onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

17 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Underwhelming to say the least...

Good. It will give you and others a better feeling when he actually does alright for us, as he has done with other League Two sides in his career and especially the last couple of years.

If we signed Maynard everyone would be expecting 20+ goals from him and automatic promotion, and more often than not you end up disappointed.

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

According to social media Maynard will be on a 15K a goal bonus for Mansfield. Surely that can't be true? If it is that's ridiculous and no wonder it threw a spanner in the works in regards to us getting him.

Not a chance that he can be on 15k a goal , how would that work when there has just been a wage cap for all league 2 clubs ! 

I can't believe some of the negativity on here. Robinson is a great solid signing whose record suggests he will score 15-20 goals in a season.

For all of those underwhelmed by the signing of Maynard this is exactly why NO-ONE outside the football club management team should know who targets are, who we are negotiating with until they have signed on the dotted line and pictured with the shirt. I know Maynard talks where published in the paper with a quote from JA on Saturday but they had no choice to address after all of the fierce speculation on social mediaI.I doubt without knowledge of the Maynard talks most on here would be so negative about signing proven L2 goalscorer in Robinson. 

I hope the club review this for the next transfer window and learn the lesson. There have been far too many people in the "know" which led to the situation.

As for Maynard I'm sure we have had many other targets who have been hawked around clubs to generate interest and drive up wage demands. This is how the football world works..

With Robinson we now have 3 strikers capable of scoring 50 goals between them with unproven Rodney who looks very promising.With Amoo and Burgess getting close to double figures and another midfielder (Wozza,Manny,Conlon) chipping in we will have enough goals to match our strong organisation and tight defence.

L1 here we come!

17 minutes ago, MBE said:

I can't believe some of the negativity on here. Robinson is a great solid signing whose record suggests he will score 15-20 goals in a season.

Robinson has never scored 15-20 goals in a league season in any capacity, at any level, ever. His record is 13, which occurred in 2008.

18 minutes ago, MBE said:

With Robinson we now have 3 strikers capable of scoring 50 goals between them with unproven Rodney who looks very promising.

Our 4 strikers scored 24 EFL goals combined last season. 32 if we include Rodney's eight in the National League.

20 minutes ago, MBE said:

With Amoo and Burgess getting close to double figures

Amoo and Burgess scored 7 league goals combined last season.

I'm genuinely not offering an opinion here. I have no take on the Robinson signing.

1 hour ago, robf said:

Switching subjects a bit (perhaps a good idea to calm things down) does it appear that Visser is favourite for the reserve goalie position?

Judging by Askey's comments in the Sentinel it seems Visser may be favourite because he would be happy to wait in the wings.

Askey said: "We have had a look at one or two and I have spoken to a few. With Scott doing well over the last couple of years then it puts one or two keepers off coming because they know they may have to sit on the bench for a while, probably waiting for him to get injured. A lot are not prepared to do that, they want to play, which is understandable. So, it narrows down who you can take. We have our eye on one or two but Dino has come in and done everything you would expect of him so he is still very much in the forefront."

Visser does appear to be one of those goalies (in the higher leagues the likes of van der Gouw or Pegguy Arphexad) who is happy to be part of a squad without necessarily being first-choice. Visser's made 100 appearances in ten years with 69 of those coming in a three year period so he seems pretty patient to get his chance.

I suppose if there isn't that long-term successor out there then get a (hopefully) reliable stopgap and look again for a young prospect in another transfer window.

It's difficult to judge Visser's career as I've no idea about the quality of league football in South Africa. It's possible they may be looking for someone young enough to class as under 21. I'd imagine Robinson is cheaper than Maynard so that might give Askey some flexibility with an extra signing. 

I don't believe you can class any loan signing as under 21. So any loan signings now look unlikely. As bigger clubs are going to struggle to get young players out on loan it's possible that clubs may be prepared to release under contract players for permanent deals. It would shock me to see one or two young players following the Alex Hurst route into the club over the next couple of weeks.

27 minutes ago, MBE said:

For all of those underwhelmed by the signing of Maynard this is exactly why NO-ONE outside the football club management team should know who targets are, who we are negotiating with until they have signed on the dotted line and pictured with the shirt. I know Maynard talks where published in the paper with a quote from JA on Saturday but they had no choice to address after all of the fierce speculation on social mediaI.I doubt without knowledge of the Maynard talks most on here would be so negative about signing proven L2 goalscorer in Robinson. 

I hope the club review this for the next transfer window and learn the lesson. There have been far too many people in the "know" which led to the situation.

