onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

31 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Doesn't seem like more signings are imminent from this article - Sentinel

Not so sure about that. I think it’s Askey’s way of a.) trying to manage supporter expectations and b.) sending a message that we’re not going to be held hostage by ridiculous wage demands.  

I’d still expect a couple of signings and if not, so what, we’ve still basically got all of last years team which, correct me if I’m wrong, only lost to Swindon away (obviously) of the teams that got promoted. 

This is going to be a good year for us, you heard it here first!

I suppose we might be considering the loan market again as well. If we can find a couple as good as Taylor and Clark then that will make a big difference too. Permanent signings are best as they are our players to develop and keep but Askey has done well in the loan market and there might be lads out there that we don't know of/haven't considered.

I think the management team have demonstrated they have a good eye for players and really look for the right player to fit our system.I'm confident they will do so again, although I would have liked us to make a statement signing up front with a striker but can't see that happening. 

I'm more concerned about the GK position. I thought Brown's level of performance started to decline a little last season and really think we need another number 1 to push him back to his best or even ready to replace him. Its an area we need proper competion for places and not an automatic choice.

I thought he would have been a good back up.
I'd have been pretty disappointed if he was the striker to come in and his new club being in the national league about sums it up. We need someone to come in and challenge, I think it's either going to be someone completely left field that none of us had considered available or a loanee.

20 hours ago, MBE said:

I think the management team have demonstrated they have a good eye for players and really look for the right player to fit our system.I'm confident they will do so again, although I would have liked us to make a statement signing up front with a striker but can't see that happening. 

I'm more concerned about the GK position. I thought Brown's level of performance started to decline a little last season and really think we need another number 1 to push him back to his best or even ready to replace him. Its an area we need proper competion for places and not an automatic choice.

I predict Mark Cullen will be top scorer in League 2 next season. 

13 minutes ago, Warren said:

I predict Mark Cullen will be top scorer in League 2 next season. 

Crikey mate. Love your optimism and honestly hope you are right. Fear though there will be a few other Clubs with recognized scorers who will have their say.

I think the way Askey likes to play it that we will have a few scorers again this coming season from all over the pitch. Cant see us getting in a " big old fashioned Pope type" centre forward but maybe midfielders and wingers who will give the opposition many difficult moments. UTV.

I bang on about this quite often but I do think you need a strong, physical XI at our level if you want to be towards the top of the table. There are odd exceptions but how many teams don't play with a big number nine? And how many times do we look at the opposition warming up at the Hamil End and think blimey they're a big team?

Sometimes it's horses for courses and Cullen (if fit) has good ability and an eye for goal, but equally as often we'll need a big man to hold up the ball, win some headers and physically pressurise the two big centre backs that most teams have. 

I think we'll be missing a trick if we are not looking at another target man, someone who could fulfil Pope's role. The ball is in the air so much in this league. Take away Pope from the squad and we look lightweight in the final third for me.

The Bolton forum is a decent read and they do some deep research into option.

As well the the obvious names of Maynard, Palmer and Theo Robinson they have also identifies these 2.

OLI HAWKINS
Released by Pompey, age 28 (DOB 8.4.92), 6ft5 striker/centre-back, played 77 times in third tier. Scored winning goal in 2019 EFL Trophy final shootout but in truth not exactly goalstrewn – although he bagged 18 in 38 fifth-tier games for Dag & Red in 2016/17.

DOMINIC SAMUEL
6ft2 striker released by Blackburn, so he's possibly just up the road. A prolific scorer in Reading's youth ranks, he scored 6 in 13 on loan to third-tier Cov in 2014/15, then another 7 (plus 4 assists) in 25 on loan at third-tier Gillingham in 2015/16; moved to Blackburn in summer 2017 and scored 4 in his first 6 starts, but then ruptured his ACL. Came back last season without unduly bothering the scorers, but maybe-just-maybe there's a player there.

Archived