onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bury FC statement by Steve Dale

Iron Curtain

Advert

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

This gave me nightmares and flashbacks to Norman Smurthwaite and his lies.

shudder

Thank Goodness for Carol and Kevin!

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/latest-statement-07-08-2020/august/statement-from-the-chairman/

So why did he buy the club?  And why did he not get someone with a basic grasp of grammar and punctuation to write his press release?

Its stuff like this which is the primary motivator for the salary cap.

Is it the best option? Probably not.

However, if it prevents cretins like this lad and his predecessor annihilating pillars of community, then get it going.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

why did he not get someone with a basic grasp of grammar and punctuation to write his press release?

I think he's laid them all off 😉

It's a weird fantasy statement - I feel so sorry for the long suffering Bury fans.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

So why did he buy the club?  And why did he not get someone with a basic grasp of grammar and punctuation to write his press release?

are you sure it isnt the one who must not be named (the fat controller) our sympathies must be with our old pals at bury, good luck with that one, starve him out and get your club back.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thank buddah for carol and kevin.

54 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Its stuff like this which is the primary motivator for the salary cap.

Is it the best option? Probably not.

However, if it prevents cretins like this lad and his predecessor annihilating pillars of community, then get it going.

Maybe a fit and proper person test that is one, and some meaningful FFP that is not as full of holes as a cullender would be better. Salary cap seems a bit of a blunt instrument. But we voted for it, so if Carol thinks that it is a good thing that's fine by me.

He does come across as very Smurthwaite-esque. The self pity.

53 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Maybe a fit and proper person test that is one, and some meaningful FFP that is not as full of holes as a cullender would be better. Salary cap seems a bit of a blunt instrument. But we voted for it, so if Carol thinks that it is a good thing that's fine by me.

He does come across as very Smurthwaite-esque. The self pity.

I agree, the salary cap is not ideal, but it's at least a recognition that the Wild West system we've had in place for the last couple of decades can't continue. Its a shame the Bury fans had to lose their club for this to happen, but that's an indictment on the footballing authorities. 

I think the salary cap will be adjusted/tweaked over the years to make it more sensible. It'll hopefully lead to proper governance of football finances which is ultimately the end goal.

The only way things can change and the toothless, incompetent EFL/FA will get anywhere is the DCMS spearheading a legislation change to company law where professional football clubs are a special category of business with specific, strict obligations for company directors and governing body standards apply to all aspects of club finance. At this stage converting to a German 50+1 model would probably be impossible because of the widespread private ownership but a frog in the pot slow burn conversion to year on year stricter regulations and enforcing sensible ownership by special sports law, where clubs are community assets, might be the only way to recover. 

I don't understand what's going on right now:

Steve Dale still owns Bury FC (+ the ground) but they can't compete in any leagues

But there is an AFC Bury which is due to start at the bottom of the football ladder this season. I imagine the 'Bury FC' fans will start following 'AFC Bury'?

What happens if say, in 6 months, Steve Dale decides to sell Bury FC to a Lancashire version of Carol and Kevin and the fans are back onside again with the original 'Bury FC'?

What happens to 'AFC Bury' in that instance? Would Bury FC and AFC Bury both be playing in the same league starting from the bottom?

It's a sorry mess and after suffering Smurthwaite I really really feel for the fans.

Bury fans have had somewhat of a civil war. Their forum got locked down, lots of people banned, I think it's offline totally now. Lots of politics. The last I read some were drafting written questions to the EFL demanding to know why Smurthwaite, supposedly, according to them, had been deemed non grata by the EFL. 

23 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I don't understand what's going on right now:

Steve Dale still owns Bury FC (+ the ground) but they can't compete in any leagues

But there is an AFC Bury which is due to start at the bottom of the football ladder this season. I imagine the 'Bury FC' fans will start following 'AFC Bury'?

What happens if say, in 6 months, Steve Dale decides to sell Bury FC to a Lancashire version of Carol and Kevin and the fans are back onside again with the original 'Bury FC'?

What happens to 'AFC Bury' in that instance? Would Bury FC and AFC Bury both be playing in the same league starting from the bottom?

It's a sorry mess and after suffering Smurthwaite I really really feel for the fans.

They could always merge but feelings run high in such cases.  Clubs don`t necessarily  start at tier 13, it would  depend at what level  there is a vacancy, an ex FL club under new and competent  ownership would have a better case than a start -up.  Still a sorry state of affairs.

15 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

They could always merge but feelings run high in such cases.  

I don't think there will be any chance of a merger while Dale has any connection and it sadly doesn't look like he's moving on. Is that because he's sitting on the prime asset of the stadium?

30 minutes ago, robf said:

I don't think there will be any chance of a merger while Dale has any connection and it sadly doesn't look like he's moving on. Is that because he's sitting on the prime asset of the stadium?

Nor do I in those circumstances, the list is long of ground disputes,  Coventry, Brighton,  etc which drag on for years.

Archived