onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Improving year on year, from a very, very low base.

The quality of the squad is higher than last season, loads higher than the season before and way better than the last season in league one.

It's what we expect from this leadership team and it's what we're getting.

I'm perfectly contented.

Advert

1 hour ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Yes. Twice for Macc last season. It looked poor in one game and bang average in the other. To be fair though they spanked in both games and it’s difficult to judge any player given the circumstances around Macc last season.

Maybe we should go on those who have watched him on a regular basis

8 minutes ago, dishydave said:

A 2 year contract tells us he's not here to make up the numbers otherwise Askey would of just give him 12 months like the squad filers last year

I suspect Askey sees him as a probable starter. The interesting thing about this signing is it probably means Oyeleke and Joyce are the options as holding midfield. Probably sensible as a lot of Oyeleke's injuries have come from driving forward in the inside right position.

As sure as night follows day it’s preseason transfer time. That time of year when people claim to be experts on players who played against us when dare I say they wouldn’t really have been paying that much attention to that particular player through a 90 minute match. Then we get the wind up artist coming in who has echoes of previous posters on here... hmm. Then we have those judging them on Wikipedia. Which unless you’re a top end player is invariably negative anyway.

So is Whitehead going to be any good? I have no idea. On the face of it he’s probably an upgrade to our previous midfield back ups in Lloyd and Evans. He’s got age on his side in comparison to Atkinson. But it looks like we’ve got some good competition in that area of the pitch. I think it’s a given that Joyce will start. Then you’ve got Manny, Conlon, Whitehead, Burgess all vying for the other 2 positions. We could be looking strong in that area if Manny can stay fit. And that’s without us getting Jake Taylor back (unless Whitehead is a similar type player to him)??

30 minutes ago, dishydave said:

A 2 year contract tells us he's not here to make up the numbers otherwise Askey would of just give him 12 months like the squad filers last year

as Macc fans always said... Askey doesn’t need money, he needs time.

Some clear long term plays with 2 and 3 year contracts to build his squad. 

Surely the best way to judge a player is how he performed for the same manager in the same system previously.
As previously mentioned, my mate is a Macc fans and says Askey knows how to get the best out of Danny. His words were:
"Absolute class, was far far too good for the conference, only stayed there when we got promoted because Salford offered him silly money. Would be a great signing"
Im happy!

Spot on. Let's Judge the lad on what he does on the pitch.
It says a lot to me that West Ham and Wigan have both signed him out of non league. They must have seen something in him. Ok he didn't cut it at that level, but he has proven twice he is better than non league level. Askey knows what he can do, and Macc plainly love him as the keep going back in for him. That is probably largely because of what Askey got out of him in their promotion year.
Personally I trust a manager who has turned us from relegation fodder to promotion material in 12 months.

Whitehead is a right side attacking midfielder and competition for Burgess while Taylor is a left sided attacking midfielder and competition for Conlon....as above stated this signing must mean that Manny will compete with Joyce for the central holding midfield role which is where Manny played winning player of the season and getting a move to Vale...it will be interesting to see where Askey sees Hurst playing either front left or left midfield....by all accounts a real talent.

Fascinating battle for the midfield places shaping up next season now. Manny is in my opinion our classiest player by far. If he is now over his injury issues he must be the first name on the team sheet. That leaves conlon, Burgess, Joyce, and Whitehead battling for the remaining 2 central positions. Wouldn't like to be in JA's shoes. That said, I think all will get games at some point with injuries suspensions and loss of form over the course of a season. The first team sheet if everybody is fit will tell us who JA prefers as his first choice

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

You have 8 posts... almost exclusively negative.

Give over.

In one sentence you have proven you either know nothing, are making sh*t up or are on a wind up. Based on feedback from Macc fans who have seen him play in this system for this manager he is a very creative attacking midfielder. 

Evans was a defensive mid who also played right back... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Looks like Mr Briscoe is this close season's WUM???

13 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Fascinating battle for the midfield places shaping up next season now. Manny is in my opinion our classiest player by far. If he is now over his injury issues he must be the first name on the team sheet. That leaves conlon, Burgess, Joyce, and Whitehead battling for the remaining 2 central positions. Wouldn't like to be in JA's shoes. That said, I think all will get games at some point with injuries suspensions and loss of form over the course of a season. The first team sheet if everybody is fit will tell us who JA prefers as his first choice

Interesting point about Manny. Out of the midfielders i would say Joyce would be the first name on the team sheet, purely based on his performances last season and the manger knows he can trust him. No doubt Manny is a class player, but at the moment surely the manager must have a nagging doubt about his reliability? Has Manny played the holding role for us much? I can’t remember. 

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Very good signing this. Squad is better than last season and we would have been promoted if we'd played the full 46. Very positive stuff. UTV 

Spot on! I'm struggling to understand some posters who think we need to sign a quality striker to get into the top 7? We were heading there, last season, with a squad that has since been improved? I think the bookies will have us in the top 5 for promotion?

Football is all about opinions! Manny hasn't played that role for us at all I don't think but think personally that he would excel and offer more than Joyce. Possibly the reason he hasn't played it for us is because he was needed further forward in his first season given the decrepit other centre mids! Whatever happens I inherently trust JA

Interesting point about Manny. Out of the midfielders i would say Joyce would be the first name on the team sheet, purely based on his performances last season and the manger knows he can trust him. No doubt Manny is a class player, but at the moment surely the manager must have a nagging doubt about his reliability? Has Manny played the holding role for us much? I can’t remember. 

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Must be honest I agree with philmpv. Fully fit Oyeleke would be my first choice in midfield. He offers some real physicality as well as being a good footballer. IF he's 100% fit its which position you pick for him. Conlon being left footed and not really having a left footed winger means he will probably start. That leaves Joyce, Whitehead and Burgess for one spot.

Archived