Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The makings of a good weekend away, virus permitting, the league table did not lie. Sorry for Notts, but must try harder next season,  at least they should  know what is required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Harrogate win 3-1. Hope we can visit next season - including Betty’s tea rooms!!

Let's hope we have them away next Easter.

With our luck we'll probably play them away first game up!

(From what I can gather they seem like an honest, likeable bunch. Speak well and obviously delighted to have won the game. Serene Harrogate will never be the same again!!)

Edited by TheSage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Let's hope we have them away next Easter.

With our luck we'll probably play them away first game up!

Seems that Harrogate may have to start the new season away, going from this in The Sentinel -

Quote

In 2016, the club laid a 3G pitch at their 5,000 capacity stadium on Wetherby Road

However, they have to replace it with a grass pitch to be able to comply with EFL rules.

That’s fine, they said that work would start almost immediately if they did win the play-offs.

However, as the new campaign is only six weeks away, that might not be completed in time for kick off.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Well done to Harrogate. If any of us get to do there and Barrow this coming season, I'll be surprised but it's two new sides in the FL 

I’m old enough, sadly, to remember Barrow as a league side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barrow is a weird place. Literally on it’s own miles from anywhere and a <ovf censored> hole. I’ve worked /stayed in Harrogate loads of times. It’s going to be interesting to see how the locals cope with the crowds. They definitely believe they’re of a higher class. I got a bollocking from a resident for chucking a stick trying to knock conkers from a tree in the park( I was 50 at the time). 
Below Betty’s Jean is the Bell. Tremendous pub once used by Bill Clinton and around the corner is the local Spoons, once the original Roman Baths. 
Looking forward to the day now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

I’m old enough, sadly, to remember Barrow as a league side.

Me too.

And Workington and Bradford PA and Southport and Halifax and ......

Harrogate could be a great day out if the fixtures allow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, it now means Gareth Ainsworth is no longer the longest server manager in the EFL, it's Harrogate Town boss Simon Weaver. Helps when your dad is the chairman!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to a few fans on FB (in the press too it seems), they'll play the first 3 home games or so at the Keepmoat, their pitch won't be done until mid-Oct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2020 at 09:07, TheSage said:

Me too.

And Workington and Bradford PA and Southport and Halifax and ......

Harrogate could be a great day out if the fixtures allow.

And New Brighton AFC who played a cup game at Vale Park the season before they were replaced by Workington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tomo said:

According to a few fans on FB (in the press too it seems), they'll play the first 3 home games or so at the Keepmoat, their pitch won't be done until mid-Oct.

Yes,it looks like Harrogate will be playing their home games at the Keepmoat until their ground complies with League regulations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 21:01, Valiant62 said:

I’m old enough, sadly, to remember Barrow as a league side.

Yep, me too. 48 years (I think) since they last played in the league. I wonder how many of their own supporters even remember this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2020 at 11:26, Wrex said:

As an aside, it now means Gareth Ainsworth is no longer the longest server manager in the EFL, it's Harrogate Town boss Simon Weaver. Helps when your dad is the chairman!

And when your dad is a multimillionaire.

"We could do with a few more players now we're in the League, dad"

"Don't worry, son, I'll be along in a minute with my cheque book"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anorak as I am I've just looked up the clubs who were formerly in the Football League when I first started watching the Vale.

Bury, Wrexham, Bradford, Halifax, Torquay, Barrow, Southport, Workington, Aldershot, Darlington, York, Chesterfield, Stockport, Chester & Hartlepool.

And, of course, there are others since who have risen and declined, like Kidderminster, Hereford, Yeovil, Barnet & Scarborough. Probably more than that if I put my mind to it.

Amazing how fortunes change. Who would imagine that the oldest club in the country (Notts County) would now be in non league.

Most of them are northern clubs, oddly. Very few south of Birmingham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Anorak as I am I've just looked up the clubs who were formerly in the Football League when I first started watching the Vale.

Bury, Wrexham, Bradford, Halifax, Torquay, Barrow, Southport, Workington, Aldershot, Darlington, York, Chesterfield, Stockport, Chester & Hartlepool.

And, of course, there are others since who have risen and declined, like Kidderminster, Hereford, Yeovil, Barnet & Scarborough. Probably more than that if I put my mind to it.

Amazing how fortunes change. Who would imagine that the oldest club in the country (Notts County) would now be in non league.

Most of them are northern clubs, oddly. Very few south of Birmingham.

Rushden and Diamonds 2001 to 2005

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy