onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

Palmer will be off to League 1.

In terms of released forwards for League 2, you can choose from: Frank Nouble, Craig Davies, Luke Varney, and then a big pile of rubbish. Slim pickings.

Nouble would fit our system the most; mobile and tall. Not prolific but would probably be part of the machine, as opposed to the sole goal-getter.

Things will get interesting this week as its likely that League 1 will vote to end their season now on PPG basis, and lots of teams will be releasing retained lists there and then. That, non-league, and then Category 1 Academies are where we're going to find out next forward, if we don't fancy Nouble.

Advert

I've had my eye on Jamie Soule, a lad from West Brom who led the PL2 scoring stakes for a while this season.

He went on loan to Barrow in January, but due to the form of Angus and Quigley, only managed two sub appearances amounting to 15 minutes before the postponement.

Cheltenham and Lincoln wanted him as well, so he's well-rated.

I wouldn't count on Palmer ending up in league 1 tbh.

Good shout with boyle but there will be a lot of players available and we will be in a good position to entice players we wouldn't of thought possible before,our reputation in the game right now is very very good. I agree Smith will be off but we cant begrudge him that,been a good servant to us Brisley has a few years in him still and Legge probably enough legs for next season,we will get to see how Crookes plays at CB and will bring in another I am sure of that.

Would love us to get Clark in either on loan again or permanent,him and Gibbons as attacking full backs would be fantastic.

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Joe you do realise Varney is about 56 ?

Not getting the Palmer love in myself either, looks a cumbersome lump to me. 

Stood out in a bang average Crawley team but did very little previously 

Hence, I only offered Nouble as a genuine target. Varney is undoubtedly still a good forward (7 in 23 last season, 14 in 35 the one prior), but obviously we won't be pursuing him at 37.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I wouldn't count on Palmer ending up in league 1 tbh.

Good shout with boyle but there will be a lot of players available and we will be in a good position to entice players we wouldn't of thought possible before,our reputation in the game right now is very very good. I agree Smith will be off but we cant begrudge him that,been a good servant to us Brisley has a few years in him still and Legge probably enough legs for next season,we will get to see how Crookes plays at CB and will bring in another I am sure of that.

Would love us to get Clark in either on loan again or permanent,him and Gibbons as attacking full backs would be fantastic.

I think Clark demonstrated, in his limited minutes, that he's already better than League 2; he was the best player on the pitch in nearly every game, on the opposite side to his natural position.

Would be very surprised if he returned.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Hence, I only offered Nouble as a genuine target. Varney is undoubtedly still a good forward (7 in 23 last season, 14 in 35 the one prior), but obviously we won't be pursuing him at 37.

I don't think Nouble would be a target as a main striker - maybe as a 4th striker and 4th winger. Askey was pretty clear at the start of last season that he wanted 4 strikers but having 4 out and out strikers hemmed in his options a little.  All 4 of Archer, Pope, Cullen and Bennett were really players who played through the centre. That always left one/two without a strong shout of getting game time. 

45 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

We will probably sign that ironside from macclesfield if hes out of contract. 

All Macclesfield players are out of contract. Campbell put together a decent side I think would have finished top half but for finances, deducted points and players walking away. Ironside would be a good shout as a 4th striker. Not the biggest but Legge and Smith struggled to handle his holdup play.

Correy O'Keefe, who was their righback, has been released by WBA. He might be an option as cover for Gibbons.  

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

I'm fairly confident Smith won't sign.

Even with the current situation, a lot of League 1 clubs are still in a position to sign players, and signing a 24 year old with over 250 professional appearances, top levels of consistency, and a near flawless injury record is a no-brainer.

The good news is that Legge played every minute this season just gone, and, a few clumsy mishaps aside, was still a good defender. Brisley was pretty good in his half-dozen games, with a MOTM performance away at Northampton, so can clearly contribute if needed.

I still thin, after the forward position, a longer term option at centre back is a necessity. Legge and Brisley will both be in their 30s. Crooks is still young, and feels like more of a centre back than a left back, but isn't ready yet.

Some released options: Krystian Pearce, George Taft, Nathaniel Knight-Percival, Nathan Pond, Luke Prosser, Will Boyle, Harry Davis

Obviously Pond and Pearce are getting on, and Prosser is 31.

I think Taft or Boyle are the pick of the bunch; both in their mid 20s with a lot of games under their belt. Cheltenham fans want to keep Boyle and he might yet receive a contract offer if they sort their finances out with this playoff fiasco, but right now he will become a free agent at the end of June and can start negotiating with other clubs.

Boyle is the same age as Smith, didn't play loads this season due to the form of Cheltenham's exceptional back three, and would be a perfect fit alongside Legge, ahead of Brisley. He's 6"3, and captained them in the last game before lockdown against us.

I'll confess I'd never heard of Boyle before, but a quick Wikipedia scan shows he was signed by John Askey at Macclesfield in 2015 from Huddersfield so there could be a connection there...!

Good height, good age and experience - he's from near Leeds to so may welcome the chance to move closer to home?

4 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I'll confess I'd never heard of Boyle before, but a quick Wikipedia scan shows he was signed by John Askey at Macclesfield in 2015 from Huddersfield so there could be a connection there...!

Good height, good age and experience - he's from near Leeds to so may welcome the chance to move closer to home?

It looks like a good shout. Good experience in a good team at this level, good height and age. I'd be happy with him coming in.

Archived