onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

20 minutes ago, TylerB said:

My God, you're hard to please. Whitehead is clearly a decent player. He's not unknown at all, and is experienced at this level. Both Conlon and Burgess are good players already with the potential to get even better. Joyce isn't just "steady" at all. He's a quality player in this league for what he offers the side and you don't get out of the league without having players like him in your team. But you need legs around him and that's exactly what we have. Oyeleke isn't our best midfielder because he spends so little time on the pitch. Despite of his ability he would be the first one of our midfielders out the door for me if we had to let go of one.

You seem to be obsessed with Jake Taylor even though we did just as well without him and his goals once he got injured and missed a ton of games.

Firstly I think we have a good midfield. So not hard to please. I like many on here think we’re a Cm short with mannys fitness issues. That Dosent make me hard to please!?!? 

Whitehead is completely unproven at this level. He’s proven in the league below but not at this level. 

Personally im unsure what your love is for Conlon. A midfielder who in his time here has been inconsistent throughout.

Joyce. He’s a solid player. I don’t see where a critism was from me? He’s a good league 2 player. I wouldn’t go as far as sayings he’s quality though. 

Again hurst and ts completely Unknown. They may be great but we don’t know and personally I think we’re one man short in the middle. You don’t agree. That’s fine. 

Obsessed with Taylor but didn’t mention him in my post? 

Manny is by far our best Cm in terms of quality. It’s a damn shame he can’t stay fit. Now he’s a quality league 2 player and if not for injuries would be playing higher. 

Advert

Even with Manny injured and discounting Hurst (same age as Taylor and Burgess last season) and Trickett-Smith and considering a first choice midfield that finished strongly last season of Burgess/Joyce/Conlon then a potential back up spare midfield three of Whitehead/Mills/Worral isn't too shabby perhaps.....that would still leave say Amoo/Cullen/Robinson as a front three with a spare set of Browne/Pope/Rodney.......there seems to be a handfull of players who can cover different roles well and all in all a very balanced squad with competition for shirts and cover for every position.....25 man squad signed up everyone we wanted to keep and added six decent signings jobs a good'un.

In terms of the midfield I think manny could be our best player if he was fit, but even then he wasn’t brilliant every game he played though, good but not brilliant. The reality is that we’ve probably had more out of Conlon in his 2 seasons than we’ve had out of manny IMO. Joyce was quality last season. Burgess took his chance as well. We can’t go on forever hoping Manny stays fit and hoping we see his quality consistently. Other players in the squad have stepped up in his place. 

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Joyce. He’s a solid player. I don’t see where a critism was from me? He’s a good league 2 player. I wouldn’t go as far as sayings he’s quality though. 

Sorry to disagree, but to say Joyce is not a quality player, is very harsh, even his own team mates rate him..........😟

Let's also not forget that Conlon and Burgess, though still young, have just got another year of experience under their.belts so you''d hope that  they'd be stronger and better for it this season. If that proves to pan out, then we could have two very exciting players in the ranks, though I'm not suggesting that they are anywhere near to being finished articles, I for one, am prepared to back them until form suggests otherwise.

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Firstly I think we have a good midfield. So not hard to please. I like many on here think we’re a Cm short with mannys fitness issues. That Dosent make me hard to please!?!? 

Whitehead is completely unproven at this level. He’s proven in the league below but not at this level. 

Personally im unsure what your love is for Conlon. A midfielder who in his time here has been inconsistent throughout.

Again hurst and ts completely Unknown. They may be great but we don’t know and personally I think we’re one man short in the middle. You don’t agree. That’s fine. 

Obsessed with Taylor but didn’t mention him in my post? 

Manny is by far our best Cm in terms of quality. It’s a damn shame he can’t stay fit. Now he’s a quality league 2 player and if not for injuries would be playing higher. 

I don't think Oyeleke is our best midfielder in regards to quality but that comes down to opinion. He looks good when he's driving with the ball but even when he's on the pitch he doesn't do that often enough at times. But getting him actually fit and available is the biggest concern. But even with him taken out of consideration we are still left with Joyce, Burgess, Conlon and Whitehead along with Worrall and Mills who can both play there comfortably.

Conlon's best and most consistent form came when Taylor got injured and he was told by Askey to get forward more. For me he really stepped up during this period and will go on to be a big player for us. I'd take him all day, every day over Oyeleke. Fortunately for us we can select both if the latter can sort his body out.

Some people just dont see what players like Joyce bring to the team. Maybe it’s because they’re not flashy and do the simple things. 

Can Mills really play in midfield? I’m always wary when players come who are full backs that can play midfield. Sounds to me like we’d be really making do if that happened 

At Bradford away last year I ended up sitting virtually in a line with the one on the pitch along which Joyce played virtually the whole first half. He hardly moved off this line between our penalty area and the half-way line. I began to start watching him closely and it was fascinating. He lacks pace but more than makes up for it in anticipation. He covered areas constantly and all our play went through him despite him rarely passing the ball more than ten yards.  Utterly unspectacular but brilliant. Watch him one game, maybe one behind closed doors on the television and see how crucial he is. It is probably not coincidence but I think the only game we lost at home was the one he missed?

14 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

At Bradford away last year I ended up sitting virtually in a line with the one on the pitch along which Joyce played virtually the whole first half. He hardly moved off this line between our penalty area and the half-way line. I began to start watching him closely and it was fascinating. He lacks pace but more than makes up for it in anticipation. He covered areas constantly and all our play went through him despite him rarely passing the ball more than ten yards.  Utterly unspectacular but brilliant. Watch him one game, maybe one behind closed doors on the television and see how crucial he is. It is probably not coincidence but I think the only game we lost at home was the one he missed?

100% agree with this.  I sit low down in the Bycars and when kicking towards the Hamil it's quite interesting to watch Joyce.  His anticipation and positional play are excellent.  I'd also add that observing from the same viewpoint Smith is a far better ball player than some give him credit for.

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

I don't think Oyeleke is our best midfielder in regards to quality but that comes down to opinion. He looks good when he's driving with the ball but even when he's on the pitch he doesn't do that often enough at times. But getting him actually fit and available is the biggest concern. But even with him taken out of consideration we are still left with Joyce, Burgess, Conlon and Whitehead along with Worrall and Mills who can both play there comfortably.

Conlon's best and most consistent form came when Taylor got injured and he was told by Askey to get forward more. For me he really stepped up during this period and will go on to be a big player for us. I'd take him all day, every day over Oyeleke. Fortunately for us we can select both if the latter can sort his body out.

I completely agree with the above about Conlon and his performances post January. Would also add he is arguably the second best crosser of the ball at the club behind Worrall. The way he landed the ball on a sixpence for Worrall at Northampton last year or the ball for Legges header at Walsall were superb pieces of technique.

Nice to read such appreciative comments about the often unnoticed skills and hard work, highlighting the intentional strategies that are applied and often overlooked, or not noticed, in the hurly burly of a match.

Every attack starts with joyce even though he only really plays a ten yard pass and hes always available to receive the ball

10 hours ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

Brilliant post @Tony Rodriguez I did a much less intensive version last season and watched him for 5-10 mins and I think you're spot on. His positioning is perfect and he always does the simple pass so we don't lose the ball. Perhaps people should watch him on the live stream on Saturday and see his contribution. He's the  absolute balancing point of our side. Without him, the midfield lacks defensive qualities and the defence lacks a player who's held back that they can pass to and allow us to keep the ball not lump it. I'd say he's probably the one player in the side that is not easily replaceable.

Archived