onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

As a bit of a talking point, these are players I think fit our team, are of a good age, and are currently on a free, who fit our needs, and who we could realistically sign. I'd love for us to go after any of them, though I've highlighted my favourites:

George Taft, CB, 26 (Released from Cambridge)

Cameron Burgess, CB, 24 (Scunthorpe)

Yann Songo'o, CB, 28 (Scunthorpe)

Jake Hessenthaler, CM, 26 (Grimbsy)

Hope Akpan, CM, 28 (Bradford)

Paul Lewis, CM, 25 (Cambridge)

Alex MacDonald, CM, 30 (Mansfield)

Otis Khan, AM, 24 (Mansfield)

Harry McKirdy, W, 23 (Carlisle)

Frank Nouble, S, 28 (Colchester)

The likes of Shay McCartan, Scott Wiseman, Ryan Jackson, Chris Neal, Stefan Scougall, Michael O'Connor, and Krystian Pearce are all players good enough to come and improve us but either

1. Don't fit the system

2. We're already well stocked in their position

3. Are getting on

In terms of backup to Brown, I imagine we'll go cheap and young but the likes of Bobby Olejnik, Kyle Letheren, and Conrad Logan are about, though they'd all probably want the starters job.

Advert

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

In terms of backup to Brown, I imagine we'll go cheap and young but the likes of Bobby Olejnik, Kyle Letheren, and Conrad Logan are about, though they'd all probably want the starters job.

I'd personally be happy with an Askey/Rudge non-league punt for a back-up. Play the youngster in the FLT and the LC (presuming both take place) and Scott Brown in the league...

59 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd personally be happy with an Askey/Rudge non-league punt for a back-up. Play the youngster in the FLT and the LC (presuming both take place) and Scott Brown in the league...

He did that with Maddison though and he only started the once.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Unless Brown gets injured I only see Maddison's replacement only starting an odd game. If Brown gets injurred there's the option of an emergency loan.

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

As a bit of a talking point, these are players I think fit our team, are of a good age, and are currently on a free, who fit our needs, and who we could realistically sign. I'd love for us to go after any of them, though I've highlighted my favourites:

George Taft, CB, 26 (Released from Cambridge)

Cameron Burgess, CB, 24 (Scunthorpe)

Yann Songo'o, CB, 28 (Scunthorpe)

Jake Hessenthaler, CM, 26 (Grimbsy)

Hope Akpan, CM, 28 (Bradford)

Paul Lewis, CM, 25 (Cambridge)

Alex MacDonald, CM, 30 (Mansfield)

Otis Khan, AM, 24 (Mansfield)

Harry McKirdy, W, 23 (Carlisle)

Frank Nouble, S, 28 (Colchester)

The likes of Shay McCartan, Scott Wiseman, Ryan Jackson, Chris Neal, Stefan Scougall, Michael O'Connor, and Krystian Pearce are all players good enough to come and improve us but either

1. Don't fit the system

2. We're already well stocked in their position

3. Are getting on

Great list Joe,

I can see Harry Davis (brother of Joe) being someone on our radar.

28 Years old, 54 games for Grimsby, Captain of Crewe at 23, contender for captain at Grimsby last year.

He still lives in Crewe and is described as a model hard working professional in something I read about him recently. Exactly the sort of pro Askey loves.

If Smith leaves, could Askey replace him with Brisley and bring local boy Harry in as a second string.

Im guessing Smiths new wage offer would make him well paid compared to the majority of the squad. 

Given Brisley kept him out of the squad for a while and performed admirably, he could be a cost conscious, value based replacement. 

Harry wouldn’t be on big money and living locally would be worth a lot to him (he is married with kids but rented a room in Grimsby and I think only visited the family In Crewe when not training).

That would free up some of the extra Smith would have commanded for a better midfielder or striker.

10 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great list Joe,

28 Years old, 54 games for Grimsby, Captain of Crewe at 23, contender for captain at Grimsby last year.

He still lives in Crewe and is described as a model hard working professional in something I read about him recently. Exactly the sort of pro Askey loves.

If Smith leaves, could Askey replace him with Brisley and bring local boy Harry in as a second string.

Im guessing Smiths new wage offer would make him well paid compared to the majority of the squad. 

