onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Amoo ,Browne ( if both sign ) and Worrall are 3 good options for attacking width so let Monty become the best left back at the club by right not by default. 

I thought that last season we were crying out for at least another winger.

Most teams when chasing a game or trying to hold onto a lead tend to sub one or both of their wingers for someone fresh with pace.

With Monty playing at full back and Browne spending the early part of the season injured and then short of match fitness I felt that we ran Worrall and Amoo into the ground.

By November Amoo's form dropped, this was in my opinion due to him being shattered and heavy pitches due to the rain. At the same time Worrall was cramping up towards the end of most games.

I think a key to pushing on next season would be to add a pacy winger who along with Browne could give Worrall and Amoo a break towards the end of games. They don't have to be the greatest player just someone who allows us to move quickly up the pitch preventing the opposition from pushing their line up as our wingers tire.

If we get a left back this could be Monty although for me despite his goals the season before last has usually flattered to deceive when played on the wing.

Advert

Montano is a left back. Keep him there. Another winger, to challenge the existing three is needed, and another left back is needed to challenge Monty. This may be Campbell-Gordon if they feel he's ready; Smith and Gibbons came from nowhere during pre-seasons to feature. The fact that RCG got a 2 year deal last summer is indicative of the esteem he's held in. If not, get him out to the National League and bring in a more steady fullback to complement Monty's bucanneering, baffling brilliance.

Crooks can slide over to his more natural centre back (where I think he'll be OK), to serve as backup with Brisley and as a developmental player with the next couple of years in mind. Hopefully fans don't write him off after some slightly sub-par performances at left back. If Smith goes, see if George Taft/Will Boyle fancy a steady role next to Leon Legge and in front of Scott Brown.

In addition, right back competition for Gibbo, a back-up keeper, and a mobile forward to give us the choice of Pope, Cullen, and New Signing, with a young lad from the Category 1 Academies/non-league willing to be 4th choice and a padawan to the esteemed Jedi Masters Pope and Cullen (like what we were hoping Archer would be).

Easy, this.

33 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Montano is a left back. Keep him there. Another winger, to challenge the existing three is needed, and another left back is needed to challenge Monty. This may be Campbell-Gordon if they feel he's ready; Smith and Gibbons came from nowhere during pre-seasons to feature. The fact that RCG got a 2 year deal last summer is indicative of the esteem he's held in. If not, get him out to the National League and bring in a more steady fullback to complement Monty's bucanneering, baffling brilliance.

Crooks can slide over to his more natural centre back (where I think he'll be OK), to serve as backup with Brisley and as a developmental player with the next couple of years in mind. Hopefully fans don't write him off after some slightly sub-par performances at left back. If Smith goes, see if George Taft/Will Boyle fancy a steady role next to Leon Legge and in front of Scott Brown.

In addition, right back competition for Gibbo, a back-up keeper, and a mobile forward to give us the choice of Pope, Cullen, and New Signing, with a young lad from the Category 1 Academies/non-league willing to be 4th choice and a padawan to the esteemed Jedi Masters Pope and Cullen (like what we were hoping Archer would be).

Easy, this.

My absolute dream if Smith did go would be Fiacre Kelleher at Macc... they rave about him as do the D3D4 podcast guys. 

6ft 3 tall and 24 years old. 

They all think he can and will play higher, if that could be via us that would be amazing. 

Challenge is that could be immediately and he could go to league 1 this summer.

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

My absolute dream if Smith did go would be Fiacre Kelleher at Macc... they rave about him as do the D3D4 podcast guys. 

6ft 3 tall and 24 years old. 

They all think he can and will play higher, if that could be via us that would be amazing. 

Challenge is that could be immediately and he could go to league 1 this summer.

I agree........But I don't fancy your chances trying to persuade the experts on here who say Askey only signs Macc players even though he is highly thought of.

In terms of a fourth winger, I think Alex Hurst is seen as a left-sided wide player but I guess the issue is whether he would be ready - or whether sitting on the subs bench isn't going to help his development as much as a loan spell.

I think it's tricky for JA to judge the likes of Hurst and Campbell-Gordon with all the possible delays to group training etc - but I guess that if football finances are very tight going forward, we do potentially have two youngsters who can come in and provide competition in areas we probably need more strength. 

I also think that Crookes could become a decent ball-playing CB given time and confidence (I am concerned he's next in the queue for the boo boys though). Having a left sided CB could help too. I guess if he does switch the other key things will be his positioning and ability in the air.

Mike Baggaley & SOT Live on Twitter saying we’re after Jake Taylor & Mitch Clark although competition expected. The connected article seems to imply a loan deal although it mentions our previous bids for JT.

Mike Baggaley & SOT Live on Twitter saying we’re after Jake Taylor & Mitch Clark although competition expected. The connected article seems to imply a loan deal although it mentions our previous bids for JT.
It would be a miracle if we got one of them, let alone both. They will be playing in league one minimum surely next year.

4 hours ago, efsb said:

I think it’s just a story with no real substance. Of course we’d like them back, why wouldnt Askey want them back? It doesn’t mean they will come to us though. If their parent clubs have anything about them then they’ll be trying to get them into a league one club. 

The trick is sign these types of player on a permanent deal before a loan deal puts them in the shop window.
We had a spell where we were great at finding those U21 players - McPhee, Brooker, Bridge-Wilkinson, Armstrong, Cummins, Pilkington, Goodlad etc
Completely agree but times have changed since then. Small transfer fees for young players who are unlikely to ever make the first team of premier/championship clubs don't interest those clubs at all given the stupid amount of tv money that they get. Unless you're talking a million or above, hoarding young talent just in case one becomes the next star appears to be the order of the day.

Archived