Jump to content

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Yes. Twice for Macc last season. It looked poor in one game and bang average in the other. To be fair though they spanked in both games and it’s difficult to judge any player given the circumstances around Macc last season.

Did he play defensive midfield in those games? hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

Mentions specifically that he wasnt having a good time personally when he was here last time. This place is a different world these days, he will supported as a family man, he has moved back to B

Posted Images

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

Did he play defensive midfield in those games? hahaha

What’s your point? I can’t see your point about right back or defensive midfield. My point is that he comes with a similar pedigree and with the promise that Askey know how to get the best out of him. Keep laughing to yourself beef curtain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Just look at his stats. History is everything at this level, especially as he is being brought in as experienced player. Look how many games he has played for a player of 26/27. He may have promotions on his CV but he didn’t play for Mac that much and at Salford he was playing in a very good side that would have been promoted without him.

Im honestly no knocking your enthusiasm, but sometimes being realistic is a far better view point. He looks to be a hard working midfielder player, but doesn’t have creativity, isn’t the best passer of the ball, doesn’t have a great deal of pace. You add all that up and you just have another Evans from last season.

Im still positive about the majority of the squad and just hope that we can bring a Taylor type player or Clark back before the transfer window ends in October (I think it’s October now isnt it?)

He was a regular at Macclesfield every time he went back. He's had a strange career (Macc signed him 5 times). Seems to go there, do well, get a move to a bigger club, then it all goes wrong. He was poor against us but played in a midfield 2 against a 3 both times last season. I do have a theory about Salford at the moment that they sign good players rather than players right for their system. It will be interesting to see how Rodney and Whitehead do for us. With I do feel Askey looks for players who will do the specific job he wants. The manager clearly rates him and thinks he can do the job he wants in the team. That's the call Askey gets paid to make. As fans we will be passing judgement on those calls by Christmas. Salford saw enough in Whitehead to win a bidding war for him which would have made him our top earner a couple of years ago. They spend a lot of money but there is enough football knowledge in that club to recognise a good player. What I think they do lack is the knowledge of how to build a good team.

Quite a few Salford fans still rate him as their most creative midfielder. We'll have to see how he does for us.

Edited by JRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Yes. Twice for Macc last season. It looked poor in one game and bang average in the other. To be fair though they spanked in both games and it’s difficult to judge any player given the circumstances around Macc last season.

You went to Macclesfield twice in Feb/ March or are you confusing his two games against us for Salford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JRC said:

He was a regular at Macclesfield every time he went back. He's had a strange career (Macc signed him 5 times). Seems to go there, do well, get a move to a bigger club, then it all goes wrong. He was poor against us but played in a midfield 2 against a 3 both times last season. I do have a theory about Salford at the moment that they sign good players rather than players right for their system. It will be interesting to see how Rodney and Whitehead do for us. With I do feel Askey looks for players who will do the specific job he wants. The manager clearly rates him and thinks he can do the job he wants in the team. That's the call Askey gets paid to make. As fans we will be passing judgement on those calls by Christmas. Salford saw enough in Whitehead to win a bidding war for him which would have made him our top earner a couple of years ago. They spend a lot of money but there is enough football knowledge in that club to recognise a good player. What I think they do lack is the knowledge of how to build a good team.

Completely agree. I think it must be difficult to build a team with different managers and players coming in ever half a season. I think we proved last season that having that togetherness counts for a lot. It gives players the confidence that the management has faith in them, regardless of what we the fans might think of them at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Completely agree. I think it must be difficult to build a team with different managers and players coming in ever half a season. I think we proved last season that having that togetherness counts for a lot. It gives players the confidence that the management has faith in them, regardless of what we the fans might think of them at times.

