Subs:

Visser?

Brisley

Mills

Whitehead

Oyeleke

Robinson/Browne

Pope/Robinson

Looks a damn good side and bench to me. If only we could get Mitch back for that left-back spot. 

27 minutes ago, Moz said:

Maynard would have been great, but he's not Messi. He got 14 in 33 last season at Mansfield. Robinson got 11 in 28. Not a lot in it in terms of return, but I suspect Maynard was a lot more expensive.

Robinson's 11 in 28 was actually 11 in 19 starts.  He didn't score in any sub appearances and for none of the sub appearances was he on the field for more than 20 minutes.  I wouldn't mind better his minutes per goal was actually better than Maynard's but I can't be bothered to work it out!

Here we go with the bringing up of a player's record at a previous club. 

To me it bears no relevance.  Even his spell at Vale a few years ago was when he was out of match practice and form. 

Let's look at some more examples...

One player joined us with a record of one goal in 17 games for his previous club. That was Leon Constantine, who went on to get 38 in 85 for us. Another player scored ten in his previous season and that was Martin Henderson, undoubtedly one of the worst forwards of modern time for Vale.

Did those records for other clubs have any bearing on their Vale careers? It's not what a player did for another club a year or five years ago, it's what he can offer now in a Vale shirt that counts.

The circumstances and surroundings for Robinson are completely different from those at his other clubs and indeed when he was at Vale before. He has already remarked on the positive atmosphere at the club. He will have a couple of dynamic wide players supplying him with chances and he'll have to up his game to compete with the other three forwards for a place in the team.

Finally, if we want a player to have the confidence to go out there and perform, can we give him an opportunity to show us how he performs in a Vale shirt for a few games this season rather than passing judgement before he's even played a game in his second spell?

2 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Joyce

Conlon

Burgess

Worrall

Amoo

Cullen

Subs:

Visser?

Brisley

Mills

Whitehead

Oyeleke

Robinson/Browne

Pope/Robinson

Looks a damn good side and bench to me. If only we could get Mitch back for that left-back spot. 

Reading this thread is making me bipolar. I look at the above and think, oh great...we missed out on a definite starter to someone not even guaranteed a place in the bench (and that’s meant to be from someone who thinks it’s a great signing). To the below when I think, ooh that looks tasty. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Robinson's 11 in 28 was actually 11 in 19 starts.  He didn't score in any sub appearances and for none of the sub appearances was he on the field for more than 20 minutes.  I wouldn't mind better his minutes per goal was actually better than Maynard's but I can't be bothered to work it out!

But then I’m all...if he was scoring so frequently, why did they put him on the bench for a third of his games? 

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Maynard = 0.51

Robinson = 0.57

in the top 20 goal scorers last year ONLY Doyle has a better goals per 90 min ratio

another way of putting it as i was once told you can’t score 0.5 of a goal (!!) is

Maynard scored once every 176 mins

Robinson scored once every 157 mins

Just now, robf said:

Here we go with the bringing up of a player's record at a previous club. 

To me it bears no relevance.  Even his spell at Vale a few years ago was when he was out of match practice and form. 

Let's look at some more examples...

One player joined us with a record of one goal in 17 games for his previous club. That was Leon Constantine, who went on to get 38 in 85 for us. Another player scored ten in his previous season and that was Martin Henderson, undoubtedly one of the worst forwards of modern time for Vale.

Did those records for other clubs have any bearing on their Vale careers? It's not what a player does for another club, it's what he can offer in a Vale shirt that counts.

The circumstances and surroundings for Robinson are completely different from those at his other clubs and indeed when he was at Vale before. He has already remarked on the positive atmosphere at the club. He will have a couple of dynamic wide players supplying him with chances and he'll have to up his game to compete with the other three forwards for a place in the team.

Finally, if we want a player to have the confidence to go out there and perform, can we give him an opportunity to show his how he performs in a Vale shirt for a few games this season rather than passing judgement before he's even played a game in his second spell?

Well said, Rob.

Tom Pope had scored 4 in 53 when he first joined us.  Akpo Sodje had scored 9 in 43 at Darlington and we were told he was a useless donkey.  Just because Robinson isn't Maynard doesn't mean he isn't a very good signing.

1 minute ago, Andyregs said:

Reading this thread is making me bipolar. I look at the above and think, oh great...we missed out on a definite starter to someone not even guaranteed a place in the bench (and that’s meant to be from someone who thinks it’s a great signing). To the below when I think, ooh that looks tasty. 

But then I’m all...if he was scoring so frequently, why did they put him on the bench for a third of his games? 

I don't think many people would be against Cullen being our main man up front. The problem is his injury record doesn't suggest he is capable of playing 40+ games a season. Maybe Robinson will start and Cullen will be benched to begin with. They have some similar traits so there should be a healthy competition between them for that starting role up top. I see Pope now as very much a bench player, an excellent option to bring off the bench if you're either chasing a goal or you're in the lead and want someone who can hold the ball up and win some free-kicks to eat up time.

3 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

So with this signing and say Visser is that as stated business concluded or is there a chance of sorting out a left back cause it is all well and good having four strikers for one spot but not even having a left back in the squad is a bit of a mistake perhaps.

Crooks is a left-back. Though whether he's good enough for a play-off chasing side is very much open to debate.

2 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Manager's decision.  Tom Pope was on our bench 17 times and Cullen 11 times.

Archived