Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Firstly I think we have a good midfield. So not hard to please. I like many on here think we’re a Cm short with mannys fitness issues. That Dosent make me hard to please!?!? 

Whitehead is completely unproven at this level. He’s proven in the league below but not at this level. 

Personally im unsure what your love is for Conlon. A midfielder who in his time here has been inconsistent throughout.

Joyce. He’s a solid player. I don’t see where a critism was from me? He’s a good league 2 player. I wouldn’t go as far as sayings he’s quality though. 

Again hurst and ts completely Unknown. They may be great but we don’t know and personally I think we’re one man short in the middle. You don’t agree. That’s fine. 

Obsessed with Taylor but didn’t mention him in my post? 

Manny is by far our best Cm in terms of quality. It’s a damn shame he can’t stay fit. Now he’s a quality league 2 player and if not for injuries would be playing higher. 

I don't think Oyeleke is our best midfielder in regards to quality but that comes down to opinion. He looks good when he's driving with the ball but even when he's on the pitch he doesn't do that often enough at times. But getting him actually fit and available is the biggest concern. But even with him taken out of consideration we are still left with Joyce, Burgess, Conlon and Whitehead along with Worrall and Mills who can both play there comfortably.

Conlon's best and most consistent form came when Taylor got injured and he was told by Askey to get forward more. For me he really stepped up during this period and will go on to be a big player for us. I'd take him all day, every day over Oyeleke. Fortunately for us we can select both if the latter can sort his body out.

Edited by TylerB

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

People make me laugh on this website , slagging a player off who wants to play for port Vale while lording over Maynard who doesn't . Seen his you tube interview where he states he and the club are in

Posted Images

Some people just dont see what players like Joyce bring to the team. Maybe it’s because they’re not flashy and do the simple things. 

Can Mills really play in midfield? I’m always wary when players come who are full backs that can play midfield. Sounds to me like we’d be really making do if that happened 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

At Bradford away last year I ended up sitting virtually in a line with the one on the pitch along which Joyce played virtually the whole first half. He hardly moved off this line between our penalty area and the half-way line. I began to start watching him closely and it was fascinating. He lacks pace but more than makes up for it in anticipation. He covered areas constantly and all our play went through him despite him rarely passing the ball more than ten yards.  Utterly unspectacular but brilliant. Watch him one game, maybe one behind closed doors on the television and see how crucial he is. It is probably not coincidence but I think the only game we lost at home was the one he missed?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

At Bradford away last year I ended up sitting virtually in a line with the one on the pitch along which Joyce played virtually the whole first half. He hardly moved off this line between our penalty area and the half-way line. I began to start watching him closely and it was fascinating. He lacks pace but more than makes up for it in anticipation. He covered areas constantly and all our play went through him despite him rarely passing the ball more than ten yards.  Utterly unspectacular but brilliant. Watch him one game, maybe one behind closed doors on the television and see how crucial he is. It is probably not coincidence but I think the only game we lost at home was the one he missed?

100% agree with this.  I sit low down in the Bycars and when kicking towards the Hamil it's quite interesting to watch Joyce.  His anticipation and positional play are excellent.  I'd also add that observing from the same viewpoint Smith is a far better ball player than some give him credit for.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

I don't think Oyeleke is our best midfielder in regards to quality but that comes down to opinion. He looks good when he's driving with the ball but even when he's on the pitch he doesn't do that often enough at times. But getting him actually fit and available is the biggest concern. But even with him taken out of consideration we are still left with Joyce, Burgess, Conlon and Whitehead along with Worrall and Mills who can both play there comfortably.

Conlon's best and most consistent form came when Taylor got injured and he was told by Askey to get forward more. For me he really stepped up during this period and will go on to be a big player for us. I'd take him all day, every day over Oyeleke. Fortunately for us we can select both if the latter can sort his body out.

I completely agree with the above about Conlon and his performances post January. Would also add he is arguably the second best crosser of the ball at the club behind Worrall. The way he landed the ball on a sixpence for Worrall at Northampton last year or the ball for Legges header at Walsall were superb pieces of technique.

• Like 3

Nice to read such appreciative comments about the often unnoticed skills and hard work, highlighting the intentional strategies that are applied and often overlooked, or not noticed, in the hurly burly of a match.

Edited by SFBT
  • Like 1

Every attack starts with joyce even though he only really plays a ten yard pass and hes always available to receive the ball

10 hours ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

Brilliant post @Tony Rodriguez I did a much less intensive version last season and watched him for 5-10 mins and I think you're spot on. His positioning is perfect and he always does the simple pass so we don't lose the ball. Perhaps people should watch him on the live stream on Saturday and see his contribution. He's the  absolute balancing point of our side. Without him, the midfield lacks defensive qualities and the defence lacks a player who's held back that they can pass to and allow us to keep the ball not lump it. I'd say he's probably the one player in the side that is not easily replaceable.

