onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope gets six game ban

Smugsy

Advert

I'm sorry to have to say this, but having looked at the documents that Jacko linked to (and to which she made a very generous assessment), he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

The commission DID NOT say that it accepted there was no anti-semitic intent. It said that it didn't need to demonstrate that there was, in order for an appropriate threshold to be reached. 

The fact that Pope argued against it, didn't acknowledge he was in the wrong, didn't apologise, and continues to deny that he said something inappropriate, is inexcusable. He's effectively saying, I didn't know it was racist, therefore it can't be racist. This is from the commission doco:

It is of particular concern that even now Mr Pope does not acknowledge the antisemitic message that is conveyed by the Statement. It is also of concern that he has not seriously questioned the conspiracy theories that he has allowed to inform his views.

We know he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but you don't have to be in order to acknowledge that you might have made a mistake out of ignorance, and apologise for it. Let's hope the education does its job for him, because it is a really bad look for the club, and I would arguably be more upset about his subsequent response than the initial offence.

6 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Does anyone think that this will give the club a decision to make regarding Toms future at the club?

The tribunal happened a week ago and the club knew the result but under FA rules could not announce it until the FA did. There have been things said and actions taken and that is the end of it as far as the club in concerned. My understanding is Pope has accepted he has been stupid and apologised to the appropriate people and actively wants to be involved in promoting a more positive image of the club going forward. Pope will 110% play for Port Vale next season. There is NO chance he will be sacked or he will be on Twitter again.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

It's a blow to us as he was still a key member of the squad.

So shouldn’t this make him more responsible ? All he has to do is quite literally nothing, simply by keeping his mouth (or keyboard) shut. 

Long gone, unfortunately, are he days when players were allowed to have a personality, But he has to realise the era he lives in, especially as the years are clocking up on his limited professional career. 

Unfortunately he either doesn’t realise this or, more worryingly, doesn’t care.  

We are now getting close to the time where some awkward decisions may have to the made on his Vale career. Especially as his age is now a telling factor.

9 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

So shouldn’t this make him more responsible ? All he has to do is quite literally nothing, simply by keeping his mouth (or keyboard) shut. 

Long gone, unfortunately, are he days when players were allowed to have a personality, But he has to realise the era he lives in, especially as the years are clocking up on his limited professional career. 

Unfortunately he either doesn’t realise this or, more worryingly, doesn’t care.  

We are now getting close to the time where some awkward decisions may have to the made on his Vale career. Especially as his age is now a telling factor.

My understanding is Tom will be actively involved in promoting the club to ALL the Stoke-on-Trent community. He 100% knows he has let down the directors and managers of the club. The club accept he is Vale through and through and I believe he accepts he has behaved stupidly, letting down the club and fans. My view is the club are doing the right thing and ignoring his age in deciding a fair course of action.

That report has sealed it for me.

Refusal to apologise (despite an academic expert making it very clear that the sentiments of the tweet were of an anti-semitic nature), refusal to accept that there were anti-semitic elements to what he said, and got it all from dodgy 9/11 conspiracy videos on Youtube.

No appealing, get the ban served and move on. Embarrassing for the club.

29 minutes ago, JRC said:

He 100% knows he has let down the directors and managers of the club. The club accept he is Vale through and through and I believe he accepts he has behaved stupidly, letting down the club and fans.

From many of your previous posts JRC, it would appear that you have more “inside” information than the majority of OVF followers and I mean this sincerely not sarcastically. But how many times have we heard this sort of sound bite from Tom  before ? 

I personally find it incredulous that he keeps on making the same mistakes time after endless time

I certainly have no personal axe to grind against Tom, because without his recent endeavors we we would most certainly be playing non league football now .But he frustrates me with his off field, or more precisely on line,  activity.

We finally have owners who genuinely care about the club, yet our most high profile player (not deliberately) undermines their efforts.

So a personal plea Tom, please stop these antics. Anyone with a sense of humour can see your point, but unfortunately we live an unenviable PC world where humour is not allowed. 

I agree, didnt make me think if jews just robbing, thieving bankers.

Give over some of you.  Pope didn't post it intending to be anti semitic, he isn't anti semitic and quite frankly this "mock outrage" is far more embarrassing than anything he tweeted.
If he believes what he put why should he apologise?  If he isn't being anti semetic why should he acknowledge that what he wrote is?  Just because some "expert" says that it was, does that make it fact?  I don't automatically think of all Jews when the Rothschilds are mentioned and I very much doubt many of you do if you are being honest.  
Pope is entitled to his opinion, even if it is ill advised and he has not been charged with any criminal offense so give it a rest.

8 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

From many of your previous posts JRC, it would appear that you have more “inside” information than the majority of OVF followers and I mean this sincerely not sarcastically. But how many times have we heard this sort of sound bite from Tom  before ? 

I personally find it incredulous that he keeps on making the same mistakes time after endless time

I certainly have no personal axe to grind against Tom, because without his recent endeavors we we would most certainly be playing non league football now .But he frustrates me with his off field, or more precisely on line,  activity.

We finally have owners who genuinely care about the club, yet our most high profile player (not deliberately) undermines their efforts.

So a personal plea Tom, please stop these antics. Anyone with a sense of humour can see your point, but unfortunately we live an unenviable PC world where humour is not allowed. 

100% agree with what you say. Pope has been a complete tool on Twitter for too long. He's 34 not 17 and should know better.

Firstly, credit where credit's due - he's seemingly been off twitter since January. Whether this is a result of him realising he's a tool on there or, more likely, he was told in no uncertain terms by JA/Carol that his future at the Club is in jeopardy if he carried on doesn't really matter, so long as he's off there (at least, under his official account).

The ban nor it's length doesn't surprise me at all. The FA were always going to throw the book at him following his previous indiscretions. I can't see any appeal shortening the ban, but can't blame the Club for trying.

He won't be missed all that much. Contrary to the majority view, I don't see him as a key player at all. JA was the first manager who dared to look beyond Pope last season and it did the team the world of good, both aesthetically and from a goals scored perspective. Previous managers, since he returned, overlooked his obvious limitations and the effect that these had on the team, resulting in us flirting with relegation for 2 seasons in a row. Cullen is clearly JA's striker of choice at the start of next season and, injuries permitting, I can't see pope playing anything other than a bit part anyway, quite rightly.

The slur originates from the Nazi Propaganda Film 'Die Rothschilds', lads. 'The Rothschilds' is a synecdoche which has historically been used to represent the entire Jewish faith. Pope got all this from dodgy Youtube conspiracies about how 9/11 was an inside job.

A synecdoche is when you represent the whole by referring to a part; for example, referring to a car as 'wheels'.

2 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

he wasn't in court though.

But the same principle applied:

"Mr Pope decided to contest the charge as is his right. He does however lose the credit that would otherwise have been available for an admission of breach."

Archived