Given Brisley kept him out of the squad for a while and performed admirably, he could be a cost conscious, value based replacement. 

Harry wouldn’t be on big money and living locally would be worth a lot to him (he is married with kids but rented a room in Grimsby and I think only visited the family In Crewe when not training).

That would free up some of the extra Smith would have commanded for a better midfielder or striker.

I've got Davis down on the 'average' section of my spreadsheet - would undoubtedly be a steady replacement.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I've got Davis down on the 'average' section of my spreadsheet - would undoubtedly be a steady replacement.

I reckon that’s spot on.

It still surprises me that Nouble is only 28, I had him at 34 in my head!! 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Great list Joe,

Unless Askey sees Crookes as his 4th choice centrehalf I suspect Davis will be a possible to fill the Kennedy role. Nice footballer, very good on the ball and can also play rightback or as a holding midfield player.  Always looks to have a mistake in him. Reminds me a little of Dean Glover in terms of his style of play. Injured quite often at Grimsby. 

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Not sure of that - Maddison has been on the books of Sunderland, Crawley, Leicester, Yeovil (some six years) before joining Darlo in 2018 so he's been around the League blocks and never really cut it. I was thinking more of a hungry -league rather than the sort of journeyman Maddison unfortunately was. 

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Unless Brown gets injured I only see Maddison's replacement only starting an odd game. If Brown gets injurred there's the option of an emergency loan.

Yeah - on second thoughts, to save a bit of money I wonder if any keepers in the youth ranks could warm the bench? 

However, the last time we had to use the keeper emergency loan route we ended up with a succession of duds so I'd have to hope we'd use it better if we do go down that route.

A lot of lads who go through the Crewe academy are well coached and decent footballers. Davis I imagine falls into that bracket. 

It all depends on who agrees terms with us and who moves on but some of the names banded around seem plausible as long as they fit our philosophy under Askey and play for the team before themselves.

On 28/05/2020 at 22:38, robf said:

In terms of a fourth winger, I think Alex Hurst is seen as a left-sided wide player but I guess the issue is whether he would be ready - or whether sitting on the subs bench isn't going to help his development as much as a loan spell.

I think it's tricky for JA to judge the likes of Hurst and Campbell-Gordon with all the possible delays to group training etc - but I guess that if football finances are very tight going forward, we do potentially have two youngsters who can come in and provide competition in areas we probably need more strength. 

I also think that Crookes could become a decent ball-playing CB given time and confidence (I am concerned he's next in the queue for the boo boys though). Having a left sided CB could help too. I guess if he does switch the other key things will be his positioning and ability in the air.

I tend to agree about Crookes. One of Askey's big calls is where he sees Crookes's future. 

I think Hurst is earmarked as a replacement for Ryan Lloyd as cover down the left side. He's 21 at the start of next season so I think Askey will be expecting him to be in or around the squad. He also needs to decide his best position. He's mainly played leftback at Bradford but from the little I've seen he might be best in the Conlon role on the left of a midfield 3, ironically where I feel Lloyd was best suited to playing.

Campbell-Gordon is another big call. There aren't many good left backs in division 2. Does he need someone to compete with Montano? If Askey decides he does I suspect it will be relatively expensive.

Two centreforwards, back-up rightback, reserve keeper and cover for Joyce are probably definite recruitment targets. How Askey sees these 3 left-sided players performing and in what positions next season,  along with who resigns, will determine where else he can strengthen. My gut reaction is he will give all 3 a chance to press their claims in preseason and keep a couple of recruitment decisions until the season has started. If all 3 have a poor preseason I suspect he'll need a couple of left sided players at the rush, if not I think he'll look for options who can get goals out wide and from midfield. For me its being able to get players into wide areas and midfield to score goals that will move us from being a play-off challenging to top 3 team. So probably the 3 key decisions Askey has to make over the next couple of months.

Brisley did well for sure. But he never put Smithy out of the squad. Smithy had to come back in as RB and did a right good job against Nouble. I'm a massive Smith fan to be honest.  Got his name on my shirt. I really hope he stays. But if he moves to a higher level, you can't begrudge him that.

I think he will be a "you don't know what you've got 'til its gone" type player.  Sign up Smudger. With a reasonable buy out clause you would think this is the best option for all concerned at this time.

Archived