onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope gets six game ban

Smugsy

Couldn't agree more. Its on the back of two other bans during the season. He's let the club down big style.

6 game ban for that tweet is harsh.
6 game ban for years of Pope being unprofessional on Twitter is soft. I'll choose, for my own sanity, to take it that way.
I sincerely hope the club don't appeal and let this entire embarrassment go away, instead of dragging it along and getting us some negative press.
Time to move on. 

Advert

So in the end he did not get a six month ban for anti semitism but for being ignorant. Is that right?

On another thought why didn't  the EFLban him for six games when we still had nine games to play during 2019-2020.

14 minutes ago, rayzer said:

So in the end he did not get a six month ban for anti semitism but for being ignorant. Is that right?

On another thought why didn't  the EFLban him for six games when we still had nine games to play during 2019-2020.

Proving intent is nigh on impossible. The key point is the tweet itself was defined as racist. You make a comment at work which is deemed as sexist or racist and you can still get fired. There is no need to prove intent. I think the FA accepted ignorance as mitigation ...  otherwise I suspect it would have been a longer ban. The current atmosphere linked to Black Live Matter means they were always likely to come down hard on anything with a racist connotation. Being stupid isn't a defence in law, which was effectively Pope's defence. The facts are:

1 he admitted he posted the comment

2 it was deemed as a comment which was likely to cause offence

Yeah we can debate it until the cows come home but it's hard to have sympathy with a bloke for posting something daft when he's been warned and punished multiple times for posting rubbish.

Six games gives us time to give a proper run of matches for Rodney, Cullen or someone else. Maybe it will prove to be a blessing, and if not then Pope will be ready to step in.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Fully agree. The lack of clear communication as to why this was a punishable offence is a big balls up.

I had to read the entire report to gain an understanding; before that, I too was critical of the punishment. 

I still don't think an appeal gains anything bar possible a slight reduction in games banned (for what will be a backup forward) and lots of negative national press.

Its clear this is a controversial topic and one none of us are well-informed enough about to truly form an accurate judgement upon. For the sake of the club, fanbase, and Pope, for me it is best to take the punishment, get him on a re-education course, and lie low.

I agree. Appealing is a bad look for all involved. Crewe doubled down during their scandal and got mauled by the national press. It created a siege mentality amongst their fans that they were being unfairly victimised. If we get the same thing here then we'll be torn apart.

However I can't help but feel that the FA have missed a trick in the first place. You said it yourself, none of us are well-informed enough. Well this was an opportunity to address that. 

Tom Pope being banned for 6 games 2 years ago would have seen us relegated to the national league. Tom Pope suspended for 6 games now isn't as big as a problem as we have Cullen rodney and another striker coming in and we can cope without him now. It does give a bad image to the club though after all the good press we got for the free meals and cancelling the season. 

Originally, I gave my thoughts on the matter based on the summary given in the club statement. However, after reading further material published online, I've now seen enough to be able to hold my hands up and retract my initial verdict. In no way, shape or form, can I possibly defend him. Bit disappointed in his actions, in fairness. Thoroughly deserved outcome given what has transpired. He's heading to the final stretch of his career. He needs to buck his ideas up and bow out with decency and respect. Don't tarnish all you've achieved, and go out under a dark cloud, Popey.

On 24/07/2020 at 17:30, Santa said:

It would be more accurate to say that they accepted that there was no intent.

Clearly he had little understanding of the subtext behind the words he used.

Apologies mate. I worded that quite poorly.

I intended to put it across as you did. In full agreement.

Wayne Hennessy was able to convince the disciplinary panel that he was unaware that performing a Nazi salute was associated with Adolf Hitler. Yet Tom Pope is supposed to appreciate that the reference to the Rothchilds banking family could be construed as anti semitic. Something does not look right to me.

10 hours ago, wurzel valiant said:

Wayne Hennessy was able to convince the disciplinary panel that he was unaware that performing a Nazi salute was associated with Adolf Hitler. Yet Tom Pope is supposed to appreciate that the reference to the Rothchilds banking family could be construed as anti semitic. Something does not look right to me.

Ask maybe a 12 year old or possibly younger about the Nazi salute and I'm sure they are aware of it . 

Ask a 12 year old about the Jewish connection with Rothschild clan and they'd be ignorant of it. 

