onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

8 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Playing a high tempo, pressing game requires substitutions.

I would expect the midfielders to be sharing the load.

All seem capable, so, hopefully the quality and tempo will remain for 95 minutes.

With regards to substitutes are we allowed to make 5 now ? Or was that rule just amended after the restart ? 

Advert

26 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

With regards to substitutes are we allowed to make 5 now ? Or was that rule just amended after the restart ? 

That’s a very good question. The Prem have confirmed they will be doing 5 in the 20/21 season but not sure if that extends to the EFL? 

14 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

That’s a very good question. The Prem have confirmed they will be doing 5 in the 20/21 season but not sure if that extends to the EFL? 

Premier League will meet on the 6th August AGM to decide. Each league can decide what it wants to do.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have a feeling that Rodney is thought of as a bit more than that.

Someone recently posted recently that the football dept really rate him and I reckon we will see more of him than we think.

Who knows... it will be exciting to find out!

Hope so! Hopefully be will be another Burgess. I think Cullen would be good enough to lead the line for us if we can keep him fit. Pope is also a great option to have on the bench. If we bring in another forward of decent quality then we will be in a very good place.

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

Interesting comparison, I note that Michael Tonge agrees a new contract on this day in 2017.

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

Interesting comparison, I note that Michael Tonge agrees a new contract on this day in 2017.

Tonge  played at bigger clubs in a higher standard than any of our current squad ever will...unfortunately we signed him when he was ready for the knackers yard !

3 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Tonge  played at bigger clubs in a higher standard than any of our current squad ever will...unfortunately we signed him when he was ready for the knackers yard !

Absolutely, on both counts.

It's harsh of me to highlight him.

His signing reflected the parlous state of the club.

Very good player in his time.

3 hours ago, TylerB said:

Whitehead and Mills are two very good signings for League Two. Whitehead has bags of energy and plays a bit like Doug Loft. If we can get in a decent forward to complete with Cullen and Pope for a starting place (I see Rodney as more of a prospect and 4th choice currently) and a left-back (Clark would be wonderful) then I think we've got a great chance of doing something next season.

Mills is an excellent signing, as for Whitehead  never been impressed and the fact he has had a lot of clubs backs that up ! I will be happy if I am wrong .  ;)

21 minutes ago, DistantVale said:

Mills is an excellent signing, as for Whitehead  never been impressed and the fact he has had a lot of clubs backs that up ! I will be happy if I am wrong .  ;)

Impossible to fully judge him as he's only played against us twice.  A lot of those clubs is Macclesfield 5 times.

I think with Conlon's tendency to fade after 60 (but be superb before that) and Manny's lack of reliability, it's worth having a competitive midfield.

Factor in the sheer amount of ground the two number 8s have to cover and I imagine Whitehead will see a lot of game time. Joyce is the only nailed on starter in the middle for me right now (would still like a young destroyer brought in to offer cover to him).

The squad is very nicely balanced across the board now, with no 'weak points' to be exploited (if Monty is up to the job of another full season at left back, which I think he is).

Hopefully the last couple of signings give us that classy edge which separates top 10 teams from top 3 teams. UTV

37 minutes ago, DistantVale said:

In the last few years he's been at two clubs, Salford and Macclesfield. Askey loves mobile players that can get about and this guy can seriously run all day. He can also chip in with the odd goal here and there. He's an Askey sort of player down to a tee and at 26 is at a great age. His signing makes perfect sense.

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think with Conlon's tendency to fade after 60 (but be superb before that) and Manny's lack of reliability, it's worth having a competitive midfield.

Factor in the sheer amount of ground the two number 8s have to cover and I imagine Whitehead will see a lot of game time. Joyce is the only nailed on starter in the middle for me right now (would still like a young destroyer brought in to offer cover to him).

The squad is very nicely balanced across the board now, with no 'weak points' to be exploited (if Monty is up to the job of another full season at left back, which I think he is).

Hopefully the last couple of signings give us that classy edge which separates top 10 teams from top 3 teams. UTV

Totally agree on Joyce. He’s nailed on to start as the holding midfielder for me too. He’s done it pretty much consistently at this level. Someone like Manny playing that role is an unknown quantity and when fully fit I think Mannys better in a more advanced role with the ball. Askey knows what he’s getting from Joyce there. 

I still believe that if we start with Monty at left back that teams will try to exploit that area of the pitch. A dedicated left back or Clark would be ideal additions. But having said that Campbell- Gordon should be saying to himself that if he has a good preseason then it could be his year. It was for Gibbo at that age. 

Archived