onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

1 hour ago, JRC said:

No signing is a guaranteed success. My guess would be he has at least one more season at this level but players in their mid 30s just lose it at some point. 

He wouldn't be a signing for the long term. But if you give him decent service he will score goals this season and also the season after. We have Rodney as a forward we can try to build and put our hopes in down the line. For the time being, Maynard would almost guarantee 15+ goals in a decent side, which is what we are now.

Advert

I think when you look at the age of the key players of our squad (most are 30+), we need to go up soon.

We're due a bit of a rebuild down the spine in the next couple of years. Let's get out of this tinpot league and sort it then.

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

IF it is maynard then imo it would be a big show of intent by the club as he is the kind of player we would never of dreamed of over the past decade or more(as with hughes really),for me he would be first choice and over the last few years he is most certainly a 1 in 2 scorer

Yes, when did we last sign a player that had commanded a fee of £2.5 million, not once but twice? His overall scoring record, most of which was spent in the Premiership, Championship and L1 is 135 in 427 games, about 1 in every 3, but in his last two seasons in L2, he scored 1 in every 2 games. If we sign him, most defenders in L2 will not be looking forward to marking a player with such pedigree, 33 or not. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Maynard

Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

This would be a cracking signing!

Always liked him when I've seen him play.

Manchester born, mates with Pope - could be legs in this.

Had a really good game against us (scored) last season for Swindon.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Lol imagine being a generic League 2 centre half and having marked the top scorer for the last two seasons, you glance over at the bench and you see warming up:

1. Port Vale's record goalscorer

2. League 2 promotion winner with one of the best mins/goal ratio in the division

3. A man who is as tall as he is wide, with a bag of pace.

You'd genuinely go down with cramp. Get the board up gaffer, cba with this.

I'd be more worried on the flanks as an opposition manager. Try to contain the pace of Amoo and the energy of Wozza on the other side with the pace of Rodney and Browne on the bench ready to exploit tiredness. Nightmare for the defence they are going to be constantly running towards there own goal.

5 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I can't imagine we're looking at signing both? Unless there really is a lot of fat left in the budget

Yes. Surely it'd be one or the other - maybe Askey hedging his bets?

I thought we'd only got room for 2 more players aged over 21 (/22?) in the squad, without even taking into account how much more we can spend within the budget cap.

If Alan Nixon is reporting this though its likely to be accurate - he's been around for years in the North-West and Midlands region (often used to report on our games in the 90s when we were in The Championship) and he is very often spot-on with Stoke rumours and transfer links.

Archived