I'm probably not putting my point across great here !! 

Basically of course Hennessy knew, it is staggering beyond belief that he didn't yet the FA got hoodwinked by his lies . 

Not for one moment do I personally think Pope is clever enough to understand the Rothschild quote, nor am I myself. 

Certain quotes are bandied about , Rockefeller is another, thrown out at someone perceived to be rich or flaunts wealth. Now without googling I don't know if Rockefeller was Jewish, Protestant, Mormon or whatever. 

Pope was misguided and foolish . 

He has paid the price for showing no contrition and it follows on from his remarks about what he'd like to do to Carolyn Radford and his Crewe quote. 

Sadly the exposure he is bringing to the table is all negative, we have been flooded with positivity for 14 months. 

What has really surprised me here is the stance of the club saying they'll appeal . Given all the good press and news out of the club we should turn the other cheek and accept the ban. 

Just accept the punishment and let's try and move forward. 

Pope suddenly playing Mother Theresa doesn't erase the stupidity of the bloke. 

38 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

I agree that the club should appeal because there is no consistency in how these bans are determined.

I very much doubt anybody except those who make it there business to be offended on behalf of others made the Anti Semetic link.

Even the FA themselves have said there was no intent of anti semitism on Popes behalf.  He has an opinion of corrupt bankers who he believes fund war to make money.  His comments can be perceived as anti semitic if you are looking for it and have researched the nuances of what constitutes anti semitism.  There is a severe lack of common sense shown here from Pope and likewise from the FA.  He should be banned, especially as he has previous for being a bit silly on twitter but 6 games?  Really?  

One thing Norman once said is about the only thing he ever said that's true..

Too many tweets makes a <ovf censored>.

As for people calling Pope out for being stupid etc, how many of you doing that know all about the history of the Rothschilds?  Pope probably reads this forum, he is a local lad who has been a talisman for this club.  Lovely way to treat him for not making the not very obvious connection between Rothschild and anti semitism.  

Would be funny to see how quickly some of the posters on here would disappear up there own back sides if he rocked up at your houses to ask you to explain why you think he is thick and a back up striker who we won't miss.

But if you read I stated I myself have no clue on the Rothschild's or Rockefeller. 

The thing is with social media for everyone, whether prince or pauper you have to think before you type. You can't put on stuff that you may say to a bunch of mates in the pub. 

The ban probably reflects a totting up procedure as per driving offences. 

If you have 9 points on your licence most reasonable folk would adhere to the speed limit etc. 

Pope has pushed the boundaries and fallen foul. 

I understand what you are saying about Pope knocking on people's doors etc but how many 6 foot 4 brutes have crowds abused from the terraces. If you are in the public eye you rise above it.

Love Pope as a player not even in question. 

But do I want to see a Port Vale player talking about the Female CEO of a fellow club as though she's some sort of trash ?

If he has fantasies about that then tell his mates don't let the world know. 

Same with Crewe, we've all heard the chants, we've all seen or read the complete disdain Crewe as a club have had for the victims. But why oh why would he make crass comments on Twitter ? 

I certainly don't believe Pope is anti-Semitic at all but eventually the FA can only knock on the door so many times and if there's no improvement then this is why it's a 6 game ban.

I've already mentioned Hennessy so yes there's a huge lack of consistency in behaviour from the FA but that's no excuse for repeat offenders. 

Who knows the games he missed last season , he may of been the man who got us that one extra point we needed. 

Only speculation obviously but we could be ready to welcome Sunderland Pompey Ipswich next season, but him being banned is detrimental to everyone associated with the club, staff, players, fans. 

8 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

wow, even club legends don't escape your condescending tone.

So if he was banging goals in for fun and leading the line every week you think we should appeal?  His status in the team has no relevance to your point except to further belittle one of the clubs best ever strikers.  

Pope is a backup forward. He played 45% of our minutes last season. Cullen finished the season stronger, we've signed a young lad to a 3 year deal, and Askey is insistent he wants another striker. Pope is a legend, the only of my lifetime, but I offered a fairly objective comment on his playing time moving forward (which is shared by many of this thread which you haven't commented on at all).

If you think thats condescending then you clearly have a personal issue with me.Fair enough pal. Let's leave it. First person I've ever felt the need to add to the 'ignore' list, and I've been in loads of debates on here.

Archived