onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Nicky Maynard would be good for a year. Although part of me feels he is yesterday’s man and if he wants big money he should be turned down. He was underwhelming at Mansfield. 

I feel we are a much stronger team these days who will be pushing for the automatic places without even any reinforcements. The whole vibe around the club is so well organised and that is worth more than mere signings. 

I like the look of Rodney and feel if he has to hit the ground running that will help him more than sitting on the bench watching Maynard, Pope and Cullen for a year. I do wonder if he gets pushed too far down the pecking order, his motivation may go. 

Maynard seems like a nice bonus than a necessity. 

Advert

Nicky Maynard would be good for a year. Although part of me feels he is yesterday’s man and if he wants big money he should be turned down. He was underwhelming at Mansfield. 

I feel we are a much stronger team these days who will be pushing for the automatic places without even any reinforcements. The whole vibe around the club is so well organised and that is worth more than mere signings. 

I like the look of Rodney and feel if he has to hit the ground running that will help him more than sitting on the bench watching Maynard, Pope and Cullen for a year. I do wonder if he gets pushed too far down the pecking order, his motivation may go. 
Underwhelming? He had 14 bearing in mind the season was cancelled with 9 games to go he probably would have gotten over 20. He had 21 with Bury. He still has it and at League Two can easily with our attacking style.

Strange to say he was underwhelming at Mansfield. Wish we could have an underwhelming player that scores that many.

13 hours ago, valefan16 said:

It’s exciting times and maybe we just have to let the past go and enjoy this ride, tough as it may be.

Ground looks great, even little things like the new boards on the shop with iconic images and wording, like the Earle image etc.

18 months ago we thought we were done and likely to go bust (god imagine what had happened with Smurf during Covid) but we got what we wanted and it feels like we are really on the start of a great journey.

Maynard doesn’t sign then im confident we will go and get someone capable. We are not scraping the barrel these days.

and younger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the Maynard deal still on or off then? Yesterday’s events regarding Maynard were very strange. Not sure that Tideswell etc had any need to comment on it.

If we sign Maynard, or someone of his ilk, I think we go from play off contenders to top 3 contenders. 

underwhelming,strange that mansfield fans would be desperate to keep such a player really,over last 2 or 3 seasons i think he has averaged  1 in 2,now that would do for me... having said that IF he is arsing us about then move on...... i would take Pitman but i think he will stay down south

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I’m struggling to see what part of 35 goals in two seasons is underwhelming? I genuinely believe Maynard could be the difference between mid-table and the play-offs. You’ve got to take into account that Cullen is prone to the odd injury and Pope isn’t the player he was a few years ago. Rodney is raw and still young, he will take time, I’d imagine. 

Maynard seems like a necessity than a nice bonus, for me. He’s the proven goalscorer every football club cries out for. 

5 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I’m struggling to see what part of 35 goals in two seasons is underwhelming? I genuinely believe Maynard could be the difference between mid-table and the play-offs. You’ve got to take into account that Cullen is prone to the odd injury and Pope isn’t the player he was a few years ago. Rodney is raw and still young, he will take time, I’d imagine. 

Maynard seems like a necessity than a nice bonus, for me. He’s the proven goalscorer every football club cries out for. 

Underwhelming was probably the wrong word for TJH to use. I would be very happy if Maynard signed. There is a big caveat with a player he always relied on movement and a decent turn of pace that he is now in the danger age of his legs going as he is not far off 34. The Maynard of the last 2 seasons would improve our team. Askey needs to be sure that the Maynard of 2020/21 is going to improve the team. As such he is a gamble and quite an expensive one. As with all signings he will get judged on what he does not what he has done. There is no doubt he is in the decline part of his career, as he wouldn't have been talking to a league 2 club at his peak. Its certainly a legitimate argument to question how far he has declined over the last couple of seasons and how far he will during the next 12 months.

Maynard would be perfect for this season. The one thing we missed last year was a goal scorer. Cullen can do the job but I don’t expect him to be fit for the whole season. If Maynard can get around 20 we will be in the play offs. 

Id still like to see a lb sign possibly just as back up. A back up keeper. Hopefully a younger player who we can develop rather than someone who has been round the blocks as a number 2. 

For me personally I’m not 100% sold on the midfield yet. Looks strong on paper however manny will more than likely be injured for large parts of the season and we lost our best Cm in Taylor. Wouldn’t mind seeing someone of that ilk joining, with a bit of creativity. Conlon could fit that but has always been very inconsistent. 

Maynard would be perfect for this season. The one thing we missed last year was a goal scorer. Cullen can do the job but I don’t expect him to be fit for the whole season. If Maynard can get around 20 we will be in the play offs. 

Id still like to see a lb sign possibly just as back up. A back up keeper. Hopefully a younger player who we can develop rather than someone who has been round the blocks as a number 2. 
For me personally I’m not 100% sold on the midfield yet. Looks strong on paper however manny will more than likely be injured for large parts of the season and we lost our best Cm in Taylor. Wouldn’t mind seeing someone of that ilk joining, with a bit of creativity. Conlon could fit that but has always been very inconsistent. 
I'd dare say maybard added to last season would have meant a possible automatic

I really hope we sign Maynard. He's a player who could make the difference. 

JA confirmed he's spoken to him which in itself was Unthinkable 15 months ago.

If we don't get him we move on. 

We have gone from Danny Elliott from some far flung league in America to actually conversing with Nicky Maynard.

It's a funny old game. 

Archived