onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

Listened to Askey on the Radio Stoke Twitter. Very much sounds to me like he's happy with what he has and is sitting hoping a really good player drops into his lap. Be interesting to know how likely a deal for Harvey Bradbury is. As a 4th striker and cover for Pope he may well be a young man who can do a job. Realistically I suspect it will be difficult bringing in a player better than Pope, Cullen or Rodney as there aren't many top forwards left on the market. He might then have a dabble for a player with a bigger reputation out wide, in midfield or possibly at left-back, depending on what is available. I don't think we are weak in any area. I know some aren't keen on Montano at left-back BUT there are very few teams with someone better in that position in this league; so there isn't a glaring area he needs to strengthen. A little gold dust somewhere in the team could just be the missing ingredient. Who knows! 

I wonder if he was coyly referring to ongoing negotiations with a player.

I'd heard talks were at a positive stage regarding the 'exciting' striker that had been mentioned on here. Maybe we're just after chipping a few more percentage points off the weekly wage given the CV19 economic circumstances and the situation at his current club. 

Thanks for the comments immediately above, gents.

Interesting thoughts.

I've thought for some time now that we must be very close to full, an extra striker and a reserve keeper apart.

The loan market might be the way to go but I suppose we could drop on one (unlikely though I think that is) if this financial climate continues to bite.

It is, however, hard to see us signing anyone who will be much better than Pope or Cullen. And Rodney clearly demands an opportunity as well. Often playing only a single central striker, I just can't see us bringing in someone who would immediately become first pick and push those other three lads down the pecking order. A Harvey type makes more sense.

A keeper I think we'll sign, maybe soon enough, but a striker? I'm not so sure, though we do appear to have space in the budget which was good to hear.

39 minutes ago, JRC said:

A little gold dust somewhere in the team could just be the missing ingredient. Who knows! 

100% agree. Just the odd player with a bit of class can make a huge difference at this level. Just one. Could be the last part of the jigsaw that we need.

I'm excited to see how we shape up. On paper the 3 new boys could all play their part in the first XI and Oyeleke will be like a new signing. Bring it on!

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

I'd heard talks were at a positive stage regarding the 'exciting' striker that had been mentioned on here. Maybe we're just after chipping a few more percentage points off the weekly wage given the CV19 economic circumstances and the situation at his current club. 

No real idea as I'm back in quarantine in the Middle East again so don't get the same information from close to the club. He does talk about players he doesn't expect. My reading was he was talking about players out of contract who thought they were getting offers elsewhere that never came through, similar to Mark Marshall a few years ago. Askey had a habit of pulling a rabbit from the hat late in the window at Macclesfield. I'm sure he has spoken to a lot of players. Striker wise they are all pretty much under contract. Omar Bogle, Brett Pitman and Oli Hawkins will probably all end up in league one and are what you would call established strikers out of contract. There are heaps of decent 10s still after contracts and Askey always found a way the play Danny Whitt  so maybe he's looking at that kind of player. Macc fans think Whitehead was a natural replacement for Whittaker so he possibly doesn't want a 10. Maybe Bradford will end up paying off one of their strikers, who knows.

40 minutes ago, Doha said:

Doha me owd fruit are you insinuating that the striker is under contract with another club?

I believe a number of national league teams could be struggling to make ends meets before much longer and like Dover have already would not stand in some players way, even if they are under contract and they could get a contract in say league one or two. They may also have to listen to slightly lesser offers for their better players as well as a result. 

Not saying we'd necessarily pay a fee for a striker but if a team would normally demand 100-150k they might be forced to accept 50-75k?

Archived