onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

And I think that concludes our transfer business!

If I was being greedy, I still think we're missing a bit of creativity going forward. A JMW type player to create something from nothing.

I think we will be a tough to beat, hardworking unit but might struggle sometimes to break those teams down that get 10 men behind the ball (where a bit of flair could open them up).

Excited for this season! And I've not said that for years! 

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

@valeparklife I agree with that assessment. I think we may well add a loan player in the Jake Taylor mode if possible, but as it stands (on paper) we look to have decent cover all over the pitch. Looking forward to the season starting even more now.

In previous years we have relied on loans to fill glaring gaps in the squad. Managers who seemed oblivious to not having certain positions covered and relying on loans to plug the gap. This year it feels like we have a full squad with backup and we haven’t touched the loan market yet. It’s a positive position to be in.

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

If I was being greedy, I still think we're missing a bit of creativity going forward. A JMW type player to create something from nothing.

I think we will be a tough to beat, hardworking unit but might struggle sometimes to break those teams down that get 10 men behind the ball (where a bit of flair could open them up).

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

@valeparklife I agree with that assessment. I think we may well add a loan player in the Jake Taylor mode if possible, but as it stands (on paper) we look to have decent cover all over the pitch. Looking forward to the season starting even more now.

44 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

In previous years we have relied on loans to fill glaring gaps in the squad. Managers who seemed oblivious to not having certain positions covered and relying on loans to plug the gap. This year it feels like we have a full squad with backup and we haven’t touched the loan market yet. It’s a positive position to be in.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-squad-players-transfer-4440854

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/league-one-salary-cap-sunderland-4429350

We have already got our quota of over 21s. It appears that ALL loan players will automatically be classed as over 21 regardless of age. The rules, when they are published, may contain a caveat for players signed who have yet to play in The League Cup, FA Cup and EFL/ Premiership League matches, which may provide a way in for someone like DTS, I believe the draft League 1 rules did for a player under 24. If it doesn't then we are already over our limit. 

So signing someone similar to JMW or Jake Taylor  would require 2 player (including DTS) or one (if DTS  is exempt) to be dropped from the squad until at least January. Really if you say you want to sign someone it also needs to be stipulated who you don't want in the squad. So if you want another winger one of Browne, Amoo (both signed new contracts) or Worrall (player of the year) need to be dropped from the squad. Taylor would me Joyce, Whitehead, Oyeleke, Conlon or Burgess (one a recent signing and 2 just signed new contracts). The club would still need to pay the player and use them in cup games but not in any of the league games.

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I think most sides in L2 will miss a bit of creativity and flair though. We could always put Worrall in central midfield and play Amoo and Browne on the wings which gives us more pace and a bit more attacking impetus too. Or Robinson out wide with Cullen up top.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

DTS and Hurst look a million miles away from the 1st team to me. I would expect both to be loaned out until Jan to give us an option of loaning a player to make a difference in the 1st 11.

Doesn't make any difference loaning Hurst - he's under 21 and not included in the the 22 man squad. We have 23 over 21s including DTS, so we can't get one out and bring one in.

Even with Oyeleke out injured the midfield that finished the season strongly was Burgess/Joyce/Conlon then there is now Whitehead and Hurst not to forget Trickett-Smith but also Worral can play midfield and Mills can play holding midfield....so that is a strong first choice midfield three with five possible choices as cover even without Oyeleke....thinking Askey has got it covered somewhat although a fit Oyeleke would certainly be a big bonus.

Archived