onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

17 hours ago, MBE said:

I don;t understand the negativity behind McKurdy. Yes he wasn't happy in Carlisle. We all see he plays with a swagger, is "clever" winning free kicks which is annoying to watch at times however he is that skilled creative type we currently lack in our squad. A player who can do something out of nothing to unlock a defence in a tight game.

The type of player every promotion chasing squad need.

Agree totally.

The game management/ dark arts is something most clubs employ at times as we often have witnessed. No i am certainly not saying to cheat as that is bang out of order.

But knowing when a nudge or contact is coming and getting a free kick in the 92nd minute kills a few seconds and nips things in the bud. McKirdy as is Grant is king at it. 

Hence Salford, Orient, Mansfield etc etc we threw late leads away when a bit of acumen and nous would of gained us a win.

11 goals last season, only at Vale could we have naysayers about a possible game changer.

He is a petulant prat but if he plays for Vale he would be OUR petulant prat who can win a game for you.

Advert

Just now, darren1810 said:

Agree totally.

The game management/ dark arts is something most clubs employ at times as we often have witnessed. No i am certainly not saying to cheat as that is bang out of order.

But knowing when a nudge or contact is coming and getting a free kick in the 92nd minute kills a few seconds and nips things in the bud. McKirdy as is Grant is king at it. 

Hence Salford, Orient, Mansfield etc etc we threw late leads away when a bit of acumen and nous would of gained us a win.

11 goals last season, only at Vale could we have naysayers about a possible game changer.

He is a petulant prat but if he plays for Vale he would be OUR petulant prat who can win a game for you.

Not really seen how Crewe fans saw him in terms of antics or in the dressing room? Apparently Carlisle fans suggest they felt he wasnt happy there and maybe homesick?

4 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Probably thought he was still big time because he came from Villa. Now he has had a full season in league 2 and realising his antics have had a knock on effect that no clubs have offered him a contract, he might have changed his ways. Also, if his family live in Stoke, he won’t want to $hit on his own doorstep. That’s my optimistic view anyway 😄

If we sign him BB hope you are right. There is a good footballer in there but carries a lot of baggage around with him. Hopefully Askey can lose the bad stuff and get more of the good stuff out of him. Being released by Carlisle and subsequent  lack of interest should bring him back down to earth. Feel this is a crossroads moment for his career. If only  Ryan Burge had written an autobiography , now would be the time to read it. However , footballers are notoriously slow at hearing the penny finally drop and even as their career spirals down the plughole usually fail to realise the real problem isnt elsewhere but  is staring back at them from the bathroom mirror. 

55 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Agree totally.

Only 5 league goals and only 10 in his career. 

From the PVO report on his visit to Vale last November:

“We have had some exasperating tactics and behaviour from Stevenage and Oldham recently and some Carlisle players did themselves no favours, most notably Harry McKirdy who dived all over the place and caused plenty of trouble. Amazing that he was never booked. Carlisle fans have been heavily critical of him after the game and some want him to leave.“

Some of the comments in this thread are staggering. People didn't want Maynard because apparently he took too long to make a decision and we only want players who want to play for the club. Nathan Smith was slagged off by some on social media for an apparent lack of loyalty and 'chasing the money' yet those same fans were wetting themselves with excitement when the news broke that he'd committed to a new 2 year deal. Now we don't want McKirdy because he's a bit of a prat who plays up a bit. He's a little <ovf censored> house but so what? We're lacking goals out wide and we need to stop fannying about being all nicey nicey in games. If we had done this on several occasions last season, we'd be looking forward to League One football next Saturday. 

Askey has an impeccable record thus far of signing the right characters. Even the bit part players that didn't really pay off like Kennedy, Evans and Lloyd haven't had any shred of criticism in regards to their professionalism or conduct. I'm more than happy to trust John Askey, you know, the professional football manager, over agenda-driven opinions from a variation of supporters. We're never going to all agree, that's a given. But one thing we'll ALL unanimously agree on, is that we ALL want the very best for PVFC and we'd all be delighted if he signed and proved a lot wrong and delivered for us. Have faith folks. 

