onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

I've seen a few mentions of players linked before, players fans rate etc in other threads.

I thought it would be good to get all those posts in one dedicated thread where we can speculate while the football is over. 

So this thread is for:

• Rumours of players linked with a Vale move
  • Released players you'd like Vale to sign
  • Links to news stories linking Vale to a player
  • Anything else on the same lines

Advert

Ollie Palmer is an interesting character. Had a good scoring record in non-league (37 in 71 Conference South games) but didn't play a league game for three years and then only a handful. Not bad since then though with 51 EFL goals in 213 games - about 1 in 4. At 6'5' he might make a good replacement for Popey and he sure would be helpful when we have to defend set pieces. 

Guess there'll be a few after him.

1 minute ago, Andy Proctor said:

I've seen on Twitter atkinson linked with rochdale. I dont know how many we are looking to bring in but we definitely need a keeper and a striker. 

Askey has said about 6 but that was in March. We had one of the smallest squads last year so I'm guessing about 6 still. We've lost 9 with the loan players and Bennett leaving. 

Ollie Palmer is an interesting character. Had a good scoring record in non-league (37 in 71 Conference South games) but didn't play a league game for three years and then only a handful. Not bad since then though with 51 EFL goals in 213 games - about 1 in 4. At 6'5' he might make a good replacement for Popey and he sure would be helpful when we have to defend set pieces. 
He was used as an impact sub at Lincoln but left for more game time. I think he would be an excellent signing if we could get him

Don't think much will happen until some date of when we can get back to some sort of normality, the talk is possibly September, any thoughts, a lot of unknowns, can't see season starting in our league until fans and hospitality can attend games. 

2 hours ago, dishydave said:
4 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

He was used as an impact sub at Lincoln but left for more game time. I think he would be an excellent signing if we could get him

He certainly fits the Askey model of a big (6’5”) but mobile forward... interestingly he doesn’t seem to score many with his head. He looks like the kind of player Bennett was trying to be. 

I'm fairly confident Smith won't sign.

Even with the current situation, a lot of League 1 clubs are still in a position to sign players, and signing a 24 year old with over 250 professional appearances, top levels of consistency, and a near flawless injury record is a no-brainer.

The good news is that Legge played every minute this season just gone, and, a few clumsy mishaps aside, was still a good defender. Brisley was pretty good in his half-dozen games, with a MOTM performance away at Northampton, so can clearly contribute if needed.

I still thin, after the forward position, a longer term option at centre back is a necessity. Legge and Brisley will both be in their 30s. Crooks is still young, and feels like more of a centre back than a left back, but isn't ready yet.

Some released options: Krystian Pearce, George Taft, Nathaniel Knight-Percival, Nathan Pond, Luke Prosser, Will Boyle, Harry Davis

Obviously Pond and Pearce are getting on, and Prosser is 31.

I think Taft or Boyle are the pick of the bunch; both in their mid 20s with a lot of games under their belt. Cheltenham fans want to keep Boyle and he might yet receive a contract offer if they sort their finances out with this playoff fiasco, but right now he will become a free agent at the end of June and can start negotiating with other clubs.

Boyle is the same age as Smith, didn't play loads this season due to the form of Cheltenham's exceptional back three, and would be a perfect fit alongside Legge, ahead of Brisley. He's 6"3, and captained them in the last game before lockdown against us.

Archived