It takes a certain kind of player to play that holding midfield role, sounds easy I guess when you look at what he does, but you don’t play the amount of games at this level as he has without being a decent player. Another thing to watch is how we work our way down the pitch from fullback as well. Often you’ll see him linking our play between the fullbacks, the wingers and the midfielder who plays either side of him. I know that we work a lot on this to enable players like Monty, Gibbo or whoever’s at full back to be an attacking threat. He starts most things off for us, he must be good at what he does because he always seems to find space even when the opposition try to drop their number ten in to counteract him. 

Luke Joyce was a victim of NS .

By that I mean he dragged us all down to the virtual abyss.

Aspin who I criticised , god only knows what he had to contend with. The players were treated like cattle. Equally the fans were treated with contempt.

That's all behind us and anyone who can't see that Luke Joyce isn't an absolutely crucial member of the team needs an eye test. 

Joyce started poorly for the reasons I alluded to and he is now a different player along with others like Worrall. Credit to JA and his staff but also the new owners have lifted a dark cloud and it's a decent place to play your football. 

Only disappointment is the likes of Joyce and Legge are in the latter stages of their careers. 

After Worrall last season there were top notch efforts from quite a number of which Joyce was and remains an integral part 

• Like 1

It takes a certain kind of player to play that holding midfield role, sounds easy I guess when you look at what he does, but you don’t play the amount of games at this level as he has without being a decent player. Another thing to watch is how we work our way down the pitch from fullback as well. Often you’ll see him linking our play between the fullbacks, the wingers and the midfielder who plays either side of him. I know that we work a lot on this to enable players like Monty, Gibbo or whoever’s at full back to be an attacking threat. He starts most things off for us, he must be good at what he does because he always seems to find space even when the opposition try to drop their number ten in to counteract him. 
I said last season that I was surprised more teams didn't put a man on joyce to stop us from building play

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Joyce started poorly for the reasons I alluded to and he is now a different player along with others like Worrall

I think in general it's underestimated how much of a upheaval it is to move to a new club. Over the years we've had tons of players who have taken a season to settle in to being a Vale player. Joyce and Legge have both come on in leaps and bounds after they have been at the club for a season. But I can also think of players like Doug Loft who had a mediocre first season and then became a much better player. Or someone like Remie Streete, who looked circumspect when first on loan but once he'd been with us a while looked a class act.

I don't think it's just a "football" thing. They are probably moving home, family, kids schools and so on, so initially it is going to be a headache and their mind is going to be elsewhere. But once they've settled in, the family is sorted they can concentrate on the football again. I think it's understandable it takes some time for new arrivals to find their feet.

This is why I think we've got the makings of a really good season. The majority of our players have been here for at least a season.

The friendlies may already have given us a glimpse that the likes of Browne are settled and showing that they are better than they looked in their first season.

Meanwhile, other clubs who have brought in lots of newcomers will have to allow time for them to settle and I suspect it's even more difficult with social distancing and the like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think in general it's underestimated how much of a upheaval it is to move to a new club. Over the years we've had tons of players who have taken a season to settle in to being a Vale player. Joyce and Legge have both come on in leaps and bounds after they have been at the club for a season. But I can also think of players like Doug Loft who had a mediocre first season and then became a much better player. Or someone like Remie Streete, who looked circumspect when first on loan but once he'd been with us a while looked a class act.

I don't think it's just a "football" thing. They are probably moving home, family, kids schools and so on, so initially it is going to be a headache and their mind is going to be elsewhere. But once they've settled in, the family is sorted they can concentrate on the football again. I think it's understandable it takes some time for new arrivals to find their feet.

This is why I think we've got the makings of a really good season. The majority of our players have been here for at least a season.

The friendlies may already have given us a glimpse that the likes of Browne are settled and showing that they are better than they looked in their first season.

Meanwhile, other clubs who have brought in lots of newcomers will have to allow time for them to settle and I suspect it's even more difficult with social distancing and the like.

Possibly easier for players who commute to settle in,  but then they get tired of travelling. It takes all sorts.

Non league doesn't start until October 3rd I think so Hurst, Trickett-Smith and Campbell-Gordon literally have no where to go on loan until then.

A great opportunity to stake a claim and force themselves into Askey's reckoning.

Hurst was and interesting one as we had him in on trial, and Askey was quoted as saying some of the players in training were commenting on how good he looked. Big season for him now.

And wasn't Campbell-Gordon interesting Brentford before signing a new deal with us? 6'3, athletic, modern day full back. On paper he seems like he has the perfect attributes for a LB but for some reason still hasn't forced himself into the 1st team squad. 

I voted for Luke Joyce in the OVF POTY vote.  I love him.

I see Rob has mentioned Remie Streete.  This was the lad who caused a complete meltdown on here when he wasn't offered a new contract because we couldn't afford to match his existing salary.  The poor lad hasn't played a game since because of a long term injury issue.  Sometimes the fans have no idea what goes on.

• Like 1