onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

1 minute ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Seen a few people mention Nicky Maynard.

Could this be the player? What are your thoughts if it was? 

Nicky Maynard would be a great signing, been there, done it and got the T shirt.

Personally, I think Maynard's best days are well behind him. I don't think we'd be getting value for the wages he would demand. If we are going to go for a big name at this level and pay big wages for an experienced striker. Brett Pittman would be my first choice.
21 goals 18/19. 14 league goals last season. Still something in him. With feeding from Amoo et el who knows. I feel he would be a amazing addition.

I don't think Maynard would suit our system. More of a poacher than someone who gets involved in the build up, runs channels, holds it up etc.

He's obviously proven at L2 level but I never think it's as simple as "he's scored x amount of goals for that club so he'll score x amount with us".

Systems make or break strikers.

I don't think Maynard would suit our system. More of a poacher than someone who gets involved in the build up, runs channels, holds it up etc.

He's obviously proven at L2 level but I never think it's as simple as "he's scored x amount of goals for that club so he'll score x amount with us".

Maybe I think John Askey knows better than us. So if it is Maynard or someone else he will find someone to suit our system.

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned

IF its Maynard, and that's a big IF that would be an incredible signing for me.

Speaking to people who have watched him over the years, they say that he is capable of leading the line and his hold up play is better than the typical 'poacher' cliche... A bit like Cullen I would say.

To get out of a division you need a goal scorer

22 in 41 for Bury and 12 in 25 for Mansfield (Who were rubbish last year) indicate he is a 1 in 2 striker...  If you watch his highlight reels the difference is that he takes the half chances. Any opportunity and he is testing the keeper.

If Askey can make a few tweaks to his favoured 433 formation to accommodate he would be a huge signing and a statement of intent.

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned

7 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned emoji23.png

To be fair I think we've all seen Maynard play a lot of times over the years.

8 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned emoji23.png

I agree, but in this case Maynard has been around for ages and was obviously with Crewe at the start of his career. He's certainly one of the better-known players in League 2.

Talking of him being around for ages, he turns 34 in December - didn't realise he was quite that old.

Archived