onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fans Returning to VP

NLVMalc

Advert

I think we all knew that we weren't going to get to games for most of this season and my concern was that we would only sell 1 or 2 thousand season tickets. The fact we've sold 4k is not only fantastic it should also mean the club can pay the Bills we might not be able to do a lot of the stadium and team improvements we would of liked but we should be ok. On the subject of premier league money I dont think they should give us anything it will only come with terms and conditions that will be favourable to them. Just because we have great owners doesn't mean all clubs have and would anyone have been really expecting the club to benefit from any money recieved when Norm was at the helm

On 20/09/2020 at 22:59, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
On 20/09/2020 at 17:54, Yardley Valiant said:
As a ST holder living in Birmingham I could technically come to VP but I would be travelling in from an area with recent restrictions imposed. I wouldn't feel comfortable in going to a game knowing this and I don't think it is a good idea either although I don't think I would be breaking any rules as such. I wonder if there are fans in a similar position either from the Birmingham area or elsewhere under restrictions? If it were possible I would prefer to watch games online until it is safe to travel as it is different for people who live outside of the S-o-T area.

Also Brum based its complicated atm isn't it.

And here's me thinking I was the only one - hello to both of you from Northfield! I admire the commitment to have a ST despite the distance. For me, given family commitments and the expense and time taken getting to VP (usually by public transport), I don't make it to many games any more, so ironically I'm going to end up watching more matches this season (assuming the streaming arrangements continue) than at any point in the last decade. Of course I really wish it wasn't the case and feel incredibly guilty that I'm gaining in such a way whilst all you wonderful people lose out on the match-day experience, but it is what it is.

Perhaps there is a way that non-ST holders like me, when purchasing an iFollow match pass could (voluntarily) contribute a little extra towards a fund which will then be divvied up at the end of the season to ST holders as part of any compensation package? Could help reduce any potential losses from the club, as well as showing our thanks (and assuaging my guilt!) towards those who shelled out on a ST despite all the current problems, and who may justifiably want/need a partial refund. Don't know if it's feasible, and I don't know how significant a contribution it would make (how many match passes have been bought for each game so far?), but just a thought.

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

Thing is we’re not talking millions for league 2 clubs, the wage spurs are paying Bale per week would be enough to tide a L2 club over for most of the season.

I think a 'Bale week' should become the new footballing unit of currency. For example the L2 salary cap is 5 Bale weeks, and Macclesfield have just gone to the wall for the sake of 2 Bale weeks of debt (FFS). A time like this with the very existence of so many clubs on a knife-edge should be the point at which the gross disparity in income between PL and Championship and between Championship and the rest comes into sharp focus and some form of redistributive action is finally seriously considered. But we know this kind of full root-and-branch reevaluation of football finances won't happen, because there is no incentive for those in charge of the game to do anything other than return to the pre-COVID status quo.

This should also come on top of a one-off rescue package from govt/PL clubs, although if it does come from PL money, I share @Quebec_Valiant's concern that it would be conditional on factors that would be to the detriment of lower-league clubs in the long term. I also concur with @dishydave that some of any bail-out would be diverted to Chairmen's pockets before getting to clubs, however you can't let all clubs suffer and/or go to the wall just because a few of them are run by charlatans (which is a separate issue requiring intervention as discussed elsewhere).

9 minutes ago, Clayts said:

I think a 'Bale week' should become the new footballing unit of currency. For example the L2 salary cap is 5 Bale weeks, and Macclesfield have just gone to the wall for the sake of 2 Bale weeks of debt (FFS). A time like this with the very existence of so many clubs on a knife-edge should be the point at which the gross disparity in income between PL and Championship and between Championship and the rest comes into sharp focus and some form of redistributive action is finally seriously considered. But we know this kind of full root-and-branch reevaluation of football finances won't happen, because there is no incentive for those in charge of the game to do anything other than return to the pre-COVID status quo.

This should also come on top of a one-off rescue package from govt/PL clubs, although if it does come from PL money, I share @Quebec_Valiant's concern that it would be conditional on factors that would be to the detriment of lower-league clubs in the long term. I also concur with @dishydave that some of any bail-out would be diverted to Chairmen's pockets before getting to clubs, however you can't let all clubs suffer and/or go to the wall just because a few of them are run by charlatans (which is a separate issue requiring intervention as discussed elsewhere).

