onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

It takes a certain kind of player to play that holding midfield role, sounds easy I guess when you look at what he does, but you don’t play the amount of games at this level as he has without being a decent player. Another thing to watch is how we work our way down the pitch from fullback as well. Often you’ll see him linking our play between the fullbacks, the wingers and the midfielder who plays either side of him. I know that we work a lot on this to enable players like Monty, Gibbo or whoever’s at full back to be an attacking threat. He starts most things off for us, he must be good at what he does because he always seems to find space even when the opposition try to drop their number ten in to counteract him. 

Advert

Luke Joyce was a victim of NS .

By that I mean he dragged us all down to the virtual abyss.

Aspin who I criticised , god only knows what he had to contend with. The players were treated like cattle. Equally the fans were treated with contempt.

That's all behind us and anyone who can't see that Luke Joyce isn't an absolutely crucial member of the team needs an eye test. 

Joyce started poorly for the reasons I alluded to and he is now a different player along with others like Worrall. Credit to JA and his staff but also the new owners have lifted a dark cloud and it's a decent place to play your football. 

Only disappointment is the likes of Joyce and Legge are in the latter stages of their careers. 

After Worrall last season there were top notch efforts from quite a number of which Joyce was and remains an integral part 

It takes a certain kind of player to play that holding midfield role, sounds easy I guess when you look at what he does, but you don’t play the amount of games at this level as he has without being a decent player. Another thing to watch is how we work our way down the pitch from fullback as well. Often you’ll see him linking our play between the fullbacks, the wingers and the midfielder who plays either side of him. I know that we work a lot on this to enable players like Monty, Gibbo or whoever’s at full back to be an attacking threat. He starts most things off for us, he must be good at what he does because he always seems to find space even when the opposition try to drop their number ten in to counteract him. 
I said last season that I was surprised more teams didn't put a man on joyce to stop us from building play

25 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Joyce started poorly for the reasons I alluded to and he is now a different player along with others like Worrall

I think in general it's underestimated how much of a upheaval it is to move to a new club. Over the years we've had tons of players who have taken a season to settle in to being a Vale player. Joyce and Legge have both come on in leaps and bounds after they have been at the club for a season. But I can also think of players like Doug Loft who had a mediocre first season and then became a much better player. Or someone like Remie Streete, who looked circumspect when first on loan but once he'd been with us a while looked a class act.

I don't think it's just a "football" thing. They are probably moving home, family, kids schools and so on, so initially it is going to be a headache and their mind is going to be elsewhere. But once they've settled in, the family is sorted they can concentrate on the football again. I think it's understandable it takes some time for new arrivals to find their feet.

This is why I think we've got the makings of a really good season. The majority of our players have been here for at least a season.

The friendlies may already have given us a glimpse that the likes of Browne are settled and showing that they are better than they looked in their first season.

Meanwhile, other clubs who have brought in lots of newcomers will have to allow time for them to settle and I suspect it's even more difficult with social distancing and the like.

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think in general it's underestimated how much of a upheaval it is to move to a new club. Over the years we've had tons of players who have taken a season to settle in to being a Vale player. Joyce and Legge have both come on in leaps and bounds after they have been at the club for a season. But I can also think of players like Doug Loft who had a mediocre first season and then became a much better player. Or someone like Remie Streete, who looked circumspect when first on loan but once he'd been with us a while looked a class act.

I don't think it's just a "football" thing. They are probably moving home, family, kids schools and so on, so initially it is going to be a headache and their mind is going to be elsewhere. But once they've settled in, the family is sorted they can concentrate on the football again. I think it's understandable it takes some time for new arrivals to find their feet.

This is why I think we've got the makings of a really good season. The majority of our players have been here for at least a season.

The friendlies may already have given us a glimpse that the likes of Browne are settled and showing that they are better than they looked in their first season.

Meanwhile, other clubs who have brought in lots of newcomers will have to allow time for them to settle and I suspect it's even more difficult with social distancing and the like.

Possibly easier for players who commute to settle in,  but then they get tired of travelling. It takes all sorts.

Non league doesn't start until October 3rd I think so Hurst, Trickett-Smith and Campbell-Gordon literally have no where to go on loan until then.

A great opportunity to stake a claim and force themselves into Askey's reckoning.

Hurst was and interesting one as we had him in on trial, and Askey was quoted as saying some of the players in training were commenting on how good he looked. Big season for him now.

And wasn't Campbell-Gordon interesting Brentford before signing a new deal with us? 6'3, athletic, modern day full back. On paper he seems like he has the perfect attributes for a LB but for some reason still hasn't forced himself into the 1st team squad. 

I voted for Luke Joyce in the OVF POTY vote.  I love him.

I see Rob has mentioned Remie Streete.  This was the lad who caused a complete meltdown on here when he wasn't offered a new contract because we couldn't afford to match his existing salary.  The poor lad hasn't played a game since because of a long term injury issue.  Sometimes the fans have no idea what goes on.

Disappointed Rhys has left. I thought he was a good alternative on either wing in terms of his style vs the pace and constant running of Wozza.

Goodluck to him.

I will be Interested to see if we go for a like for like replacement or we find creative solution - use Monty as pushing Wozza & Ammo instead and perhaps look for a more inventive midfielder .It also makes me wonder if JA knew it was going to happen hence the Fitzpatrick signing earlier in the week.

21 minutes ago, MBE said:

Disappointed Rhys has left. I thought he was a good alternative on either wing in terms of his style vs the pace and constant running of Wozza.

Goodluck to him.

I will be Interested to see if we go for a like for like replacement or we find creative solution - use Monty as pushing Wozza & Ammo instead and perhaps look for a more inventive midfielder .It also makes me wonder if JA knew it was going to happen hence the Fitzpatrick signing earlier in the week.

A couple of people have mentioned the Fitzpatrick signing. Myself I don't see a connection as two totally different players /options 

Archived