onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinel: 'The club I love' - Former Sentinel editor Martin Tideswell joins Port Vale

News Feed

Advert

I do think it's a sign of the times that Vale can attract the former editor of the local newspaper to look over communications. I couldn't have seen that happening under previous owners. Good luck to Martin and the club, I hope this continues to drive us onwards and upwards.

11 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

It’s great news overall, especially given his past record of exposing wrongdoing at the club. No exaggeration to suggest without his work, Vale may have gone under. 

Good luck to him, and I harbour no ill will, but I disagree here.

He initially backed V2001 (very prominently in his paper, with an infamous saying I remember clearly) when protests started, levelling some very personal comments at Mike Newton about his appearance. He didn't come around till one of the Baddeley Green Working Mens club, deep into the efforts to remove them.

He conducted interviews with Bratt during the campaign and did nothing to challenge the view espoused by Bratt that he was doing a great job and the protesters were endangering the club.

He then gave Bill Bratt a platform in 2014 to offer his 'advice' on what Vale should do, well over 2 years after he'd run us into administration.

He eventually came round to Smurthwaite, but after national press attention had already been garnered by protesters, about 12 months too late. He ran a great front page which was much appreciated but this was after we'd got a full article in the Guardian and BBC, and mentions in the Times. 

I hope he does a great job at the Vale and he certainly has the CV to suggest he'll be an asset, but I personally struggle with the idea that Tideswell did any more than the bare minimum as editor of the local paper (and a Vale fan) to keep the club going. He ran some headlines once things were in motion, and did a lot to hinder the early movement by backing incumbent chairman/mocking potential buyers.

Feel free to delete this Rob; I understand its off-topic and I don't want to detract from the overall sentiment of the thread, but on this specific issue I wanted to put my perspective forward. I hate to bring up the miserable last decade but in my view there are thousands of ordinary Vale fans who deserve commendation for saving the club before I'd offer the same credit to Tideswell.

All that being said, best of luck to Martin his new role. Genuinely hope everything goes well as it will only benefit Port Vale.

46 minutes ago, Mario said:

Typical Stokie attitude to anything positive, the club (Carol & Kevin ) have employed an ex editor to work jointly between the club and Synectics and the nah sayers are out in force.

I wish Martin the very best in his new role, and feel he is well-qualified for it. Haven't 'nay-sayed' anything.

I only took issue with what I perceived to be a mistaken comment. Apart from that, I hope Martin is a resounding success.

Archived