onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

5 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Have you ever seen him play?

It's a very good signing this!

Yes. Twice for Macc last season. It looked poor in one game and bang average in the other. To be fair though they spanked in both games and it’s difficult to judge any player given the circumstances around Macc last season.

Advert

1 minute ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Yes. Twice for Macc last season. It looked poor in one game and bang average in the other. To be fair though they spanked in both games and it’s difficult to judge any player given the circumstances around Macc last season.

Did he play defensive midfield in those games? hahaha

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

Did he play defensive midfield in those games? hahaha

What’s your point? I can’t see your point about right back or defensive midfield. My point is that he comes with a similar pedigree and with the promise that Askey know how to get the best out of him. Keep laughing to yourself beef curtain.

35 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Just look at his stats. History is everything at this level, especially as he is being brought in as experienced player. Look how many games he has played for a player of 26/27. He may have promotions on his CV but he didn’t play for Mac that much and at Salford he was playing in a very good side that would have been promoted without him.

Im honestly no knocking your enthusiasm, but sometimes being realistic is a far better view point. He looks to be a hard working midfielder player, but doesn’t have creativity, isn’t the best passer of the ball, doesn’t have a great deal of pace. You add all that up and you just have another Evans from last season.

Im still positive about the majority of the squad and just hope that we can bring a Taylor type player or Clark back before the transfer window ends in October (I think it’s October now isnt it?)

He was a regular at Macclesfield every time he went back. He's had a strange career (Macc signed him 5 times). Seems to go there, do well, get a move to a bigger club, then it all goes wrong. He was poor against us but played in a midfield 2 against a 3 both times last season. I do have a theory about Salford at the moment that they sign good players rather than players right for their system. It will be interesting to see how Rodney and Whitehead do for us. With I do feel Askey looks for players who will do the specific job he wants. The manager clearly rates him and thinks he can do the job he wants in the team. That's the call Askey gets paid to make. As fans we will be passing judgement on those calls by Christmas. Salford saw enough in Whitehead to win a bidding war for him which would have made him our top earner a couple of years ago. They spend a lot of money but there is enough football knowledge in that club to recognise a good player. What I think they do lack is the knowledge of how to build a good team.

Quite a few Salford fans still rate him as their most creative midfielder. We'll have to see how he does for us.

8 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

You went to Macclesfield twice in Feb/ March or are you confusing his two games against us for Salford?

1 minute ago, JRC said:

He was a regular at Macclesfield every time he went back. He's had a strange career (Macc signed him 5 times). Seems to go there, do well, get a move to a bigger club, then it all goes wrong. He was poor against us but played in a midfield 2 against a 3 both times last season. I do have a theory about Salford at the moment that they sign good players rather than players right for their system. It will be interesting to see how Rodney and Whitehead do for us. With I do feel Askey looks for players who will do the specific job he wants. The manager clearly rates him and thinks he can do the job he wants in the team. That's the call Askey gets paid to make. As fans we will be passing judgement on those calls by Christmas. Salford saw enough in Whitehead to win a bidding war for him which would have made him our top earner a couple of years ago. They spend a lot of money but there is enough football knowledge in that club to recognise a good player. What I think they do lack is the knowledge of how to build a good team.

Completely agree. I think it must be difficult to build a team with different managers and players coming in ever half a season. I think we proved last season that having that togetherness counts for a lot. It gives players the confidence that the management has faith in them, regardless of what we the fans might think of them at times.

2 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Completely agree. I think it must be difficult to build a team with different managers and players coming in ever half a season. I think we proved last season that having that togetherness counts for a lot. It gives players the confidence that the management has faith in them, regardless of what we the fans might think of them at times.

I'd agree that on the 2 Salford games I'm not inspired by this signing. I suspect he's better than that and he's quite probably a better player in a 3. If it comes off its a masterstroke.  If it doesn't he'll be open to accusations of going back to Macc players all the time. 

found this quote from a Salford fan when they signed him: 

Really excited about seeing Danny Whitehead in our colours next season. Definitely a coup for the club having obtained his signature given interest in him from elsewhere. Speaking to a Macclesfield season ticket holder today who was gutted to see him leave them but is confident that he will be immense for us!

not quite first hand but more reliable than looking at his stats on soccerbase

From all accounts Whitehead is a creative attacking midfielder both hardworking and mobile who has won promotion to league 2 twice from the conference and thus deserves a shot at league football....said to be one of the stand out midfielders in the conference thus signed by money bags Salford and known to Askey who must know the player well....thought we might not get this one signed but Askey has pulled off a good signing and along with young Burgess the right side of midfield is sorted.....consider the right side with Gibbons/Mills....Burgess/Whitehead.....Amoo/Browne......and think of all that space on the Vale pitch.

1 minute ago, Topher said:

found this quote from a Salford fan when they signed him: 

Really excited about seeing Danny Whitehead in our colours next season. Definitely a coup for the club having obtained his signature given interest in him from elsewhere. Speaking to a Macclesfield season ticket holder today who was gutted to see him leave them but is confident that he will be immense for us!

not quite first hand but more reliable than looking at his stats on soccerbase

At Macclesfield a lot of fans liken him to Danny Whit. Not sure we ever got full value from Whittaker in a 442. He was a better player at Macc and Chesterfield who both had systems better suited to him as a player.

28 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

What’s your point? I can’t see your point about right back or defensive midfield. My point is that he comes with a similar pedigree and with the promise that Askey know how to get the best out of him. Keep laughing to yourself beef curtain.

Someone else used to call me that... he was a proper idiot that eventually got banned

My point is you specifically said he wasn’t creative despite apparently seeing him twice and him being described as Macc’s most creative player.

As I say, almost all of your posts are negative... might be time to just sit back and see a player play before being unhappy the second he signs 👍

Unlike some this seems a significant signing same as Mills really who are both players that Askey has been after for some time and can be considered as players who can really push for first team football and have something to offer not just the squad but the team.

So just a decent back up keeper and another striker to go then maybe a couple of loan players.

31 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Very pleased with this signing, obviously Askey has a far greater knowledge of the Lad than you do and I know for a certainty that Askey has a far greater idea of what he wants in his squad next season.

I am even more excited by the fact that Askey was slaughtered for his signings in the last close season and that didn't end too badly did it ?

Archived