onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

28 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I know this could come to bite us, but as a cost save exercise would it not be better to promote a youth goalie from within to number two?

Brown (touch wood) isn't particularly injury prone, and there's isn't much chance he gets dislodged give his form over the last two years. Maybe having a talented young lad on the bench to learn from Browny would be the best option.

I agree, in principle. After all, of the worst did happen we can always bring in someone experienced later on. 

Advert

I don't think you can take that risk. With no transfer windows [apart from January] we'd be in the mire if Brown got a serious injury in August and was out for ages. Too risky for me. I guess we'll try and find another up and coming lad with a little bit of experience rather than rely on a youth team player. Goalkeeper is a key position.

I don't think you can take that risk. With no transfer windows [apart from January] we'd be in the mire if Brown got a serious injury in August and was out for ages. Too risky for me. I guess we'll try and find another up and coming lad with a little bit of experience rather than rely on a youth team player. Goalkeeper is a key position.

You can get an emergency loan in if the back up has played less than 5 times. With our improving reputation you’d hope we’d have more clubs willing to do us a favour than when we had the shambles season with goalies a couple of seasons ago.

I know this could come to bite us, but as a cost save exercise would it not be better to promote a youth goalie from within to number two?

Brown (touch wood) isn't particularly injury prone, and there's isn't much chance he gets dislodged give his form over the last two years. Maybe having a talented young lad on the bench to learn from Browny would be the best option.

No mate, non on books suitable

I'm really interested to see what this summer looks like for all clubs at L1/L2 level.

Losing the budgeted revenue for 5 or 6 home games, plus a share of the 4 or 5 away games must surely have an awful effect on club's finances?

When the season was suspended, I was sure that most L1/L2 squads would be made up of youth players (on the cheap to balance the books). Maybe a core of 11-14 pro's, then another 10+ youth players or cheap gambles?

I am the only one that would be surprised if we had a squad of 20ish pro's? 

31 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I'm really interested to see what this summer looks like for all clubs at L1/L2 level.

Losing the budgeted revenue for 5 or 6 home games, plus a share of the 4 or 5 away games must surely have an awful effect on club's finances?

When the season was suspended, I was sure that most L1/L2 squads would be made up of youth players (on the cheap to balance the books). Maybe a core of 11-14 pro's, then another 10+ youth players or cheap gambles?

I am the only one that would be surprised if we had a squad of 20ish pro's? 

Against that clubs are receiving furlough money during a time in the season when traditionally they get no revenue. Listening to managers they still anticipate similar size squads provided we start soonish. Most retained lists have had a couple of marginal calls but clubs have offered better players something.

9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I agree, in principle. After all, of the worst did happen we can always bring in someone experienced later on. 

You can get a loan goalie outside of the transfer window.

Edit:  Sorry Jacob.  Reminder to self, read to end of thread before posting!

With regards to a 2nd keeper, I feel confident that JA has someone in mind, else why release Maddison?

Under normal circumstances, which these clearly ain't, we would/should be looking for a keeper who may not be the finished article, but can push Brown a bit harder than Maddison appears to have been able to do.

6 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I was listening to the fantastic Ale and the Vale podcast yesterday and heard them talking about Michael Bostwick coming in as a potential Smith replacement. Apparently he's set to sign for Mansfield.

I’d imagine he’s on big money and recently Mansfield have been one of the big payers in league two, so no surprise if he goes to them. 

19 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
37 minutes ago, PV1973 said:
I’d imagine he’s on big money and recently Mansfield have been one of the big payers in league two, so no surprise if he goes to them. 

Is this a paralell universe?

Football has been a parallel universe for many years now.

Archived