onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

14 minutes ago, robf said:

But it's something of a buyer's market with all the financial uncertainties. Looks like he was released reluctantly by Motherwell purely due to finances. With that sort of thing happening, players are going to accept what they can, where they can. If you are him and a club like Vale have come in with an early offer, offering him some sort of security during uncertain times, would you accept it?

He spoke last week of the problem of attracting interest from English clubs when playing in Scotland. He's probably slightly unique in that regard. There's probably "more value" in terms of what he's prepared to accept than some of the alternatives we've looked at to replace Smith. I'm guessing it's still a hefty wage compared to most people.

Advert

The lack of pace or age of a centre half doesn't hold that much fear in league 2. 

A previous poster mentioned Purse, Chilvers and Mccombe. None of them were Usain Bolt and none of them particularly the right side of 30. All did a job and played a big part in promotion. 

1 hour ago, robf said:

But it's something of a buyer's market with all the financial uncertainties. Looks like he was released reluctantly by Motherwell purely due to finances. With that sort of thing happening, players are going to accept what they can, where they can. If you are him and a club like Vale have come in with an early offer, offering him some sort of security during uncertain times, would you accept it?

Nathan Smith doesn't seem to think like that...

23 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Blimey you don't give up do you! 😛

I suspect Nathan Smith has definite offers as he's young so this sort of thing won't apply to him as much.

However, it's a different situation if you're 32 like Hartley and looking for a paycheck before you retire.

33 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Smith and the club must be very confident he's moving on IF the rumours about Hartley are true. I'm guessing we've offered as much as we can afford and he's already got offered more elsewhere. Clubs are already signing players up so there must be a degree of confidence the season will be starting within the next 2 months.

Vale may have made a judgement call that the more in demand players may actually be cheaper now than in a couple of weeks when all clubs are back in the market to sign players and driving up wages. They might wait until the bargain bucket at the end of the window for less key players, like a backup rightback. I think that smaller squads will drive wages of "squad players" down much more than starting players. So, for example, there are loads of perfectly adequate backup rightbacks, midfield players and even experienced keepers available; many of whom will still be without clubs in September. Conversely there are very few decent strikers, so I expect anyone capable of 10 goals a season will have been signed by the start of August.

A bit like the stock market there are really a number of markets for different types of players and individual players. Some companies have got through covid with increased share prices, some have tanked completely. Football wages are very similar with some winners and many losers. Smith will probably be a winner because:

He's the right age

In smaller squads the fact he rarely misses matches will be a consideration.

As with buying shares I suspect this summer timing of buying players may be crucial. A top centreforward will be expensive and have a club within a fortnight at pre covid levels. Decent centreforwards may see their going rates go up over the next 3 or 4 weeks as the numbers available decrease leading to clubs getting desperate, with some get something close to what they were on last season. Some players will find they have zero value at the end of September. Overall the average will be lower but that is different to all players getting lower wages.

1 hour ago, robf said:

Blimey you don't give up do you! 😛

I suspect Nathan Smith has definite offers as he's young so this sort of thing won't apply to him as much.

However, it's a different situation if you're 32 like Hartley and looking for a paycheck before you retire.

Sorry, cheap shot but I hope Nathan knows what he is doing.

Archived