onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

48 minutes ago, knapperm said:

I believe Nicky Maynard lives either in Audley or Audlem and is married with children, so unless Sunderland are going to make it a good package I can’t see him going there.

He lives in Audlem.

No idea if it is Maynard or not, where's this rumour come from? Imagine there will be loads of competition so can't see it personally.

I think if people are seriously questioning whether a lad who was top scorer in our league in a free-flowing attacking side 2 years ago, and 2nd top scorer in our league last year in a turgid 19th place side (only playing 25), can come in and score goals in 'our system' (like we're employing Bielsa's 3133 high-pressing juego de posicion, and not the most bog standard 433 in football with a bit of a press lobbed in) then they're underselling him.

Maynard is a proper bagsman. No fuss. Give me the cheddar and you're getting 15 goals. Worrall alone can lay on 10 for him. He's the type of player who will take us from the workmanlike 7th-10th outfit we are now, into a side who should be expecting top 6. 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

No idea who the striker is but people saying about our wages surprises me,i think some would be surprised that we can actually compete with decent teams wage wise,how under the current climate i have no idea but for once we can

We certainly couldn't compete when the big spenders had their cheque books out before the salary cap. Now those clubs have spent up we probably can. Would be a gigantic cut for Maynard if estimates of his wage at Bury and Mansfield are remotely accurate. Just doing the maths on our squad we might be able to pay him 3k a week. That's allowing for our higher paid players only counting at the max for the calculations.  Whether the physical budget can stretch that far is possibly debatable. I think signing him would rule out any loan moves for Taylor.

17 minutes ago, JRC said:

We certainly couldn't compete when the big spenders had their cheque books out before the salary cap. Now those clubs have spent up we probably can. Would be a gigantic cut for Maynard if estimates of his wage at Bury and Mansfield are remotely accurate. Just doing the maths on our squad we might be able to pay him 3k a week. That's allowing for our higher paid players only counting at the max for the calculations.  Whether the physical budget can stretch that far is possibly debatable. I think signing him would rule out any loan moves for Taylor.

We could compete before the salary cap during the current climate,we wont pay stupid money but dont doubt it we could if we wanted to and that was before the cap.....

23 minutes ago, robf said:

@JRC yes but he's a free agent so I guess it depends on if any other clubs are interested. 

If say only Vale are interested then his wages options are:

a) Whatever Vale are prepared to offer

b) Nowt

In the real world most of us would take option a) but footballers have agents...

If we only allow ourselves two more over 21 players and one is a reserve keeper likely on a low wage we may have the funds to offer bigger wages. The squad is trimmed and if it means no Jake Taylor so be it... Maynard would add the fire power needed to give us a real shot at top 7 if not top 3.

If we can afford it without our cap with what’s left we should do all we can to sign him... he could be the difference, especially with Cullen potentially injured and Pope banned...

3k a week with bonuses for performance surely would be workable? 20 goal bonus or promotion bonus for instance.

It is literally the golden missing piece from the jigsaw we need someone who will get you 15-20 goals.

26 minutes ago, robf said:

@JRC yes but he's a free agent so I guess it depends on if any other clubs are interested. 

If say only Vale are interested then his wages options are:

a) Whatever Vale are prepared to offer

b) Nowt

I think there is only Bradford left in this league who could come close to his expectations.  Other than that he'd need to move up a league. Some clubs whose spending has been well over income in recent years have owners whose main business has been bady hit and won't put money in. 

13 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

We could compete before the salary cap during the current climate,we wont pay stupid money but dont doubt it we could if we wanted to and that was before the cap.....

We couldn't compete with Salford or Bolton. The salary cap is broadly in line with our budget. The Shanahans are still paying back Smurthwaite and must be budgeting to cover a shortfall this season. The majority of clubs have lowered budgets. We haven't. A small group of clubs still have budgets way over ours and have, if anything, increased them. 

13 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

In the real world most of us would take option a) but footballers have agents...

Maynard will 100% not be without a club next season. Plenty of national league clubs would pay him 3 grand a week or more. IF we are after him he will only come:

1 if we pay an amount he's happy with

2 he wants to play for us

Could you imagine him calling Morecombe in 2 weeks, offering to play for a grand a week and getting told to go away. He's made more than enough from football to not be that bothered if he isn't playing next year. He's in the bracket of being able to retire any time he wants and not work again.

Maynard will 100% not be without a club next season. Plenty of national league clubs would pay him 3 grand a week or more. IF we are after him he will only come:
1 if we pay an amount he's happy with
2 he wants to play for us
Could you imagine him calling Morecombe in 2 weeks, offering to play for a grand a week and getting told to go away. He's made more than enough from football to not be that bothered if he isn't playing next year. He's in the bracket of being able to retire any time he wants and not work again.
Could be a case of him wanting be closer to home and play for Vale at the enx ofnhis career. I don't doubt he'd have an impact.

On 14/08/2020 at 23:12, toyahw said:

Does anyone else think we were a bit hasty ditching Dior? Looked alright to me, did everything asked of him on loan. Were there attitude problems or something?

I have a feeling we were. After the Cambridge game away a few seasons ago, in one of his few league appearances, the Cambridge supporters in the pub picked him out as one of our more promising players. Admittedly we were playing really poorly at that stage but I always thought he had more in him than he was given credit. No doubt he'll be on a special mission to score when we play Barrow this season.

Archived