I like the Bale week thing, great idea and puts things into perspective.Macc going to the wall for the sake of 2 Bale weeks, although Mac’s owner was a shady character allegedly.

We will be losing a fortune with no match day revenue coming in, which must run easily into the tens of thousands of pounds.
I would say we're losing 25k for an average home game up to 60k when teams like Bolton come to town. On the other side of the business they are losing about 30k a year just from the driver awareness courses that haven't happened let alone all the conferences they hosted on a weekly basis

Are Vale actually losing that much from Match day revenue though. Yeah obviously down, but luckily we've still sold approx 4000 STs. So technically say we have lost around 1000 pay of the day, but then the club now receives the money from Ifollow. Now ok that is only around half the price of a match day ticket. However Vale do now get money from away games, providing more than 500 pay for the Ifollow, whereas before away teams got nothing.
So basically in short the club needs as many fans as possible to pay for the Ifollow especially the away games as at least that will help in some respects.

48 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Just seen the Colchester owner on sky sports saying how can people sit on an aeroplane with 300 other people but we can’t have a few thousand people in a10000 capacity stadium in the open air he wants it to be down the grounds safety committee and not the government 

There are a few anomalies and I wonder if the government is treating all clubs in the same way ie. if the bigger teams with huge attendances are not allowed to play then no one plays.

It doesn't seem right to me. Even if we take an example say of half our ticket holders attending every other game ie. 2,000 in a 20,000 seater stadium, or 10% capacity. I'm sure with careful planning that could be achieved as safely as walking round a shopping centre, spending an hour inside a big supermarket, several hours in a pub or on a plane.

I'm not minimising the risks and the problems but a lot of this seems inconsistent. Of course we can't bring back 70,000 fans at Old Trafford. I get that. But lower league/non league clubs with bigger grounds and relatively small attendances could I'm sure manage with great care, especially if the local council and health officials are involved.

Or is my pent up frustration just showing through?

22 minutes ago, TheSage said:

There are a few anomalies and I wonder if the government is treating all clubs in the same way ie. if the bigger teams with huge attendances are not allowed to play then no one plays.

It doesn't seem right to me. Even if we take an example say of half our ticket holders attending every other game ie. 2,000 in a 20,000 seater stadium, or 10% capacity. I'm sure with careful planning that could be achieved as safely as walking round a shopping centre, spending an hour inside a big supermarket, several hours in a pub or on a plane.

I'm not minimising the risks and the problems but a lot of this seems inconsistent. Of course we can't bring back 70,000 fans at Old Trafford. I get that. But lower league/non league clubs with bigger grounds and relatively small attendances could I'm sure manage with great care, especially if the local council and health officials are involved.

Or is my pent up frustration just showing through?

It is up to L1 and L2  to forceably press their case for their % proposals,  or allow seats only.   The Prem have their TV money coming in, but I suppose  missing their hospitality money is the icing on the cake.  But the bottom  2/3 are not so fortunate.   Maybe if the rate of increase slows there maybe a chance of a re-think.  

4 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

Are Vale actually losing that much from Match day revenue though. Yeah obviously down, but luckily we've still sold approx 4000 STs. So technically say we have lost around 1000 pay of the day, but then the club now receives the money from Ifollow. Now ok that is only around half the price of a match day ticket. However Vale do now get money from away games, providing more than 500 pay for the Ifollow, whereas before away teams got nothing.
So basically in short the club needs as many fans as possible to pay for the Ifollow especially the away games as at least that will help in some respects.

I think there’s more revenue that we’re losing from a matchday. Away ticket sales, walk up home fans buying tickets. Fans in the ground paying for food, programmes, drinks, parking and even visiting the club shop. All the corporate stuff with the meals, drinks and various packages for the boxes and suites. There are hundreds of people in the Lorne St upstairs every game.  On top of that you’ve got all the events and business stuff that goes on in the ground on a non matchday too. 

The points made about Bale are so true. It’s obscene that 1 weeks wages from some of the top names would keep a lower league going for months. It’s not the players fault, that’s the nature of the game these days. But when you see clubs like arsenal laying off staff and then paying hundreds of thousands a week to a 32 year old in Willian then it just shows that the money is going out of the game in players wages. 

I really hope that clubs at our level can make a case for allowing fans in. 

Archived