Fully agree. Far too many leaks over this striker. UV hinted about Maynard 2 months ago. Alan Nixon mentioned Hope. There is another name which apparently we were after if Maynard fell through (no idea what happened there). Also a winger who we failed to sign.

I'm not even close to ITK; I know literally no one in the club and simply peruse social media. Some people on Twitter were predicting things accurately weeks in advance. 

You're also correct in this farcical Maynard chase, which has wasted our summer, has impacted fans' perception of Robinson signing.

The source needs to be found pronto.

Two things I love about this signing.

1. All the talk was about Maynard. Monday morning, totally under the radar, in comes Theo.

2. We now have three 'proven strikers at this level', along with another who, on first impressions, will soon become one.

Brilliant.

Interestingly we have retained the most 'minutes played' of any League 2 side; 89.1% of our 'minutes' from 19/20 are still at the club  (46 games x 11 players x 90 minutes, so 40,576 of our 45,540 minutes from last season are still at the club, roughly):

image.thumb.png.6ea6a6b4380225a6e8fd8d8de3ac68ef.png

Initial thought process would suggest this is great; settled squad, continuity, familiarity with system etc etc.

Somebody asked the bloke behind the above graphic (Ben Mayhew of @experimental361, who is brilliant) if there was any correlation between having no 'squad churn' (retaining as much of your minutes as possible, and having a settled squad) and promotion.

This was the answer:

1146515208_Screenshot2020-08-24at18_27_09.thumb.png.0be5b0f370439c90f534ec3b21ff563d.png

There may be a slight correlation, but last year in the Championship, League 1, and League, 2 of the promoted teams from each league (out of 3 for C'ship and L1, and 4 for L2) were in the top 6 for lost minutes, implying high squad churn/turnover.

Crewe were 5th for most retained minutes, but Plymouth, Swindon, and Northampton had the 3rd, 4th, and 7th MOST LOST minutes, respectively. They had massive turnovers of starting 11. There simply isn't a correlation evident between settled squads and promotion winners. 

The most settled teams last year, lacking churn? Salford (11th), Mansfield (21st), Orient (17th), Crawley (13th), Crewe (2nd).

Just an interesting thing to think about, in my view. Just trying to provoke discussion. I'm not suggesting we're bad. Just a very clear narrative has emerged amongst Vale fans that we're set for the playoffs, and whilst I think there's a very decent chance of that, I'm not quite as confident at present.

That obviously makes me a big moaner, ultra-negative, and not a real fan.

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Interestingly we have retained the most 'minutes played' of any League 2 side; 89.1% of our 'minutes' from 19/20 are still at the club  (46 games x 11 players x 90 minutes, so 40,576 of our 45,540 minutes from last season are still at the club, roughly):

image.thumb.png.6ea6a6b4380225a6e8fd8d8de3ac68ef.png

Initial thought process would suggest this is great; settled squad, continuity, familiarity with system etc etc.

Somebody asked the bloke behind the above graphic (Ben Mayhew of @experimental361, who is brilliant) if there was any correlation between having no 'squad churn' (retaining as much of your minutes as possible, and having a settled squad) and promotion.

This was the answer:

1146515208_Screenshot2020-08-24at18_27_09.thumb.png.0be5b0f370439c90f534ec3b21ff563d.png

There may be a slight correlation, but last year in the Championship, League 1, and League, 2 of the promoted teams from each league (out of 3 for C'ship and L1, and 4 for L2) were in the top 6 for lost minutes, implying high squad churn/turnover.

Crewe were 5th for most retained minutes, but Plymouth, Swindon, and Northampton had the 3rd, 4th, and 7th MOST LOST minutes, respectively. They had massive turnovers of starting 11. There simply isn't a correlation evident between settled squads and promotion winners. 

The most settled teams last year, lacking churn? Salford (11th), Mansfield (21st), Orient (17th), Crawley (13th), Crewe (2nd).

Just an interesting thing to think about, in my view. Just trying to provoke discussion. I'm not suggesting we're bad. Just a very clear narrative has emerged amongst Vale fans that we're set for the playoffs, and whilst I think there's a very decent chance of that, I'm not quite as confident at present.

That obviously makes me a big moaner, ultra-negative, and not a real fan.

How much churn was there at Liverpool?

27 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Robinson has never scored 15-20 goals in a league season in any capacity, at any level, ever. His record is 13, which occurred in 2008.

Our 4 strikers scored 24 EFL goals combined last season. 32 if we include Rodney's eight in the National League.

Amoo and Burgess scored 7 league goals combined last season.

I'm genuinely not offering an opinion here. I have no take on the Robinson signing.

We had four strikers last season - the two who left contributed 6 league goals. Robinson got 11 and Rodney got 8 in the league below. 

Archived