Subs:

Visser?

Brisley

Mills

Whitehead

Oyeleke

Robinson/Browne

Pope/Robinson

Looks a damn good side and bench to me. If only we could get Mitch back for that left-back spot. 

And Taylor to put some goals into our midfield.

Advert

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I don't think many people would be against Cullen being our main man up front. The problem is his injury record doesn't suggest he is capable of playing 40+ games a season. Maybe Robinson will start and Cullen will be benched to begin with. They have some similar traits so there should be a healthy competition between them for that starting role up top. I see Pope now as very much a bench player, an excellent option to bring off the bench if you're either chasing a goal or you're in the lead and want someone who can hold the ball up and win some free-kicks to eat up time.

I was thinking along similar lines. Pope is an awesome option to bring off the bench or to start the odd game if the opposition are dodgy in the air. 

I think the competition is really on in the remaining friendlies to see who starts this season. I hope that competition will drive them all on. 

However, I do think that a forward four of Cullen, Pope, Robinson and Rodney already looks stronger and more prolific than Cullen, Pope, Bennett and Archer and we always have the loan market to fall back on if there are any form/fitness issues.

7 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

So with this signing and say Visser is that as stated business concluded or is there a chance of sorting out a left back cause it is all well and good having four strikers for one spot but not even having a left back in the squad is a bit of a mistake perhaps.

Maybe we'll get a left back in on loan rather than a permanent signing?

2 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

And Taylor to put some goals into our midfield.

He would be welcome back but I'm happy with that midfield as it is. Whitehead and a fit Oyeleke are two strong players to have on the bench! We did just fine without Taylor and his goals from January onwards. Now that Conlon has been told to get forward more I think he's more than capable of scoring once every 5 games. Burgess too has a goal in him. I expect more from Amoo and Worrall. Amoo in particular has the ability to get near to double figures in a good side.

13 minutes ago, robf said:

Here we go with the bringing up of a player's record at a previous club. 

To me it bears no relevance.  Even his spell at Vale a few years ago was when he was out of match practice and form. 

Let's look at some more examples...

One player joined us with a record of one goal in 17 games for his previous club. That was Leon Constantine, who went on to get 38 in 85 for us. Another player scored ten in his previous season and that was Martin Henderson, undoubtedly one of the worst forwards of modern time for Vale.

Did those records for other clubs have any bearing on their Vale careers? It's not what a player did for another club a year or five years ago, it's what he can offer now in a Vale shirt that counts.

The circumstances and surroundings for Robinson are completely different from those at his other clubs and indeed when he was at Vale before. He has already remarked on the positive atmosphere at the club. He will have a couple of dynamic wide players supplying him with chances and he'll have to up his game to compete with the other three forwards for a place in the team.

Finally, if we want a player to have the confidence to go out there and perform, can we give him an opportunity to show us how he performs in a Vale shirt for a few games this season rather than passing judgement before he's even played a game in his second spell?

Don't you come on here with your rational and common sense !! hes crap apparently and shouldn't be seen in a Vale shirt according to Doha , santa , tjh valiant etc

59 minutes ago, Doha said:

I hope so. Perhaps I'm underwhelmed because I've just been given the keys to a Vauxhall Astra I used to own when alternatively that Jim Bowen bastrd was dangling a new speedboat at me. 

A Vauxhall Astra with a souped up engine is a bloody sight more useful in Stoke on Trent than a speedboat!

13 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Manager's decision.  Tom Pope was on our bench 17 times and Cullen 11 times.

True, which is why I was excited for Maynard. I am coming around to this though. I’d probably go as far as to say, had we not know of Maynard possibility, I’d be pleased. 
I will say that our squad looks far stronger than it has been since league 1. We don’t have the Evans, Lloyds, archer and the like making up the numbers. Every player in the squad could start and I’d be quite happy with it.

8 minutes ago, valeblue said:

Don't you come on here with your rational and common sense !! hes crap apparently and shouldn't be seen in a Vale shirt according to Doha , santa , tjh valiant etc

Are you capable of posting anything that isn't a misrepresentative strawman?

14 minutes ago, valeblue said:

He was crap last time seen in a vale shirt. Crap is being quite kind actually. 

16 minutes ago, TylerB said:

He would be welcome back but I'm happy with that midfield as it is. Whitehead and a fit Oyeleke are two strong players to have on the bench! We did just fine without Taylor and his goals from January onwards. Now that Conlon has been told to get forward more I think he's more than capable of scoring once every 5 games. Burgess too has a goal in him. I expect more from Amoo and Worrall. Amoo in particular has the ability to get near to double figures in a good side.

Agreed

We got a better return without Taylor in the team.

Archived