Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

10 minutes ago, robf said:

He has - he scored 16 in a season while on loan at Hereford Utd in League 2. 

However, in 15 years he has 26 different spells (what with all his loan moves) and only three of them have been at L2 level. He's played over 150 of his 400-odd appearances at Championship level, two grades above.

Quite a few players are less prolific at higher levels - Mr Maynard didn't reach double figures in the Championship/League One for seven years, he dropped down to L2 and has been super prolific. 

In terms of L2, Robinson has got 19 goals in 50 games in his spells at Swindon and Colchester.

He also scored 16 at Huddersfield in The Championship in 2009/10. In both cases it was league and cup games. As a coincidence 2009/10 was Maynard's last good season before he joined Bury.

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'm quite interested in if JA sticks to the 4-3-3 that served us so well.

If he does that's possibly 3 unhappy strikers on the bench .

I'm repeating myself here but I felt that Cullen wasn't the man away from home due to his lack of physicality. The thing was he had to keep the shirt as he scored regularly at Vale Park. Be a real and welcome conundrum for JA to solve 

Askey will play with 3 upfront. He has talked about a more fluid front 3; which was partly the attraction of Rodney. So at times we may see two or three of Cullen, Robinson and Rodney playing, with them being flexible about who is playing through the middle.

For me Cullen can do the job away from home as our results were good when he played. His holdup play is a least on a par with Pope's so provided long balls aren't always high balls he's ok. Being blunt he's got a surprisingly large arse for his size and is pretty good at using it to shield the ball. If you are going to lump up high balls Pope is clearly better. Pope only got one league goal that wasn't a penalty away from Vale Park, so in reality none of our strikers were that prolific away.

• Haha 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

People make me laugh on this website , slagging a player off who wants to play for port Vale while lording over Maynard who doesn't . Seen his you tube interview where he states he and the club are in

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, robf said:

He has - he scored 16 in a season while on loan at Hereford Utd in League 2. 

However, in 15 years he has 26 different spells (what with all his loan moves) and only three of them have been at L2 level. He's played over 150 of his 400-odd appearances at Championship level, two grades above.

Quite a few players are less prolific at higher levels - Mr Maynard didn't reach double figures in the Championship/League One for seven years, he dropped down to L2 and has been super prolific. 

In terms of L2, Robinson has got 19 goals in 50 games in his spells at Swindon and Colchester.

A league season, Rob, as I stated in my original post

I'm yet to have offered a comment on Robinson, yet have had personal insults directed at me by other members of the forum.

19 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Don’t be a gimp all your life please Joe. Theo is a good signing at this level. Chill brother. 

Completely necessary that mate! Good one!

I'm not as besotted with the signing as you, and get names thrown at me.

You seem completely chilled out, to the extent you go around calling people 'gimps' because they've posited an alternative view to the prevailing narrative on here. 

Without this gimp (among a few others), you wouldn't have a Port Vale to be debating mate.

This forum, man. Peace out. Enjoy the season.

Edited by Joe B

16 minutes ago, Mario said:

Thank goodness football is played on grass and not on a spreadsheet.

Yes, Liverpool famously had the most successful season of recent years without using any stats.

(They didn't. They employed a physicist to engage in statistical modelling).

Edited by Joe B

35 minutes ago, Mario said:

Thank goodness football is played on grass and not on a spreadsheet.

Just for a laugh, could you explain to me how Brentford have transformed themselves into a club fit for the Premier League whilst making close to 100m profit in transfers on the past half decade? 

9 hours ago, SuperHuman said:

I’m very underwhelmed and it’s a bit of a comedown from Maynard. The whole Maynard situation was handled poorly in terms of how we were led to believe he was due to sign and all the hints on social media etc. For us then to announce Theo Robinson. ..

No, it hasn't been handled poorly at all! We all chose to believe the rumour because it was exciting to think NM might be joining us. JA only mentioned NM as a possible signing, last week - nobody else has mentioned him! "Tideswellgate" was a bunch of you putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 42. Carol's mention of "signage" was clearly not a signing hint, but reference to the new signage...ie, signs, etc, in the Club Shop! 

We all (most of us, anyway) have been guilty of letting hope triumph. Had Maynard never been mentioned, Theo Robinson would have exactly fitted the bill many of you wanted - tried, tested, been around and scored goals! Plus, I dare say he's a bit lower on the wages, so, maybe, there will be a little left in the kitty for the next window in case we need to strengthen in other areas?  

