onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

1 hour ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Don’t be a gimp all your life please Joe. Theo is a good signing at this level. Chill brother. 

Off topic, and I know Joe has replied himself, but I have to say this kind of name calling is totally unwarranted.  Playground stuff.

On topic, Theo, to me at least, looks like more of a typical Askey signing, if there is such a thing, than Maynard ever did.  Every signing is a gamble with a certain amount of risk attached, so who knows how things would’ve turned out had we signed Maynard.  There’s no guarantee  that Maynard would outscore Robinson in our team, just as there’s no guarantee Robinson will outscore Cullen.  Only time will tell.

The fixture list is more congested than ever this year, so most players should get games.  There’s no reason not to believe that one of the front men will hit some kind of form, plus we’ll have good options off the bench.  We look stronger this season and the younger players should improve so I’m happy with the signings and where we currently are with the squad, goal keeper and LB cover aside.

Completely necessary that mate! Good one!
I'm not as besotted with the signing as you, and get names thrown at me.
You seem completely chilled out, to the extent you go around calling people 'gimps' because they've posited an alternative view to the prevailing narrative on here. 
Without this gimp (among a few others), you wouldn't have a Port Vale to be debating mate.
This forum, man. Peace out. Enjoy the season.
It can be embarrassing on here. Unless you're absolutely over the moon with every signing you hounded. 100% positivity 100% of the time, or else!

I would have loved Maynard but not if meant that we would have needed to get promoted to pay for him. That’s a gamble that too many clubs have made with signings.

i won’t be getting Robinson’s full name on the back of my shirt, 1, because the shirt wouldn’t be big enough and 2, I wouldn’t be able to afford all the letters.

5 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I would have loved Maynard but not if meant that we would have needed to get promoted to pay for him. That’s a gamble that too many clubs have made with signings.

i won’t be getting Robinson’s full name on the back of my shirt, 1, because the shirt wouldn’t be big enough and 2, I wouldn’t be able to afford all the letters.

Amoo it is then.

Despite some unrest its pretty remarkable how similar the careers of Maynard and Robinson have been.

Both briefly and unsuccessfully played in the Premiership

Both spent most of their career in the Championship

Maynard has 50 more starts but is two years older 

Robinson has quite a lot more substitute appearances (90)

Both have over 100 league goal - Maynard has 28 more but is 2 seasons older

Both have similar cup records although Robinson's is marginally better in all 3 (quite a lot better in the FA Cup)

Both had unsuccessful stints in Scotland

Both had clear dips in their careers and seem to have rediscovered themselves in league 2 over the last 2 seasons.

Both the same height, one born in December, one in January. Robinson actually started out at Stoke but then moved to Watford, Maynard at Crewe.

Spooky!!

I wanted Maynard to sign he has been prolific these last couple of seasons but the thing nagging me a bit was his age, he is 34 in December and could he still be as prolific 3 seasons on the bounce ???

Pope is 35 this week by the way

Now I’ve seen Robinson’s goals to games ratio and all the similarities mentioned above I’m actually optimistic that Theo will do well

Let’s forget what he achieved here before because Theo and ourselves are in different places now

We have to remember where we were just over 12 months ago , we were staring into oblivion with Norman at the helm

All I know is we have a brilliant club with brilliant owners for the first time in a long time we have a club on and off the pitch to be proud of

Here’s a question....

If we’d signed Robinson today having not previously had him on loan, how many people would have thought “yes, that’s a pretty decent signing”????

My guess is a lot, and might even have considered this slightly better business than Maynard given the comparable records and being slightly younger.

So about the loan spell.... very uninspiring. A bit like everything else about the club at that time, during which, if I recall rightly, we played some of the most turgid, negative and frustrating football I’ve ever seen of a Vale team. 

The point is, players can look very different in different systems, following different instructions and when being coached / motivated by different managers. 

Calvin Andrew was possibly the worst striker I’ve ever seen at Vale, yet has looked a real handful every time we’ve come up against him. How many people remember Marcus Bent??? Frustrated the life out of people, I think we ended up taking a loss on him, and within a couple of years he was playing regularly for Everton.

15 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Here’s a question....

If we’d signed Robinson today having not previously had him on loan, how many people would have thought “yes, that’s a pretty decent signing”????

My guess is a lot, and might even have considered this slightly better business than Maynard given the comparable records and being slightly younger.

So about the loan spell.... very uninspiring. A bit like everything else about the club at that time, during which, if I recall rightly, we played some of the most turgid, negative and frustrating football I’ve ever seen of a Vale team. 

The point is, players can look very different in different systems, following different instructions and when being coached / motivated by different managers. 

Calvin Andrew was possibly the worst striker I’ve ever seen at Vale, yet has looked a real handful every time we’ve come up against him. How many people remember Marcus Bent??? Frustrated the life out of people, I think we ended up taking a loss on him, and within a couple of years he was playing regularly for Everton.

I thought Calvin Andrew wasn’t bad when we had him just had the fans on his back but I did think he’s got potential. 

I agree with what folk have said about the leaking of info from the club.  As has been pointed out, if no one had mentioned Maynard we wouldn't be having much of this debate now.  If someone tells me something in confidence, I don't tell anyone.  I understand that folk hear snippets of what is going on but is their any real need to plaster it all over social media when they do??

given the circumstances and where we were 12 months ago, I think Carol, Kevin, Askey and the rest of them deserve 100% positivity 100% of the time.
We are signing players, solid ones at that during a time when the club has had little to no income for 5 months and doesn't yet know when the gate revenues will resume.  
Dictionary definition of a forum "a meeting or medium where ideas and views can be exchanged"

Unless the website format has changed, people are allowed to come on with a different opinion to you without getting grief.

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

Interestingly we have retained the most 'minutes played' of any League 2 side; 89.1% of our 'minutes' from 19/20 are still at the club  (46 games x 11 players x 90 minutes, so 40,576 of our 45,540 minutes from last season are still at the club, roughly):

image.thumb.png.6ea6a6b4380225a6e8fd8d8de3ac68ef.png

Initial thought process would suggest this is great; settled squad, continuity, familiarity with system etc etc.

Somebody asked the bloke behind the above graphic (Ben Mayhew of @experimental361, who is brilliant) if there was any correlation between having no 'squad churn' (retaining as much of your minutes as possible, and having a settled squad) and promotion.

This was the answer:

1146515208_Screenshot2020-08-24at18_27_09.thumb.png.0be5b0f370439c90f534ec3b21ff563d.png

There may be a slight correlation, but last year in the Championship, League 1, and League, 2 of the promoted teams from each league (out of 3 for C'ship and L1, and 4 for L2) were in the top 6 for lost minutes, implying high squad churn/turnover.

Crewe were 5th for most retained minutes, but Plymouth, Swindon, and Northampton had the 3rd, 4th, and 7th MOST LOST minutes, respectively. They had massive turnovers of starting 11. There simply isn't a correlation evident between settled squads and promotion winners. 

The most settled teams last year, lacking churn? Salford (11th), Mansfield (21st), Orient (17th), Crawley (13th), Crewe (2nd).

Just an interesting thing to think about, in my view. Just trying to provoke discussion. I'm not suggesting we're bad. Just a very clear narrative has emerged amongst Vale fans that we're set for the playoffs, and whilst I think there's a very decent chance of that, I'm not quite as confident at present.

That obviously makes me a big moaner, ultra-negative, and not a real fan.

Would it be possible for someone to explain what this post is about  ? 🙂  

Archived