If the management think that he’ll fit in then it’s their decision and unless he doesn’t want to play for us then he’ll be pulling in the Vale shirt. I would definitely sign McLean even if we send him out on loan and have a look at him in the trophy games. Surely if we sign them both then we won’t have to take any load players that don’t come cheap. If McLean has pace and we need to replace RB or LB then pace    is a great advantage. Could be our new Darren Hughes.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

More than Scott Burgess at the same age though?

I dont like the bloke, but I can see the advantage of having a niggly horrible bloke play for us not the opposition.

If he signs, I will back Askey and Carol to done their Due Diligence and will back their call. Its what they are good at.

52 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

From the PVO report on his visit to Vale last November:

“We have had some exasperating tactics and behaviour from Stevenage and Oldham recently and some Carlisle players did themselves no favours, most notably Harry McKirdy who dived all over the place and caused plenty of trouble. Amazing that he was never booked. Carlisle fans have been heavily critical of him after the game and some want him to leave.“

I've just read through the Carlisle forum released list thread, where he was the obvious topic of conversation. More of their fans wanted him to stay than leave. Even those that wanted him to leave generally felt he was  their best player and would go elsewhere and be successful. A number who wanted him to leave felt he was just never going to work with their new manager and that things really deteriorated from there. There perception is Beech has a preference for work man like players and McKirdy isn't that type of player. Not sure a PVO articles have a reputation for objectivity.

Askey has managed a few maverick type players in the past. I think Durrell was a player who had a few moments. It really comes down to whether he and Askey can forge a relationship and whether Askey feels he's good enough as a player within our system. 

I don't have a real opinion on this signing. I do find it odd that there was no real questions about him being a disruptive influence surfaced during his three extended loans or at Villa, yet became a major issue at Carlisle. I suspect he is partly to blame but also Carlisle didn't seem a particularly happy place to be last season. Young man away from his family for the first time making an arse of himself in a difficult situation isn't that unusual an occurance. Askey will be more aware than we are as to what really has happened and he'll get judged on the call he makes.

But 17 in all competitions (40 starts and 40 sub appearances) looks much better. Even his league stats of 10 in 34 starts and 33 from the bench isn't bad for a young winger. All 5 of his league goals came in games Carlisle won by a single goal. In terms of goals per game he's way ahead of our wingers.

If you look at his overall record his ability to score from wide positions isn't an issue. The question Askey needs to make a call on is will he be negative within the squad.

That's twisting things a bit though.  In all competitions he has a very credible 17 goals in 80 games and that's despite one permanent and three loan spells (so he's had to settle into four different squads, tactics and team mates and he's still found the net regularly).

1 hour ago, JRC said:

I've just read through the Carlisle forum released list thread, where he was the obvious topic of conversation. More of their fans wanted him to stay than leave. Even those that wanted him to leave generally felt he was  their best player and would go elsewhere and be successful. A number who wanted him to leave felt he was just never going to work with their new manager and that things really deteriorated from there. There perception is Beech has a preference for work man like players and McKirdy isn't that type of player. Not sure a PVO articles have a reputation for objectivity.

Askey has managed a few maverick type players in the past. I think Durrell was a player who had a few moments. It really comes down to whether he and Askey can forge a relationship and whether Askey feels he's good enough as a player within our system. 

I don't have a real opinion on this signing. I do find it odd that there was no real questions about him being a disruptive influence surfaced during his three extended loans or at Villa, yet became a major issue at Carlisle. I suspect he is partly to blame but also Carlisle didn't seem a particularly happy place to be last season. Young man away from his family for the first time making an arse of himself in a difficult situation isn't that unusual an occurance. Askey will be more aware than we are as to what really has happened and he'll get judged on the call he makes.

Thats a more balanced view of things

Archived