Macclesfield relegated after efl appeal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very sad for Macc whose fans and players do not deserve this whereas Stevenage's players did.

This is completely wrong. How can the EFL get this, Wigan and Sheff Wednesday wrong so badly? Are they just flipping a coin or something?

You took the words right out of my......keyboard!

10 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

It's not the fans or the players who are to blame at Macc, it is solely the owner.  The EFL needs to change its rules so that owners can be punished in some way rather than the players and fans.  Alkadhi failed to pay wages on numerous occasions during the season, why could the League not sanction him personally with fines?  Why could they not have a system in place where a team from the League moves in to run the club and removes the golden share from Alkhadi?  He would clearly not pass the owners and directors test now so why is he allowed to stay?

I couldn't agree more. However, on a very selfish level, at least there's now an away trip within an hour's drive of Aylesbury. With the likes of Harrogate and Barrow coming in and Swindon/Northampton going up, some of the journey times from the SE were looking horrendous. However, that's strictly a personal bonus - I still that morally it's awful for Macc players and fans.

9 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Ethically it’s the right decision, but as others have stated, no consistency with Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday. EFL are not fit for purpose

Absolutely.  This important decision should have been a priority months ago. Correct one to make but oh my God aren't the Authorities totally inept.  Feel for the fans and proper people behind the Club. Will miss the visit there.

Literally couldn't care less about the ethics of it all; I'm just fuming a good away day and proper club have been nailed whilst a team with about 8 points have bungled another year in this league.

17 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Literally couldn't care less about the ethics of it all; I'm just fuming a good away day and proper club have been nailed whilst a team with about 8 points have bungled another year in this league.

It's bonkers that we've had so many controversies and inconsistencies in recent years - Wigan, Blackpool, Bury and so on - and yet the EFL has done nothing to look at possible solutions to bad ownership.

I can appreciate it isn't be as easy as simply creating new rules out of thin air but they could at least take steps to start looking into the process. For instance, if they'd have said they were setting up a working committee to look into ownership issues and for it to come up with some recommendations. That would at least be a start.

But to just come up with these seemingly arbitrary and often conflicting decisions and to not address either the root cause of them (bad owners) or come up with some consistency in punishment is just rubbish...

Just now, robf said:

It's bonkers that we've had so many controversies and inconsistencies in recent years - Wigan, Blackpool, Bury and so on - and yet the EFL has done nothing to look at possible solutions to bad ownership.

I can appreciate it isn't be as easy as simply creating new rules out of thin air but they could at least take steps to start looking into the process. For instance, if they'd have said they were setting up a working committee to look into ownership issues and for it to come up with some recommendations. That would at least be a start.

But to just come up with these seemingly arbitrary and often conflicting decisions and to not address either the root cause of them (bad owners) or come up with some consistency in punishment is just rubbish...

They're seemingly trapped in 'if the owner is bad, the club must be punished!' cycle.

It makes little to no sense, especially in the Wigan case, when the owner benefits from this entire affair and its the employees and fans who take the hit.

There has to be another way around. Clubs need to start being viewed for what they are; one of the last bastions of community in an increasingly isolated and fragmented country. If we get a shift in mentality there, hopefully we will see less of this corporate approach to financial misdeeds, which end up only punishing those not at fault, but with the most emotional investment.

I don't understand contract/corporate law enough, but there needs to be some liability on the directors for when the club goes belly up. You'd stop loads of conmen entering football if they knew there would be severe financial consequences if they start messing about.

Right now they're just absconding and leave the fans to pick up the ruins. Sick of it.

Every time I think the EFL has demonstrated its incompetence in managing L2, I remind myself of the utter chaos, ineptitude and moral bankruptcy that they've displayed in the Championship. I've lost track of the detail but when you have Sheffield Wednesday avoiding relegation despite fielding players they couldn't afford (and taking six points off relegated Charlton in the process) and Derby also likely to avoid a points deduction in 2019-20 season for allegedly similar offences, there is something seriously wrong with their governance. It's so serious the EFL itself needs to be investigated but can anyone tell me anyone in football who would have the competence to do it?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-wigan-points-deduction-4409045

• 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, ginginator said:

Very sad this    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

😞  More to follow, I detest the EFL and the treatment it gives clubs, which seems to be biased re points deductions etc. But they also dont do enough for the struggling clubs

Says in one report that John Askey is owed £173,000.

Edited by mbycars