onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

8 minutes ago, JRC said:

No signing is a guaranteed success. My guess would be he has at least one more season at this level but players in their mid 30s just lose it at some point. 

True that would be my only slight worry although I'm a big believer in if you have that knack as a goalscorer you always have it. 

Lee Hughes for example was just a natural at it. 

About 3 or 4 years after he'd left Vale, I went to my local social club on a Monday night. The football club who play there happened to be playing Telford in a friendly game who Lee Hughes was with as a coach. To cut a long story short he brought himself on for the 2nd half probably to give the younger lads in the team some help and guess what, he scored. Admittedly this was against West Midlands premier standard opposition but he must have been 40 by this point and still looked a class act in and around the area. 

I think this one is a big gamble. Maynard has been very susceptible to injuries during his career bar the past few seasons -  probably because he has lost a yard of pace. A goalscorer, I agree. Fantastic movement and a good finisher which is why he has scored goals at this level, nevertheless a gamble for player fast approaching 34. Its not like we have a group of young fit spring chickens for him to complement. Cullen is injury prone and unable to play 2 games per week, Pope banned for the 1st month and unable to play 90 minutes per match. 

Hope the medical is a stringent one or young Rodney is going to have a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.

A big roll of the dice.

45 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Will there be a place for Trickett-Smith, this season?

Yes because he's impressed the people that matter. Come back fit and strong. Needs to take any chances if they come along. No doubt he has some ability it's all about the will to achieve.

4 minutes ago, JRC said:

Yes because he's impressed the people that matter. Come back fit and strong.

I hope he gets a chance. I heard good things about him by people who played with him before he arrived here. Unfortunately he has the label of being a smurthwaite signing.

Lol imagine being a generic League 2 centre half and having marked the top scorer for the last two seasons, you glance over at the bench and you see warming up:

1. Port Vale's record goalscorer

2. League 2 promotion winner with one of the best mins/goal ratio in the division

3. A man who is as tall as he is wide, with a bag of pace.

You'd genuinely go down with cramp. Get the board up gaffer, cba with this.

11 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

I hope he gets a chance. I heard good things about him by people who played with him before he arrived here. Unfortunately he has the label of being a smurthwaite signing.

Askey showed he could be ruthless with Whitfield last preseason. If he wanted DTS out he wouldn't give him game time. He also showed with Rawlinson a good preseason could change his mind - even though he eventually did move on when Notts County came in for him. Agree for some fans the Smurthwaite label is always going to get pinned on him.

17 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

I think if he’s good enough then Askey and Kevan will give him the chance. I’ve spoken to a few and they say he’s not ready at all for league football. We also have a lad on trial next week from Newcastle town so we do scout locally and give the lads trials quite a lot. It’s just that most are not good enough once they have a weeks training against the Pros.

Archived