onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

2 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I’d be quite happy with Nathan Thomas

When you've got Harry McKirdy already sat in the palm of your hand? No thanks. Both would be gambles. One for personality reasons and the other because we're hoping he will even be any good. Rather go for the undoubted ability and trust Askey to iron out any lingering doubts over attitude and application. We'll see what develops this week anyway.

Advert

14 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

With respect, I could genuinely list 100 players over the past 2 or 3 seasons who've had a decent game against us, but I'd be lucky if I picked 10 of them that I'd be happy to sign.

The amount of players over the years I've seen opposition fans moan about, I've checked up their profiles and 99% have scored 1 goal all season and shock horror, it's against Vale. 

I’m indifferent as I know nothing about him, although most fans seem quick to be unhappy with anyone we sign anyway. I’m just making the observation that he played well when he came on, nothing more, he offered a different kind of threat to mckirdy and it took a little while for our full backs to get to grips with him and he made a difference for a short while and they were on top.

14 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Nathan Thomas would be ridiculously underwhelming.

Nathan Thomas is a good player. He was allegedly on 10k a week at Sheffield. I don't see him coming because we need wingers who can score and he's not really prolific. He's more of an out and out wide player. Also he doesn't travel well, or allegedly,  his wife doesn't. 

Rowe, Thomas definitely and possibly McKirdy are all looking at possible pay cuts. I suspect location would therefore be a factor for all 3. That would probably make Rowe and McKirdy to be more likely. 

39 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I can see Danny Rowe happening - Askey has worked with him before and we all know he loves those signings.

Rowe would need months to get fit. Great player but I can't see it. 

We've got to remember that the new winger is coming in to replace what was basically our back up. If it is Thomas, then we will have quite an upgrade on Browne imo, and he would be challenging Amoo for the starting position. 

6 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Rowe would need months to get fit. Great player but I can't see it. 

We've got to remember that the new winger is coming in to replace what was basically our back up. If it is Thomas, then we will have quite an upgrade on Browne imo, and he would be challenging Amoo for the starting position. 

Exactly this. I don't know what some people are expecting. Thomas would be a very good player to have in the squad. He's more than capable at this level and would definitely seem an improvement on Browne. His signing makes more sense than McKirdy in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Exactly this. I don't know what some people are expecting. Thomas would be a very good player to have in the squad. He's more than capable at this level and would definitely seem an improvement on Browne. His signing makes more sense than McKirdy in my opinion.

@TylerBI keep agreeing with you on this thread!

I also think it would be a good signing if it happens - a proven, pacy winger and an upgrade on Rhys.

The only thing I would add is that (like Robinson and Fitzpatrick) I hope people are patient in the opening weeks if he signs as Thomas will probably be short of match fitness.

On 08/09/2020 at 16:47, valeparklife said:

xeter are about to pocket £4m-£6m with a sell on fee they had for Ollie Watkins.

That's the dream right there!

Except you can't re-invest a windfall like that back into the 1st team playing squad due to salary cap rules.

Could invest in infrastructure, facilities & youth set-ups or end up in the arse pocket of the owner (not aimed at our current owners, although quite frankly I would not begrudge them if they did after saving us )

Absolutely no idea who Nathan Thomas is other than a wiki page. Looks like another player King John has worked with before when at Shrewsbury so must trust him to fit in the squad and clearly feels he is good enough to play in L1.

In King John I trust so If he's good enough for him he will do for me!!

Absolutely no idea who Nathan Thomas is other than a wiki page. Looks like another player King John has worked with before when at Shrewsbury so must trust him to fit in the squad and clearly feels he is good enough to play in L1.
In King John I trust so If he's good enough for him he will do for me!!
I didn't realise Askey signed him for Shrewsbury, that makes it more likely for me

1 hour ago, MBE said:

Except you can't re-invest a windfall like that back into the 1st team playing squad due to salary cap rules.

Could invest in infrastructure, facilities & youth set-ups or end up in the arse pocket of the owner (not aimed at our current owners, although quite frankly I would not begrudge them if they did after saving us )

The money that they have is going back to support the club and the huge shortfall they have due to the black hole caused by COVID 19. I think it’s more of a relief for them as they were really beginning to struggle financially.

2 hours ago, robf said:

@TylerBI keep agreeing with you on this thread!

I also think it would be a good signing if it happens - a proven, pacy winger and an upgrade on Rhys.

The only thing I would add is that (like Robinson and Fitzpatrick) I hope people are patient in the opening weeks if he signs as Thomas will probably be short of match fitness.

I can’t say that I have ever seen him play but looking at the clips he looks really useful, and an upgrade on what he had as a backup.

Hopefully the club will announce something before the season starts.

11 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I can see Danny Rowe happening - Askey has worked with him before and we all know he loves those signings.

He was/has been spoken to and Askey has asked about him on loan in the past but i believe he wants to play higher up plus there is still a concern over his fitness,i would be very surprised if we signed him now

Archived