I'd agree that on the 2 Salford games I'm not inspired by this signing. I suspect he's better than that and he's quite probably a better player in a 3. If it comes off its a masterstroke.  If it doesn't he'll be open to accusations of going back to Macc players all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found this quote from a Salford fan when they signed him: 

Really excited about seeing Danny Whitehead in our colours next season. Definitely a coup for the club having obtained his signature given interest in him from elsewhere. Speaking to a Macclesfield season ticket holder today who was gutted to see him leave them but is confident that he will be immense for us!

not quite first hand but more reliable than looking at his stats on soccerbase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From all accounts Whitehead is a creative attacking midfielder both hardworking and mobile who has won promotion to league 2 twice from the conference and thus deserves a shot at league football....said to be one of the stand out midfielders in the conference thus signed by money bags Salford and known to Askey who must know the player well....thought we might not get this one signed but Askey has pulled off a good signing and along with young Burgess the right side of midfield is sorted.....consider the right side with Gibbons/Mills....Burgess/Whitehead.....Amoo/Browne......and think of all that space on the Vale pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Topher said:

found this quote from a Salford fan when they signed him: 

Really excited about seeing Danny Whitehead in our colours next season. Definitely a coup for the club having obtained his signature given interest in him from elsewhere. Speaking to a Macclesfield season ticket holder today who was gutted to see him leave them but is confident that he will be immense for us!

not quite first hand but more reliable than looking at his stats on soccerbase

At Macclesfield a lot of fans liken him to Danny Whit. Not sure we ever got full value from Whittaker in a 442. He was a better player at Macc and Chesterfield who both had systems better suited to him as a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

What’s your point? I can’t see your point about right back or defensive midfield. My point is that he comes with a similar pedigree and with the promise that Askey know how to get the best out of him. Keep laughing to yourself beef curtain.

Someone else used to call me that... he was a proper idiot that eventually got banned

My point is you specifically said he wasn’t creative despite apparently seeing him twice and him being described as Macc’s most creative player.

As I say, almost all of your posts are negative... might be time to just sit back and see a player play before being unhappy the second he signs 👍

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike some this seems a significant signing same as Mills really who are both players that Askey has been after for some time and can be considered as players who can really push for first team football and have something to offer not just the squad but the team.

So just a decent back up keeper and another striker to go then maybe a couple of loan players.

Edited by Burslem Academicals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

What’s your point? I can’t see your point about right back or defensive midfield. My point is that he comes with a similar pedigree and with the promise that Askey know how to get the best out of him. Keep laughing to yourself beef curtain.

Very pleased with this signing, obviously Askey has a far greater knowledge of the Lad than you do and I know for a certainty that Askey has a far greater idea of what he wants in his squad next season.

I am even more excited by the fact that Askey was slaughtered for his signings in the last close season and that didn't end too badly did it ?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Improving year on year, from a very, very low base.

The quality of the squad is higher than last season, loads higher than the season before and way better than the last season in league one.

It's what we expect from this leadership team and it's what we're getting.

I'm perfectly contented.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Yes. Twice for Macc last season. It looked poor in one game and bang average in the other. To be fair though they spanked in both games and it’s difficult to judge any player given the circumstances around Macc last season.

Maybe we should go on those who have watched him on a regular basis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dishydave said:

A 2 year contract tells us he's not here to make up the numbers otherwise Askey would of just give him 12 months like the squad filers last year

I suspect Askey sees him as a probable starter. The interesting thing about this signing is it probably means Oyeleke and Joyce are the options as holding midfield. Probably sensible as a lot of Oyeleke's injuries have come from driving forward in the inside right position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As sure as night follows day it’s preseason transfer time. That time of year when people claim to be experts on players who played against us when dare I say they wouldn’t really have been paying that much attention to that particular player through a 90 minute match. Then we get the wind up artist coming in who has echoes of previous posters on here... hmm. Then we have those judging them on Wikipedia. Which unless you’re a top end player is invariably negative anyway.

 

So is Whitehead going to be any good? I have no idea. On the face of it he’s probably an upgrade to our previous midfield back ups in Lloyd and Evans. He’s got age on his side in comparison to Atkinson. But it looks like we’ve got some good competition in that area of the pitch. I think it’s a given that Joyce will start. Then you’ve got Manny, Conlon, Whitehead, Burgess all vying for the other 2 positions. We could be looking strong in that area if Manny can stay fit. And that’s without us getting Jake Taylor back (unless Whitehead is a similar type player to him)??

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Please don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy