Burgess/Joyce/Conlon

Amoo/Cullen/Worrall

Visser

Mills/Brisley/Crooke/Fitzy

Oyeleke/Whitehead/Hurst

Browne/Robinson/Rodney

Suspended: Pope

Unused :Trickett-Smith/Cambell-Gordon

If the above is the first team on day one then Mills/Brisley/Fitzpatrick/Oyeleke/Whitehead/Robinson will along with Pope after suspension all want first team games and good young players like Crooke/Hurst/Browne/Rodney will be pushing for places....Askey has put together a squad with good depth and a strong bench.

56 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Thing is with manny. Even if this isn’t that serious of an injury, there will be many more niggles throughout the season. I can’t see him playing 20 games this year, certainly not close to the level we know he can get to as most the time he will be playing his first game back after a few weeks out. 

I really think we need a creative Cm. To replace Taylor who was a key player and to cover if manny is injured. Maybe take another younger player on loan? 

This is exactly what I was saying a few months ago. 

Anyone expecting to get 46 games out of Oyeleke is delusional.

Joyce is in his thirties.

Taylor is a big loss.

There’s 4 gone from midfield in  Taylor/Atkinson/Lloyd/Evans. 

1 in, Whitehead. 

Net loss of three.

With the hurdles faced with Oyeleke and Joyce, Its going to ask a LOT of Conlon and Burgess if he doesn’t get someone else in. 

42 minutes ago, JRC said:

Rodney, Robinson and Whitehead are all on 1st 11 money and expected to be pushing to nail down a first 11 place. I suspect Mills, Fitzpatrick and Visser will all be viewed as backup players. For me its still odds on to be Brown Gibbons Legge Smith Montano Joyce Burgess Conlon Amoo Cullen and Worrall first game. 

I agree with that side and their big challenge will be goals after last season's tally of just 50. Last season the playoff sides averaged just under 53, so that requires a small increase; but the top three averaged ten more at just over 63. So, if we are aiming for automatic promotion, it needs a significant increase. 10 from defence? 20 from midfield? 30+ from our forwards? Whatever the permutation, it will take a sustained effort. We're looking stronger than last season, so it's certainly possible...

Taylor/Atkinson/Lloyd/Evans isn't four gone from midfield and only one in Whitehead as Evans was considered a right back and Mills is the upgrade likewise Whitehead replaces Atkinson... it could be said that Trickett-Smith replaces Lloyd and if Hurst is this seasons Burgess then the left side midfield is between Conlon and Hurst....got to say the are concerns over both Oyeleke and Cullen and their injury records......expect Legge and Pope must be on their last season and will want promotion and if Cullen and Oyeleke miss much of another season again through injury both will be out of contract and gone as well.....at the end of the day we have seven mids for three spots and Mills can play defensive midfield and Worrall can drop in as well so whats that nine players for three spots.

This season is starting a month late but finishing at the usual time. I expect that with games coming thick and fast we will need to use the squad carefully . If by any chance we go on a run in any or all of the cup competitons we will have to rotate the squad regardless of any injuries and suspensions that we pick up. So I think it likely that most of the squad will be called upon. So it is good that we now have good cover for all positions in the team.

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Taylor is a big loss.

1 in, Whitehead. 

Net loss of three.

With the hurdles faced with Oyeleke and Joyce, Its going to ask a LOT of Conlon and Burgess if he doesn’t get someone else in. 

Evans was never considered a midfielder to my knowledge. Lloyd was never considered good enough by most. Taylor isn't a big loss if you're talking about how we did without him in the side.

However you try to nitpick, a midfield of Conlon, Burgess, Whitehead, Joyce and Oyeleke is very strong. Unless it was to replace Oyeleke it's madness that you think we actually need another central midfielder.

Evans played 9 times, 4 times in centre mid. It's unreasonable to pretend otherwise. 'Considered a right back!?!? for his 5 appearances in defence he only ever played at LB because Atkinson or Gibbons were at RB. Crewe, Newcastle U21, Mansfield, Walsall, and Leyton Orient.

It's a loss of a midfield option. Fact. 

These are all players who were already here. 

We will miss Taylor, and we will miss Taylors goals. Hoping Hurst and Trickett-Smith will come good for a promotion season when they haven't got a football league appearance between them is knocking on la la land. 

10 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Evans was never considered a midfielder to my knowledge. Lloyd was never considered good enough by most. Taylor isn't a big loss if you're talking about how we did without him in the side.

However you try to nitpick, a midfield of Conlon, Burgess, Whitehead, Joyce and Oyeleke is very strong. Unless it was to replace Oyeleke it's madness that you think we actually need another central midfielder.

You're wrong, because he played in cm for nearly half of his appearances. Shrewsbury, Newport, Plymouth and Franchise. 

He was or was one off joint top scorer. We offered a cash bid to buy him Askey rates him so much. Not a big loss? Am I taking crazy pills!?

It's madness that with four out and one in, one perennial crock and the other 33, and two loanees called in without a football league appearance between them, you you think we don't actually need another central midfielder.  Two preseason games in and Oyelekes picked something up already. He's a quality, game changing player but with his ridiculous injury record it's best to assume he won't be available all season and if he is it's a nice surprise. That leaves 4, one of whom is 33 and will need resting at times. That leaves 3, for 2 spots. When you actually look into it, there's not the huge amount of depth there you think there is. I'm not on about signing someone on a permanent, I just want another youth loan from division 1/2 for rotation and breathing space.  

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Taylor is a big loss.

1 in, Whitehead. 

Net loss of three.

My twopenneth,

Whilst I share some of your concerns, I don't think we're too bad in midfield, Taylor is the only one we'll miss based on last season.  A quick look at wikipedia shows Taylor 18 apps + 7 cup,  Atkinson 11 + 4, Lloyd 6 + 6 and Evans 5 + 4. The last pair probably played more actual minutes in the EFL Trophy than in the League.

Let's not forget that Atkinson was more of a utility man, playing some of those 11 + 4 at RB.  Fitzpatrick is a far better bet as a midfielder and Mills better cover at RB in my opinion.

Also, Burgess only played 24 league games last season so we can reasonably expect him to play far more than this.  Fingers crossed, but if he can find a few more goals he can replicate Taylor.  He got into the positions last term but lacked Taylors composure.  Tom Conlon only made 27 appearances, 22 of which were in the league, and scored just 1 goal.  Again, he really should be looking at 8 or more if he plays in an advanced roll.

Wozza, Amoo, Rhys Browne, should all be chipping in with more goals this season.

Oyeleke, as you rightly point out, we can regard as a bonus player.  The question is whether he can play more than the 6 games he managed last year, and, if so, chip in with the odd goal.

Perhaps Hurst can make the step up and we can include him in our midfield permutations.

With the heavier than normal schedule fitness will be the key for all the teams this season.  We'll need a bit of luck on that score.

9 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fitzpatrick is a far better bet as a midfielder

I've never read anything to suggest he plays further forward, just LB, so if that's true then problem solved. I just wanted an extra body there for rotation; We were never going to be so lucky as to get another Taylor (unless he's free in January), that sort of loan player doesn't come round very often where he hasn't done enough at the parent club so is cheap and available, but then absolutely tears it up on loan, so just getting one more in just for cover was going to have to do. 

Job done then. 

5 minutes ago, Doha said:

Evans played 9 times, 4 times in centre mid. It's unreasonable to pretend otherwise. 'Considered a right back!?!? for his 5 appearances in defence he only ever played at LB because Atkinson or Gibbons were at RB. Crewe, Newcastle U21, Mansfield, Walsall, and Leyton Orient.

It's a loss of a midfield option. Fact. 

These are all players who were already here. 

We will miss Taylor, and we will miss Taylors goals. Hoping Hurst and Trickett-Smith will come good for a promotion season when they haven't got a football league appearance between them is knocking on la la land. 

In terms Evans he was signed to provide cover at rightback in the same way Mills has been. Its quite likely Mills will play more football in midfield than defence if Gibbons is fit all season. It doesnt make him someone signed to play in midfield. The fact of squad size limits mean if we've gone for 4 forwards we can only have 5 midfield players and 3 wingers. If you go with 6 midfield players you have to reduce your strikers or your wingers down to 2. That applies to all clubs in league 2.

It's obvious options will be reduced for all clubs this season. We used 29 players last year. We can't this season, nor can Salford,  Mansfield, Exeter or any other club. Morecombe on their budget used 34 players last season! Its all but certain Hurst will have to play games because he doesn't count among the 22. Whether he's good enough or not you can't replace him in the squad because Taylor counts as over 21. It is what it is. The hope will be Hurst will take his chances. Other clubs will be forced to play under 21s at times this season. How those players performed when called on may end up being just as critical as how a star striker plays. For at least 12 months its as much part of the game as the offside law. Next season it reduces to 20!

13 minutes ago, Doha said:

I've never read anything to suggest he plays further forward, just LB, so if that's true then problem solved. I just wanted an extra body there for rotation; We were never going to be so lucky as to get another Taylor (unless he's free in January), that sort of loan player doesn't come round very often where he hasn't done enough at the parent club so is cheap and available, but then absolutely tears it up on loan, so just getting one more in just for cover was going to have to do. 

Job done then. 

In this case for Fitzpatrick read Whitehead.  All the excitement of a new signing has scrambled my brain

Archived