onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

4 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

Watch the league 2 playoffs when he featured. The chances he missed. I remember saying to my wife at the time..”thank god he does not play for Vale anymore” after being sent clean through and somehow managing to blaze it over. 

Mansfield fans have also said Maynard missed a shed load of chances,it happens

Good luck to Theo. I'm choosing to not have an opinion on the signing (or not share it on here, anyways).

However, I do find the aggression towards people who aren't 100% positive about this a bit weird.

They've got every right to be 'whelmed' by this signing as you have to be excited.

You don't have to be an eternal optimist/incessantly positive if your opinion is the opposite.

1 hour ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:
I never like the idea of goal bonuses. Makes players greedy. 

Getting paid extra for what they are alresdy paid to do.

Bonuses are at every level of professional football. It means that clubs don’t have a ridiculous starting wage bill and then it’s up to the players to earn the rest and I suppose the logic behind them is to provide an incentive to keep them hungry throughout their stay. Clean sheets, goals, number of appearances, position in the league, cup runs, promotions are all part of any players bonus package. 

Bonuses are at every level of professional football. It means that clubs don’t have a ridiculous starting wage bill and then it’s up to the players to earn the rest and I suppose the logic behind them is to provide an incentive to keep them hungry throughout their stay. Clean sheets, goals, number of appearances, position in the league, cup runs, promotions are all part of any players bonus package. 

Doesn't mean I have to agree with the idea does it ?

Switching subjects a bit (perhaps a good idea to calm things down) does it appear that Visser is favourite for the reserve goalie position?

Judging by Askey's comments in the Sentinel it seems Visser may be favourite because he would be happy to wait in the wings.

Askey said: "We have had a look at one or two and I have spoken to a few. With Scott doing well over the last couple of years then it puts one or two keepers off coming because they know they may have to sit on the bench for a while, probably waiting for him to get injured. A lot are not prepared to do that, they want to play, which is understandable. So, it narrows down who you can take. We have our eye on one or two but Dino has come in and done everything you would expect of him so he is still very much in the forefront."

Visser does appear to be one of those goalies (in the higher leagues the likes of van der Gouw or Pegguy Arphexad) who is happy to be part of a squad without necessarily being first-choice. Visser's made 100 appearances in ten years with 69 of those coming in a three year period so he seems pretty patient to get his chance.

I suppose if there isn't that long-term successor out there then get a (hopefully) reliable stopgap and look again for a young prospect in another transfer window.

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Not sure why we didn't just give Maddison a one year contract? He looked alright when he did play, and seemed a decent chap. Unless he wanted to go because he knew he would continue to very much play second fiddle to Brown.

Have said this a couple of times Tyler. Cheap as chips, the covid factor etc. No problems with signing Visser but is he really the heir apparent to Brown? I'd say that's an emphatic no. 

Maddison I don't feel walked of his own accord, as at the moment he is without a club 

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Not sure why we didn't just give Maddison a one year contract? He looked alright when he did play, and seemed a decent chap. Unless he wanted to go because he knew he would continue to very much play second fiddle to Brown.

I would have been happy to keep Madison, but like you say he probably wanted first team football.

Thats not to say I wouldn’t be happy with Visser from what I’ve seen of him.

I just thought giving Maddison a new deal made sense. He's at a good age and would have given Askey one less thing to look for. Can only think Askey wasn't that impressed with him in training, but he never looked a liability or anything close on the odd occasion he played for us.

32 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Doesn't mean I have to agree with the idea does it ?

Up to you, but they're part and parcel of football and I suppose are similar to what normal companies may offer in the way of incentives to their employees for achieving certain targets in their job.

On the subject of keepers if Visser had impressed in training and the friendly then surely we'd have snapped him up, as it stands we're leaving it a bit late again. Hopefully Brown stays injury free.

For those that have jumped on the "he was rubbish last time he played for us" bandwagon.

Robinson was only signed by us on 25th January 2016, when he was released from his Motherwell contract. He fell out of favour at Motherwell due to a change of manager, so hadn't played much before us - and also hadn't had a pre-season either as he only joined them on 28th August 2015. He probably wasn't even fully fit.

In early February (a few weeks after Robinson joined), the lunatic Smurthwaite had announced our playing budget would be reduced by £800,000 the next season, which Rob Page described as being "unwelcome".

Ben Purkiss also admitted Smuthwaite's comment had a "destabilising effect on the squad". 

In Robinson's time with us in L1, he made 14 appearances, scoring 2 goals - which was made up of 8 starts and 6 sub appearances. Hardly "abysmal" given all the off the field distractions. 

His overall record in L2 = 87 appearances, 31 goals + 11 assists. Made up of 66 starts and 21 sub appearances (source: Transfermrkt). A very solid record!

I guess my point is that last time he was here, we weren't a football club, we were a circus. The manager knew he was on his way out, there was unrest in the dressing room (both all caused by Smurthwaite) add on to that he didn't have a pre-season and wasn't fully fit.

He's in a real football club now, ran by incredible owners, with a positive atmosphere in the squad and on the terraces. What happened before is utterly irrelevant.

Archived