• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my view, I don't care about what bans other players got - Pope has only himself to blame for this one. This isn't an isolated incident. He had already been charged twice in a matter of months

I'm sure this will all lead to civil and well-informed debate on the matter 🙂

There's quite a lot to unpack from this whole affair and much of it won't be obvious to a lot of people, not just because Stoke-on-Trent isn't known for having a large Jewish community, but also becau

49 minutes ago, geosname said:

I don't agree with the apology.

Because someone takes offence dose not mean someone has caused it.

Yes, I agree that making an apology is a choice. One consideration is whether the person offended should be offended and there is a considerable amount of subjectivity in that judgement. 

Going way off track. Some people as children adopt strategies to gain the attention and approval of their parents. One is to repetitively claim to be sick or bullied or some other needy type problem to create that attention. And the trouble with that is it continues into adulthood and throughout life. Hence there is no justification in pandering to a person who is unreasonably offended by something by making apology. Also, the so called offended person should take their own action. Why not just use ignore on social media for example. 

Edited by Warren

Thinking about this whole recently. I watch quite a few documentaries of Police Interceptor types. They are often useful when having a lunch break and eating etc. But it has occurred to me there is a significant under representation of black dudes getting chased and arrested. As in, I can't recall any ever. I can recall Asians and I can recall a few women. I am contemplating what to make of this; maybe I am wrong and just need to pay attention. Or maybe these programmes are selective and deliberately not featuring arrests in the black community. In which case why? They don't want to show them because they would attract controversy? Or they are really bad arrests that should be kept off screen if the police forces concerned want to hide their systemic racism!

By the way, the best car chase ever is of a stolen red Morris Minor. It can do 0-60 in 26 seconds. But, it got away!

Edited by Warren

1 hour ago, NLVMalc said:

That’s for the courts to decide

It's the decision of the police or possibly CPS what charges are brought. Something that should be considered is that the charge will be recorded whether proven or not.

Sadly feelings are being introduced into the law.

If someone is accused of a hate crime which isn't proven is the accuser then charged with a hate crime?

5 minutes ago, geosname said:

It's the decision of the police or possibly CPS what charges are brought. Something that should be considered is that the charge will be recorded whether proven or not.

Sadly feelings are being introduced into the law.

If someone is accused of a hate crime which isn't proven is the accuser then charged with a hate crime?

That last line is a good point geo.

19 hours ago, geosname said:

Similar to a yellow card for a dive in the penalty area?  Claiming a penalty under false pretences, straight forward enough.

Isn’t the point here that all they wanted Tom to say was “I didn’t mean to cause an offence, but now an expert has explained it to me I can see how people may have been offended”

No apology required but an acknowledgement that some may have been offended.

He wouldn’t even do that... I can totally see Why they threw the book at him.

I would be miffed if I was the club that he couldn’t even bring himself to say that... and whoever was representing him SURELY gave that advice meaning he chose to ignore it.