onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope gets six game ban

Smugsy

Advert

It seems way over the top to me - in view of the facts of the case. He has a bit of form but I'm very surprised I must say - especially since they acknowledged it was not deliberately anti-semitic.  I would appeal and hope that it's halved. Even that would be very harsh in my view.

So Pope gets 6 game ban. It seems harsh, so first thought on it was that sometimes it’s best to take it on the chin and move on, seeing as he has plenty of previous (which in the end is probably reflected in the ban). Then I remembered Wayne Hennessy’s NAZI SALUTE!!!! The FA are an absolute disgrace

6 game ban for that tweet is harsh.

6 game ban for years of Pope being unprofessional on Twitter is soft. I'll choose, for my own sanity, to take it that way.

I sincerely hope the club don't appeal and let this entire embarrassment go away, instead of dragging it along and getting us some negative press.

Time to move on. 

Ridiculous really.

A six game ban, hefty fine and some course over a tweet.

Suarez BITES someone = 8 game ban. Dele Alli’s blatant racism = next to nowt.

Not to mention the Palace goalkeeper and his stupidity was ignored. Scandalous.

6 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Ridiculous really.

A six game ban, hefty fine and some course over a tweet.

Suarez BITES someone = 8 game ban. Dele Alli’s blatant racism = next to nowt.

Not to mention the Palace goalkeeper and his stupidity was ignored. Scandalous.

In my view, I don't care about what bans other players got - Pope has only himself to blame for this one.

This isn't an isolated incident. He had already been charged twice in a matter of months over tweets. Arguably with the amount of tweets he sent out there could have been more than three charges. He had a choice - get off social media or continue to chance his arm with more "hilarious" tweets and pay the consequences.

He made the choice and he's got his comeuppance but more importantly he has created a problem for the club he plays for with his stupidity.

I can see the FA's viewpoint on this - they kept charging him and he kept on ignoring it and carrying on tweeting so they've increased the severity of the punishment each time. From their view, that makes sense - if he won't learn and is a repeat offender then they make their point by increasing the punishment.

I really do hope that now, after this third charge, he has learned his lesson and stays off social media so we can talk about what he can do for us on the pitch rather than his tweets. 

7 minutes ago, robf said:

In my view, I don't care about what bans other players got - Pope has only himself to blame for this one.

This isn't an isolated incident. He had already been charged twice in a matter of months over tweets. Arguably with the amount of tweets he sent out there could have been more than three charges. He had a choice - get off social media or continue to chance his arm with more "hilarious" tweets and pay the consequences.

He made the choice and he's got his comeuppance but more importantly he has created a problem for the club he plays for with his stupidity.

I can see the FA's viewpoint on this - they kept charging him and he kept on ignoring it and carrying on tweeting so they've increased the severity of the punishment each time. From their view, that makes sense - if he won't learn and is a repeat offender then they make their point by increasing the punishment.

I really do hope that now, after this third charge, he has learned his lesson and stays off social media so we can talk about what he can do for us on the pitch rather than his tweets. 

I believe he's agreed to stay off Twitter for as long as he plays for the club.  Third time in such a short period is rank stupid on his part.

8 minutes ago, robf said:

Very fair points Rob, and I agree entirely.

However, given the wording of the statement, this is the result of a particular tweet, isn’t it? If they’d said this is a direct result of continued incidents, then I don’t think anybody could argue otherwise. However, it specifically states it relates to one tweet in particular (given the fact they’ve denied the anti-semitic content), so on that note, I think it’s entirely unfair. If it indeed was a generalised outcome from all incidents as a collective, and they’ve simply worded it incorrectly, then I’ll be the first to happily admit the punishment is justified and I wouldn’t argue further.

Needs a bit more clarification for me.

Pope hasn't been on twitter since January and what was the point in issuing an apology and asking for his explanation of things a few months back if they were always going punish him like this. It would be better if they increased his fine and lowered the amount of games he missed to say 2.

11 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

(given the fact they’ve denied the anti-semitic content)

It would be more accurate to say that they accepted that there was no intent.

Clearly he had little understanding of the subtext behind the words he used.

Archived