onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

On 26/07/2020 at 15:22, valeparklife said:

I decided to check out Transfermarkt.com for strikers out of contract. There aren't many at all that I think would be decent!

I do think we'll sign a "traditional" centre forward this summer - big, strong, can hold the ball up etc. We already have Pope who's 34yo so I'd assume we'd bring in someone younger.

So, looking at the list of "realistic" strikers under 30yo, there would be:

• Devante Cole (24yo) - Rumoured to be going to Swindon and will likely stay in L1 unless someone in L2 can offer a good wage.
  • Tom Nichols (26yo) - Prolific at Exeter but last 3 seasons with Bristol Rovers has yielded only 4 goals in 93 L1 games.
  • Dominic Samuel (26yo) - Released by Blackburn but a rumoured target for Luton/Wycombe so out of our league currently.
  • Frank Nouble (28yo) - Rumoured to be going back to Newport. More of a "wing forward" than a centre forward anyway and I can't see this happening.
  • Jake Jervis (28yo) - 4 in 20 on loan at Salford last season. 2 in 23 the season before with Wimbledon in L1. 6"4, strong and mobile, based in Wolverhampton. Could fit Askey's system?
  • Oli Hawkins (28yo) - 6"5 centre forward released by Portsmouth. Probably out of our wage budget and played a number of games at CB for Portsmouth. I'd love him but doubtful as there would be a ton of competition.
  • Mason Bloomfield (23yo) - 3 in 23 for Crawley last season on loan. Not much League experience and feel he's destined for non-league so unlikely.
  • Rhys Oates (25yo) - Fit's the centre forward profile but poor scoring record (never hit double figures yet in his career). Career seems to be on a downward trajectory.
  • Ibrahim Meite (24yo) - poor record for Crawley (2 goals in 21 games in L2) and subsequently released. Was on loan in the NL at Woking and got 4 in 15. Too similar to Devante Rodney's profile for me.
  • Alex Jakubiak (23yo) - has had 9 clubs on loan before being released this summer. Spent the first half of last season on loan at Gillingham (6 goals in 24), then moved on loan to St Mirren (0 goals in 7). Similar type of player to Cullen (small, nippy) so don't think we'll be interested.
  • Joe Ironside (26yo) - decent first season in the FL (6 goals in 33) for a struggling side. I could see us being interested.
  • Ollie Palmer (28yo) - Someone I'd love to see us sign but Burton are the latest club to be linked with him so unlikely in my opinion.
  • Vadaine Oliver (28yo) - Never prolific at any of his clubs but always seemed one of those "works hard for the team" type strikers managers like. Just won promotion to L1 with Northampton but hasn't yet agreed a deal. Probably unlikely again.

Of those strikers, I'd say there would only be Jervis, Oates and Ironside that we would be interested in and could realistically sign? 

We all know Vale fans love to moan if we sign a striker that hasn't got a history of scoring 50 goals a season, so I think we might have to be creative and try and pull a rabbit out of a hat somewhere? Maybe agreeing to sign a player from another club currently under contract? 

As I've said numerous times before - systems make strikers. Hopefully we can sign someone that suits our system and turn them into a goalscorer, rather than saying "he's scored 20 goals a season with another club, so he'll score 20 with us".

Ironside, Nouble, Oates crossed off isn't leaving us with much!

I see Vadaine Oliver posted a farewell message on Twitter today so he will be available - again, not overly inspiring as he's never impressed me at Crewe or Northampton.

Whoever it is, I'll get behind them, but the suspense is killing me haha!

Just now, valeparklife said:

Ironside, Nouble, Oates crossed off isn't leaving us with much!

I see Vadaine Oliver posted a farewell message on Twitter today so he will be available - again, not overly inspiring as he's never impressed me at Crewe or Northampton.

Whoever it is, I'll get behind them, but the suspense is killing me haha!

Scratch that - Oliver has signed for Gillingham!

2 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

PV1973.....in an attempt to make sense of Frank Sinclairs role don't think any in the first team matchday squad will need to do extra sessions but maybe say Cambell-Gordon/Hurst/Rodney and say Lovett and Bradbury if signed while if say Crookes isn't making the matchday squad then inorder to maintain fitness/sharpness/focus and they will not be training with the youth team but hopefully one or two stand out youth players will be included in any such extra sessions....if the idea is to get fringe U23 players fast tracked with extra coaching and get a few of the best potential youth graduates ready for professional life it kinda makes sense.

It will be the youth players coming through from the U18’s reading between the lines. I’m sure he will also help out in coaching the first team, particularly the defensive side. Might also be talent spotting, as someone mentioned on his twitter he has been to watch Rodney. Overall, a very positive appointment.

On another note, I’m intrigued to know who the potential big name signing is that people ‘in the know’ keep going on about. Sounds like it could just be a load of Chinese whispers. 

Ive spent a bit of time with Devante Cole. He's a really nice guy. Got a lot of contacts in the North West so I'd be surprised to see him move back south but he was keen on a move to London when he went to Wigan. Would be a great signing at league Two but personally think he will end up back in league one 

41 minutes ago, Emile said:

Ive spent a bit of time with Devante Cole. He's a really nice guy. Got a lot of contacts in the North West so I'd be surprised to see him move back south but he was keen on a move to London when he went to Wigan. Would be a great signing at league Two but personally think he will end up back in league one 

He hasn't really progressed, seems to have gone backwards if anything as a player.

On 04/08/2020 at 19:36, tisdeano said:

So we sign Sinclair to develop young talent then we go into meltdown when we dare get some young talent on trial emoji2369.png

Hahaha!!! Keep banging on about bringing in "an old head"...someone who's "been there and done it"...yet, list after list shows these are not available - which means we'd have to tempt one away from his current club...which means a biggish transfer fee! If younger players can't learn something from Cullen, Pope and Frank Sinclair they probably won't kick on. If we only sign a decent backup keeper, now, I'll be happy with this squad even if we sign 21yr old Bradbury and no other striker.

Hahaha!!! Keep banging on about bringing in "an old head"...someone who's "been there and done it"...yet, list after list shows these are not available - which means we'd have to tempt one away from his current club...which means a biggish transfer fee! If younger players can't learn something from Cullen, Pope and Frank Sinclair they probably won't kick on. If we only sign a decent backup keeper, now, I'll be happy with this squad even if we sign 21yr old Bradbury and no other striker.
Excellent post agree with that.

Agree re the subs bench.
So good to see.
I saw enough of Cullen last season to believe he could be an excellent lone striker.
He links up play very well and his movement is very good.
Doesn't waste his energy on tussling with Neanderthal centre halves!

Away at Walsall thought he was class tbh

10 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Ex Agent on twitter linking us and Bantams to Kristian Dennis.

An obvious link. Notts County had an option for this season but have offered him a new deal instead - which implies reduced terms. Not sure there is much in the tweet itself as Stuart McCall has already said he has enough strikers - Novak, Donaldson,  Guthrie, Clarke. I suspect Askey would jump at the opportunity but he was on very good money at County and I don't think he will want to take a pay cut.

Archived