Me? I'm ok with this signing - a little underwhelmed because I was convinced those of you "in the know, nudge, nudge..." might have been right? Obviously not! Let's see how he does, this time around, instead of writing him off already? UTV VTID Love the shirts!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Don’t be a gimp all your life please Joe. Theo is a good signing at this level. Chill brother. 

Off topic, and I know Joe has replied himself, but I have to say this kind of name calling is totally unwarranted.  Playground stuff.

On topic, Theo, to me at least, looks like more of a typical Askey signing, if there is such a thing, than Maynard ever did.  Every signing is a gamble with a certain amount of risk attached, so who knows how things would’ve turned out had we signed Maynard.  There’s no guarantee  that Maynard would outscore Robinson in our team, just as there’s no guarantee Robinson will outscore Cullen.  Only time will tell.

The fixture list is more congested than ever this year, so most players should get games.  There’s no reason not to believe that one of the front men will hit some kind of form, plus we’ll have good options off the bench.  We look stronger this season and the younger players should improve so I’m happy with the signings and where we currently are with the squad, goal keeper and LB cover aside.

• Like 4

You seem completely chilled out, to the extent you go around calling people 'gimps' because they've posited an alternative view to the prevailing narrative on here. 
Without this gimp (among a few others), you wouldn't have a Port Vale to be debating mate.
It can be embarrassing on here. Unless you're absolutely over the moon with every signing you hounded. 100% positivity 100% of the time, or else!

I would have loved Maynard but not if meant that we would have needed to get promoted to pay for him. That’s a gamble that too many clubs have made with signings.

i won’t be getting Robinson’s full name on the back of my shirt, 1, because the shirt wouldn’t be big enough and 2, I wouldn’t be able to afford all the letters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I would have loved Maynard but not if meant that we would have needed to get promoted to pay for him. That’s a gamble that too many clubs have made with signings.

i won’t be getting Robinson’s full name on the back of my shirt, 1, because the shirt wouldn’t be big enough and 2, I wouldn’t be able to afford all the letters.

Amoo it is then.

Despite some unrest its pretty remarkable how similar the careers of Maynard and Robinson have been.

Both briefly and unsuccessfully played in the Premiership

Both spent most of their career in the Championship

Maynard has 50 more starts but is two years older 

Robinson has quite a lot more substitute appearances (90)

Both have over 100 league goal - Maynard has 28 more but is 2 seasons older

Both have similar cup records although Robinson's is marginally better in all 3 (quite a lot better in the FA Cup)

Both had unsuccessful stints in Scotland

Both had clear dips in their careers and seem to have rediscovered themselves in league 2 over the last 2 seasons.

Both the same height, one born in December, one in January. Robinson actually started out at Stoke but then moved to Watford, Maynard at Crewe.

Spooky!!

Edited by JRC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wanted Maynard to sign he has been prolific these last couple of seasons but the thing nagging me a bit was his age, he is 34 in December and could he still be as prolific 3 seasons on the bounce ???

Pope is 35 this week by the way

Now I’ve seen Robinson’s goals to games ratio and all the similarities mentioned above I’m actually optimistic that Theo will do well

Let’s forget what he achieved here before because Theo and ourselves are in different places now

We have to remember where we were just over 12 months ago , we were staring into oblivion with Norman at the helm

All I know is we have a brilliant club with brilliant owners for the first time in a long time we have a club on and off the pitch to be proud of

• Like 4

Here’s a question....

If we’d signed Robinson today having not previously had him on loan, how many people would have thought “yes, that’s a pretty decent signing”????

My guess is a lot, and might even have considered this slightly better business than Maynard given the comparable records and being slightly younger.

So about the loan spell.... very uninspiring. A bit like everything else about the club at that time, during which, if I recall rightly, we played some of the most turgid, negative and frustrating football I’ve ever seen of a Vale team. 

The point is, players can look very different in different systems, following different instructions and when being coached / motivated by different managers. 

Calvin Andrew was possibly the worst striker I’ve ever seen at Vale, yet has looked a real handful every time we’ve come up against him. How many people remember Marcus Bent??? Frustrated the life out of people, I think we ended up taking a loss on him, and within a couple of years he was playing regularly for Everton.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
2 hours ago, Joe B said:

It can be embarrassing on here. Unless you're absolutely over the moon with every signing you hounded. 100% positivity 100% of the time, or else!

given the circumstances and where we were 12 months ago, I think Carol, Kevin, Askey and the rest of them deserve 100% positivity 100% of the time.

We are signing players, solid ones at that during a time when the club has had little to no income for 5 months and doesn't yet know when the gate revenues will resume.