onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope gets six game ban

Smugsy

28 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

I believe he has not been active on SM since January from what others have said on here.  Its actually the time the FA have taken to sort this that has caused some of the issues.  Its from a while ago, he has stopped posting and its now todays news which means he is getting a battering for something he has already sorted out - using social media.

I don't like how quick some are to condemn him though.

If he has stopped social media then that is to be commended - however I don't think I was too quick to condemn him, this being at least the 3rd time he has brought the Vale into disrepute. When he has made these gaffs  he was never reported as just Tom Pope - its always Port Vale Centre Forward Tom Pope or Port Vale Hero Tom Pope or Life Long Vale Supporter Tom Pope. All bad publicity for the club, and the club is everything, not the individual, no matter how great he has been. The fact that it happened a while ago is irrelevant as everyone knows once you put something on social media its there to haunt you for the rest of your life as anything on social media can be raked up long after it was written. I note that you don't challenge my observation that he is now unavailable for 13% of the league season, albeit that may be reduced slightly on appeal, and that is a cost that the Vale shouldn't have to carry. Being injured is one thing but shooting yourself in the foot is just one way of getting out of doing your job. As I have said, if he is off Social media then that is a great step in the right direction and the next step is to look at how others conduct themselves in the public. Carol, Kev, Askey, Brown, Worrall would all be excellent role models in that respect.  I fully appreciate what Tom has done for the club that he truly loves but some of his antics are not in the best interests of the Vale  

Advert

Not good to lose him for 6 matches, but as others have commented, it's not as if he hasn't done it before, so personally I have no qualms with the verdict nor action taken.  I just hope that Tom has now learnt his lesson and from now on lets his feet and head do the talking in a feast of goals between the  white posts instead of messing around on Twitter and other social media posts!

4 hours ago, Jacob_123 said:

I personally think we should just leave it alone and not appeal at risk of getting the bad press and the ban is unlikely to be overturned

Ahmen to that Jacob - When you've been pulled over for the 3rd time its best not to tell the police they should be chasing real criminals and not persecuting honest upright citizens. That tack doesn't seem to go down too well. If he was a first timer then ok, spend a few quid and try and get him available to play. With his record though - I think plaiting fog would be easier. I would go further and ask what odds would Bet365 give on the 6 games being quashed or what odds would they give on the penalty being increased for wasting the FA/EFL time !  Its time to admit that he made a mistake and move on. 

3 hours ago, geosname said:

The club may be appealing because they are being penalised not just the tweeter.

Agreed - however if the ban is increased, which it could be, then that is an own goal.  A better approach would be to insert a clause into any future contract to any player something along the wording of :-

@If you the player do something on social media that leads you to be banned from playing then you are considered to have made yourself unavailable for work and the club has the right to dock your pay accordingly @   That happens in thousands of other jobs !

The wording may need tarting up a bit - but something along those line should bring home to the Social Media Heroes that everything has a consequence and if that is to the detriment of the club then the player has to cough up.   

1 hour ago, pensioner said:

Agreed - however if the ban is increased, which it could be, then that is an own goal.  A better approach would be to insert a clause into any future contract to any player something along the wording of :-

@If you the player do something on social media that leads you to be banned from playing then you are considered to have made yourself unavailable for work and the club has the right to dock your pay accordingly @   That happens in thousands of other jobs !

The wording may need tarting up a bit - but something along those line should bring home to the Social Media Heroes that everything has a consequence and if that is to the detriment of the club then the player has to cough up.   

I think I would go a little further...... along the lines of "bringing the club..... or members of.... into disrepute blah blah blah" fines will be imposed, increasing for repeat offences...... X number and contract terminated.

I wouldn't restrict it to social media activity.

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

It would be interesting to read what ‘The Case for the defence’ on here would be if say Ryan Lloyd or another lesser light had posted this tweet / stepped out of line on numerous occasions.

It shouldn't matter who it was.

I have not seen the full set of tweets. But saying something about the Rothschild family and their success is not inherently racist. Same as saying something about Warren Buffet isn't racist. What is racist is starting a movement which has not moved on from its title Black Lives Matter to All Lives Matter. Then filling Sky programming with pundits who are from black backgrounds since restart such that it is obvious positive discrimination is taking place. I have had enough of this black people are discriminated thing really. It is difficult to see how the Equality Act 2010 doesn't do exactly what it says on the can. It actually rules out consideration of many relevant factors in order to protect against discrimination and actively permits positive discrimination in some situations of under representation. It's a hard place football below the top stars, and it is hard for everyone not just black people. And so is society. 

Archived