onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Advert

37 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Askey saying he wants to sign 5 or 6 in the "Summer" (or whenever the period before next season is!) - Sentinel

There are good options in most positions he wants to strengthen who would at the very least improve the squad:

Goalkeeper .. quite a few

Rightback .. loads some of whom have also played regulatly in a second role

Centrehalf.. quite a few

Midfield .. quite a few

There are a few decent utility type forwards available who can play wide or through the middle:

McCartan, Nouble, McKirdy, Grant

He'll want at least one player who can lead the line and these type of players are all getting offered terms by their clubs. Will these options all end up staying put because teams can't sign players until the league give a restart date? They have 30 days to sign contracts where they are or to risk no getting paid. That central striker is likely to be the most important position we fill this summer and also the most difficult. I don't see anyone better in that role than Bennett in the released lists and I think we need an upgrade on Bennett to reach the next level. Even Macclesfield have offered terms to their better centreforward and they are in deep financial trouble.

I was a bit surprised to see that Macc released their number 7 Arthur Gnahoua.

I know it's dangerous to sign players on the basis of them having good games against you but is he worth a look?

MOTM against us last season at their place and the first touch and finish for his goal was very good.

13 minutes ago, Santa said:

I know it's dangerous to sign players on the basis of them having good games against you but is he worth a look?

MOTM against us last season at their place and the first touch and finish for his goal was very good.

I was more surprised that Fiarce Kelleher is being held to his contract extension... They must have selectively paid him so he couldn't walk away. 

He would be my clear number 1 choice should Smith leave.

31 minutes ago, Santa said:

I too was impressed with him - in both games. He looked energetic and was always looking for the ball.

I haven't looked him up but I imagine he's had a few clubs and would be classed as a journeyman but he would certainly be worth a shout I think. Made a good impression on me.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

He'll want at least one player who can lead the line and these type of players are all getting offered terms by their clubs. Will these options all end up staying put because teams can't sign players until the league give a restart date? They have 30 days to sign contracts where they are or to risk no getting paid. That central striker is likely to be the most important position we fill this summer and also the most difficult. I don't see anyone better in that role than Bennett in the released lists and I think we need an upgrade on Bennett to reach the next level. Even Macclesfield have offered terms to their better centreforward and they are in deep financial trouble.

I suppose one way of looking at it is - if there are no free agents who can fill the central striker role then perhaps there could be a bid for a contracted player (if funds allow)? I guess the Man City money may help for any transfer fee although if clubs are looking to offload I guess they may not even want a fee and will simply be happy for a mutual end of contract to lower the wage bill.

After all, if other clubs are struggling financially and releasing players to save money then doesn't the logic go that some will be happy to release some players who were given lengthy contracts before this crisis kicked off, so they can reduce the wage bill?

Will Joe B have to extend his spreadsheet to include all contracted players worth a cheeky Vale bid?

2 hours ago, Santa said:

I am probably wrong but i think we might be something in this. I am quite sure I have seen him training with Monty, Amoo, Brown and our ex player Vassell during lockdown. Then again they all could just be mates!

16 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Out the ones macclesfield have released I like the look of Charles cook as a keeper excellent shot stopper. Nathan Cameron is a good centre half he may have been at bury aswell when Pope was. 

Cameron riddled with injuries hence he was at Macc.

I might be wrong Andy but are we just remembering his worldie game against us for Coventry ? To end up at Macc and then be released is quite a fall from grace.

2 hours ago, ethan and archies dad said:

I am probably wrong but i think we might be something in this. I am quite sure I have seen him training with Monty, Amoo, Brown and our ex player Vassell during lockdown. Then again they all could just be mates!

Interesting!

Although a quick scan of Askeys games of manager of Shrewsbury and Gnahoua only made the bench twice. 

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Interesting!

Although a quick scan of Askeys games of manager of Shrewsbury and Gnahoua only made the bench twice. 

Askey was in charge of the youth team at Macclesfield when Gnahoua was there. Certainly knows him.

I know this could come to bite us, but as a cost save exercise would it not be better to promote a youth goalie from within to number two?

Brown (touch wood) isn't particularly injury prone, and there's isn't much chance he gets dislodged give his form over the last two years. Maybe having a talented young lad on the bench to learn from Browny would be the best option.

3 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I know this could come to bite us, but as a cost save exercise would it not be better to promote a youth goalie from within to number two?

Brown (touch wood) isn't particularly injury prone, and there's isn't much chance he gets dislodged give his form over the last two years. Maybe having a talented young lad on the bench to learn from Browny would be the best option.

My grandson is a top keeper.Is 11 too young Walka?Not a bad idea ,I don’t think it’s feasible at the moment to have 2 readymade first team goalies,due to cost.Scotty is so consistent,it would mean someone guaranteed only a place on the bench.

I suppose one way of looking at it is - if there are no free agents who can fill the central striker role then perhaps there could be a bid for a contracted player (if funds allow)? I guess the Man City money may help for any transfer fee although if clubs are looking to offload I guess they may not even want a fee and will simply be happy for a mutual end of contract to lower the wage bill.
After all, if other clubs are struggling financially and releasing players to save money then doesn't the logic go that some will be happy to release some players who were given lengthy contracts before this crisis kicked off, so they can reduce the wage bill?
Will Joe B have to extend his spreadsheet to include all contracted players worth a cheeky Vale bid?
Blimey, that Man City money's been spent a few times now...

Archived