and Bradford hammering Chelsea two seasons after. 
I hate to bring this one up as it still haunts me to this day but Chasetown beating us in the FA cup.
Fury beating Klitschko? Hardly a major upset that!

Douglas beating Tyson was the biggest up set in boxing history. Douglas was a 40/1 outsider in a three horse race.

Corrie Sanders beating Klitschko was a huge upset. As were both of Lennox Lewis' defeats to Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall

On 14/08/2020 at 04:40, boslemportvale91 said:

Boxing -Fury beating klitschko and Ruiz beating Joshua 

Football - Oldham beating Liverpool in the fa cup and Bradford hammering Chelsea two seasons after. 

I hate to bring this one up as it still haunts me to this day but Chasetown beating us in the FA cup.

Whist it does give me nightmares, that was the worst vale side I've ever seen.

We weren't even much better than them on paper I don't think

Good topic, in football terms have to agree with Leicester and Greece, stunning upsets, where no one would have put money on either team.  Close to home for me as a cricket fan (as well as football fan) is England losing  to the Netherlands in the 2009 2020 world cup. 

A similar disaster that afflicted England, this time in the football world cup, was losing 1-0 to the USA in the 1950 World Cup Finals, and being eliminated as a result.

Archived