onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

If Maynard is signing I think we'll know on Monday. I don't recall anything ever being announced on a Saturday in regards to signings.

As for Taylor, his goals were a big thing for us but as someone has already stated, we did just as well without him and the likes of Burgess and especially Conlon really stepped up at the back end of last season. Those two plus Joyce, Whitehead and Oyeleke means that central midfield is arguably our strongest position. If Oyeleke can get himself fit and back to his best, and Whitehead hits the ground running, then Askey is going to have a real headache to select three from five. But one of those headaches you don't mind having.

Advert

8 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
55 minutes ago, Pennywise said:
Kai Havertz to Chelsea., Ben Chilwell to Chelsea, Jadon Sancho to Manchester United, Gabriel Magalhaes to Arsenal and Thiago Alcantara to Liverpool...
I rest my case. Have patience. Things take time.

Clarke to move up at Leicester?

I don't think he's PL class is he? he's better than L2 level but there's a huge gap between the lower leagues and the PL now.

What we do need to do this season is kill games off by being more ruthless and dare I suggest gamesmanship away from home ?

Apart from Colchester at home the majority of wins with the odd exception were by the odd goal. Hence we lost a lot of leads where we should of already won the game. 

If you go back as far as Salford, Bennett was clean through to make it 2-0 . Umpteen other games we were biting our fingernails when we should of been out of sight. 

A touch more clinical and maybe better game management at the back and we are going to be a good side hopefully

57 minutes ago, TylerB said:

If Maynard is signing I think we'll know on Monday. I don't recall anything ever being announced on a Saturday in regards to signings.

As for Taylor, his goals were a big thing for us but as someone has already stated, we did just as well without him and the likes of Burgess and especially Conlon really stepped up at the back end of last season. Those two plus Joyce, Whitehead and Oyeleke means that central midfield is arguably our strongest position. If Oyeleke can get himself fit and back to his best, and Whitehead hits the ground running, then Askey is going to have a real headache to select three from five. But one of those headaches you don't mind having.

The biggest problem we had with goals was only 8 in the league from the wide players in the front 3. Teams get promoted without a 20 goal striker and with a front 3. Teams that do generally get 14 to 18 from the two wide players.

I agree about the midfield being a big area of strength.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

The biggest problem we had with goals was only 8 in the league from the wide players in the front 3. Teams get promoted without a 20 goal striker and with a front 3. Teams that do generally get 14 to 18 from the two wide players.

I agree about the midfield being a big area of strength.

If Cullen could stay fit all season I believe he could get close to 20. But that's a big if! We're definitely a striker light but fortunately for us Askey knows this too, and will be rectified before the season starts whether it's Maynard or someone else. I don't think we will be a team that scores for fun but I don't think we will need to be, as I think we will go on to have one of the better defensive records in the league.

I genuinely believe if we could somehow add Maynard and Clarke to the squad we would be play-off certainties, without actually being certain as that just adds unnecessary pressure.

4 hours ago, Pennywise said:

Kai Havertz to Chelsea., Ben Chilwell to Chelsea, Jadon Sancho to Manchester United, Gabriel Magalhaes to Arsenal and Thiago Alcantara to Liverpool...

I rest my case. Have patience. Things take time.

I would rather have someone who is desperate to sign for us than someone who thinks he might do us a favour by doing so, Mart.  If he signs, fine, but I've not been impressed with his approach to this whole affair.

Have you got something against the guy or do you think like me he's after one last decent deal?

I would rather have someone who is desperate to sign for us than someone who thinks he might do us a favour by doing so, Mart.  If he signs, fine, but I've not been impressed with his approach to this whole affair.

The ball is in Maynards court and  obviously he will not rush to sign any old contract, his agent if he's worth his salt will be testing the water, it would appear that Askey has made a pitch, it remains to be seen if it suits Maynard, for all we know he could have a lucrative offer from abroad, he might have an offer from a Lge 1 outfit ,who knows ? We have made an offer, if it doesn't suit then we move on, that's the game, if he had signed straight away I would be suspicious that we were paying over the odds, in Askey and Carol I trust.

If 2 offers come in for a player then why wouldn’t he be taking the time to consider both before making a decision? It’s only what we would do if we were changing jobs and had more than one option. I don’t blame him one bit for taking the time to decide what to do. 

2 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Have you got something against the guy or do you think like me he's after one last decent deal?

I've got nothing against him, Cav.  I just think he's stringing clubs along.  Seems to keep changing his mind about when he is going to make a decision.

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I've got nothing against him, Cav.  I just think he's stringing clubs along.  Seems to keep changing his mind about when he is going to make a decision.

Isn’t that what all players do? He’s well within his right to do what he pleases. If Askey keeps on giving him time then he’s going to see which club keeps coming back offering him more just like Mansfield have done. Askey obviously wants him or he would’ve called it off last week. I think he’s going to stay at Mansfield now anyway so Askey will have to start looking at another striker. And what we have offered Nicky, you’d think we will get a very good player in for the money. 

Archived